Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: How to Build a 3.8L Porsche Track Monster

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

So my C4S weighs about 3200 iirc, which translates to 11.35 lb/hp.

To get equivalent of 350hp motor (9.14lb/hp) one could lose 620 pounds, which would improve handling as well.

Even losing 300 would be equivalent to having 3.8 RS engine with 310hp. Of course then there is not much to brag about.

From what I heard, the 964 has very heavy Awd system, so just removing that would probably result in decent performance gains, and with winter tires and weight in the rear I'm not sure how much more beneficial the AWD in winter anyways.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflying
Did not like how they did the liner to case sealing, on a 3.8 with slip ins, they should cut the case spigots for the correct RS seals, just a thought.......
The LN Engineering Cylinders are never machined for rings, Charles says if they are installed correctly there are no issues... I know Steve W prefers to do the rings and machines the cylinders to suit if he installs LN Cylinders. Horses for Courses i guess.

I have LN cylinders in my 4.0l build and seal it with Curil T (which stays soft) and the seal is perfect!

Originally Posted by callipygian 911
I've heard a rumor that 3.8 slip ins tend to deform over a surprisingly short timeframe. This is not a huge problem in race engines that get torn down regularly. When long-term durability is a concern, some prefer thick-walled, bore-in, Mahle pistons and cylinders. <sips kool-aid>

It depends on the cylinders, Charles has a 200 hour race engine that used 105mm bores, so a 2mm thik wall where the cylinder enters the case and thicker from there up and there was no warping or ovaling of the cylinders.

Forged vs cast cylinders tends to be the difference here... Much less chance of warping in a forged cylinder. These is also the type of alloy used but that is another conversation.

Disclaimer, Yes I have the LN cylinders in my car and the car is part of a project series in Excellence, however I paid full price for the LN Cylinders and Pistons in the car so I have no kickbacks for saying anything. In my decision process I wanted the best I could afford while getting the 4.0 I desired.

Originally Posted by NYC993
The question I have is if one is doing top end ($8-10k??), it is worth it to spring for extra (12-15k) and get 3.8-4.0l version with various upgrades to get to 350-400hp? How reliable are these "new" engines? If you ever decide to sell, would you get extra money back with higher resale? or are you better off just dealing with lower HP but keeping it original and more reliable?
Trust me, 350 to 400 is neither easy or cheap! Quads comments below are spot on. To make this sort of power you need big cams, and need to turn the engine to at least 7500 and potentially more. While some people believe the stock 993 crank is good for 7800 or so, that is something I don't agree with. for me anything over 7500 you need to be considering GT3 cranks and oil pumps, this will ensure the bottom end will handle the rpm...

The other issue in making the big numbers are the heads, iat these levels it is not sufficient to just put RS valves oin the stock heads. You need to look at the CNC head oiptions (9M, Elite etc).

If you are doing this for resale, do a stock rebuild and be done with it.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You may get some money back, but not all, and it may decrease the pool of buyers as many are scared of mods and prefer factory stock. For most resale, you'd want to source as much oem RS stuff as you could I would think.

As long as you don't spin the engine much past 7000rpm, it should be reliable, but it ain't making 400bhp at that point either.

I think just slapping 3.8 P&C in there is terrible from a cost/benefit perspective (unless your originals are hosed).

To me its either a stockish rebuild or a ***** out effort making that 350 to 400bhp.

My guess is an honest 350bhp motor would cost almost $30k from a good builder, with a 400bhp motor running nearly $50k.
Correct on all counts!!!

Originally Posted by KaiB
Bingo. There will be naysayers, but these numbers are right on the money(sic).
Another guy that knows
Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

It used to be that one natural progression to obtain more power was to go to a Turbo from a NA car - because for the price difference you get a car engineered for extra power, including different transmission (with closer to euro gearing), driveshafts, clutch, brakes, etc. The entire driveline was looked at by Porsche, not just the engine. But now, it seems the prices of the Turbos has risen so much that the gap is much larger, so it's not a practical option unless you really WANT a Turbo and have deep pockets.

I looked at a bunch of options when I rebuilt my engine, such as 3.8 kits, 9M heads, RS cams/valves/chips, other cams, etc., and even other options such as regearing the transmission or SC kits. All the options (to me at least) were really really expensive for the return, and I was not willing to spend the money. The return on investment if selling the car is poor, I would say less than 25 cents to the dollar.

I was also worried about cross impacts of increased power, such as the bottom end of the engine, or driveline stresses.

Weight loss is another option, but I liked having air conditioning when its hot, or carpets in the car rather than bare metal, and that is definitely an option that actually costs quite a bit too - which is only realized when you sell the car. The price for a stripped 993 is definitely lower, and the pool of buyers smaller. If you elect to put it all back, then there is the labor, paid or unpaid, to do that.

So one thing for sure though, hot rodding in the Porsche world is not cheap!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-28-2014, 12:24 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mik I am with you. For people like you and me who can do the work ourselves, the cost is still substantial for numbers that are still below 993tt numbers.

I for one, while I love turbo cars and raced them for years, I really love a high reving NA engine for the track.

Of course making the car light and adding more power is the perfect recipe as far as I am concerned... My car (with carpet, but no A/C) weighs just over 2700lb and I am north of 350hp... Stock GT3's on the track are no competition.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:07 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
My car (with carpet, but no A/C) weighs just over 2700lb and I am north of 350hp... Stock GT3's on the track are no competition.
Showroom stock? Sure. Suspension-for-suspension, I'd say I'm at least 1.5 sec/min lap time behind one (equal drivers). Of course I'm 200 lbs. heavier, and 40+HP short. