993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed (to spend some money) for a '96 C2 tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015 | 12:49 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Oliver in Malaysia, username 993MY, was headed down this road with a RHD car. Send him a PM and see what he has to say?
Old 01-04-2015 | 02:14 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
take lots of pics....

r u changing the gauges?
I would love more pictures, but my mechanic in HK is not so motivated to send them, so I have to do with what he sends...

Gauges are a low priority, but was thinking maybe I could just replace the speedo face with a non-tiptronic face to cover the gear selection leds... Haven't really investigated yet though. Priority is just getting the mechanical work completed, then I'll tinker with the detail items once back in Australia...

Latest pics below:

PSS-10 and Big Reds installed

Old 01-04-2015 | 02:19 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB 911
Finally had to open what thread had a pretty boring title to see why it kept hanging around. Wow! What an endeavor! I'm glad I opened it.

Well, since you are doing a full repsray, why not buy the rs body kit and paint the splitters and spoliler (as well as your stock splitters), then if you decide to install them, they would already be perfectly color matched. If you decide not to, youd prob be able to sell the kit and get some of it back in AU.

As far as not being there to take many pics, you could ask your mechanic to take a daily or weekly pic or two of progress and email it to you. Would be good for you AND us! Best of luck with the project.
Thanks JB 911. I decided a while ago now that this was never going to be a genuine RS clone, so I'm now just going with the mods I want without regard to authenticity. It will end up visually a NB with a turbo front end, no wing, headlight washer delete and RS Cup replicas. Easy enough to go RS styling later if I want to as I'll hang onto the C2 front bumper.
Old 01-04-2015 | 02:21 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoggel
Oliver in Malaysia, username 993MY, was headed down this road with a RHD car. Send him a PM and see what he has to say?
Thanks hoggel. I'm well underway now, with all $$$ spent on the conversion, so crossing my fingers I got everything right in the planning phase... We should know fairly soon as they appear to be making good progress...
Old 01-12-2015 | 11:42 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Rosswj67
Nice project. You should talk to targatango - sorry I didn't chime in earlier with this information. He's a Sydney boy and in HK as well. He took me for a nice drive in his beast. His car started life like yours and he went to town on it. Tiptronic to manual conversion, rscs look, GT2 suspension, 9meister engine, and a lot more. His car is a dream. All the work was done in HK. He's a top bloke and can probably answer some questions for you on the process of the conversion.

I've done the import part from HK to Aus. For me the process was relatively smooth. The import broker might question the transmission type of the car. When you go to the pits they will probably ask about rear harnesses for seat restraints and the imobilizer for the car. The car should already have these. Take off the rear shelf and you will see the bolt holes for the archors. For the imobilizer - as soon as you turn the car off - it takes 20 seconds to arm - and then your imobilizer is active. Also find out for yourself where the engine serial no is - they will look for this - its hard to find if you don't know where to look. Make sure airbags are good as well.

I'd be interested to hear about the process you took to get the RS wheels from France. I have been thinking of doing this and importing to HK first. And then picking them up in person when I holiday in HK next. What are your thoughts?

And - what will you be doing with the tiptronic transmission after it is out? Would you like to sell it? I am looking for a spare one to be sent to England to have some professional work done on it.

Anyway - hope to see more pics soon.
Good luck
Regards
Ken

Last edited by haygeebaby; 01-13-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2015 | 12:06 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Rosswj67
Nice project. You should talk to targatango - sorry I didn't chime in earlier with this information. He's a Sydney boy and in HK as well. He took me for a nice drive in his beast. His car started life like yours and he went to town on it. Tiptronic to manual conversion, rscs look, GT2 suspension, 9meister engine, and a lot more. His car is a dream. All the work was done in HK. He's a top bloke and can probably answer some questions for you on the process of the conversion.

I've done the import part from HK to Aus. For me the process was relatively smooth. The import broker might question the transmission type of the car. When you go to the pits they will probably ask about rear harnesses for seat restraints and the imobilizer for the car. The car should already have these. Take off the rear shelf and you will see the bolt holes for the archors. For the imobilizer - as soon as you turn the car off - it takes 5 seconds to arm - and then your imobilizer is active. Also find out for yourself where the engine serial no is - they will look for this - its hard to find if you don't know where to look. Make sure airbags are good as well.

I'd be interested to hear about the process you took to get the RS wheels from France. I have been thinking of doing this and importing to HK first. And then picking them up in person when I holiday in HK next. What are your thoughts?

And - what will you be doing with the tiptronic transmission after it is out? Would you like to sell it? I am looking for a spare one to be sent to England to have some professional work done on it.

Anyway - hope to see more pics soon.
Good luck
Regards
Ken
Hi Ken. Yes, if I had known about "Project Orange" when it went up for sale back in 2012 I would have been first in line... Would have saved me a lot of time and expense!

Thanks for the tips on the import process - would love to hear more about it and enquire who you used as you mention a broker? I have yet to confirm any import details as my build time frame is a bit vague at the HK end... They have all the parts, but I think are likely juggling multiple jobs and won't commit to a timeframe as yet.

The wheels from Tramont were a breeze. Very happy with the service and the wheels. Just email Christine at Tramont and she can sort you out. Wheels were 2091.20 Euro and shipping to HK (collection from the airport) was 450 Euro. I went with 8.5 x 18 ET52 and 10 x 18 ET58 for my NB. Note that they were delivered in 2 packages 60x60x60cm each weighing 30kg each - might be challenging to bring back with the airline

I'm happy to sell the tip. It won't be making the trip back to Australia, so will have to go. PM me when you know your plans...

I'm hoping for more pics soon too ... Only updates so far are these...

Note that the left rotor was not in the initial shipment as backordered. I have since had it supplied so hopefully all the brakes are now done.

Ross
Old 01-15-2015 | 01:21 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Default Gearbox...

We have liftoff....

Old 01-15-2015 | 11:47 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rosswj67
I would love more pictures, but my mechanic in HK is not so motivated to send them, so I have to do with what he sends...

Gauges are a low priority, but was thinking maybe I could just replace the speedo face with a non-tiptronic face to cover the gear selection leds... Haven't really investigated yet though. Priority is just getting the mechanical work completed, then I'll tinker with the detail items once back in Australia...

Latest pics below:

PSS-10 and Big Reds installed

Hi, rosswj -

Neat project. A labor of love for sure, cost be damned! Seems that Porsche ownership is never about value --- I can relate. :-)

Not to be alarmist --- you might want to check fitment of the red brakes in the rear against the Tramont Cup 10x18 ET+58. I have the black brakes and the clearance from the caliper body to the back of the spokes of the wheel is very small.

I do not know the dimensions of the rear red brakes. Logically I think that "it must work --- I am sure Tramont has researched this many times" .... but I wanted to point this out to you just to check....
Old 01-15-2015 | 12:15 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Big project, keep it coming.
Old 01-15-2015 | 08:06 PM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jlaa
Hi, rosswj -

Neat project. A labor of love for sure, cost be damned! Seems that Porsche ownership is never about value --- I can relate. :-)

Not to be alarmist --- you might want to check fitment of the red brakes in the rear against the Tramont Cup 10x18 ET+58. I have the black brakes and the clearance from the caliper body to the back of the spokes of the wheel is very small.

I do not know the dimensions of the rear red brakes. Logically I think that "it must work --- I am sure Tramont has researched this many times" .... but I wanted to point this out to you just to check....
Thanks Jlaa,

Yes, labor of love is very apt. There are much simpler ways I could have achieved this, but what would be the fun in that?

I'll make sure to test the rear Tramonts on the car, but I specifically requested them to be compatible with the big reds and Tramont responded with:

"Furthermore we inform you that with big red brakes the wheel at the rear is still 10 x 18 ET 58 but with an 2" outer rim (instead of 2,5" outer rim with black brakes) as the center part/hub must be thicker to leave room for the brakes."

So hopefully all good!
Old 01-16-2015 | 02:58 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cvgnjcxvhj
Whoever rebuilt the transmission would probably know all the parts you need to make the conversion and appreciate the extra business.

I'd wait on the re-spray until you got her home just in case.
That sage advice was from Cemoto in the second post on this thread.

Rosswj67, My first time reading this thread. I could't get past the "tiptronic" in the title before, but there's so much salt on the roads this week I've got nothing but time now. Great story! I admire your determination to convert the car to manual and ship her back home - true Aussie spirit, and looks to be a first class conversion! Can't wait to see the finished product with the new wheels and respray. In the meantime, why not pay your mechanic for a few more pictures?
Old 01-16-2015 | 11:46 AM
bb3188
Cruisin'

Hi Rosswj Great project ! What's the deal with the electrics side ? If you pull out the tip trans out and run the manual box , the tiptronic control unit will send a fault signal back to the Ecu ? If that the case how do you over come this ? Did your g50 gearbox come with the original ECU from the Donor car ? Cheers Mark
Old 01-17-2015 | 12:48 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Foxman
That sage advice was from Cemoto in the second post on this thread.

Rosswj67, My first time reading this thread. I could't get past the "tiptronic" in the title before, but there's so much salt on the roads this week I've got nothing but time now. Great story! I admire your determination to convert the car to manual and ship her back home - true Aussie spirit, and looks to be a first class conversion! Can't wait to see the finished product with the new wheels and respray. In the meantime, why not pay your mechanic for a few more pictures?
Thanks Foxman. Interesting idea... I'll suggest a nominal price per photo for the ongoing work and see if he bites...
Old 01-17-2015 | 12:53 AM
rosswj67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bb3188
Hi Rosswj Great project ! What's the deal with the electrics side ? If you pull out the tip trans out and run the manual box , the tiptronic control unit will send a fault signal back to the Ecu ? If that the case how do you over come this ? Did your g50 gearbox come with the original ECU from the Donor car ? Cheers Mark
Hi Mark. Absolutely agree. I considered sourcing a manual ECU, but in the end had Juuso build me an ECU based on the MS3 processor as per this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...er-1000-a.html.

So I guess I'm going to find out what happens when we transplant in the replacement ECU and attempt to fire it up... It won't care about manual/tip, so in theory should just work. I'll deal with the speedo, tiptronic steering wheel controls etc after it's back to Australia.
Old 01-17-2015 | 12:58 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

This is an awesome Ross, as I'm sure you know.

If youre interested, use your Tip wheel controls to control your stereo. I've wished I bought a Tip wheel to try this ever since I upgraded to a 3 spoke 996 wheel. I think user "Spyder_man"(?) wrote up a tutorial on using Tip controls for his stereo. Could be a different user, hard to keep track of in my head.

Quick Reply: Help needed (to spend some money) for a '96 C2 tip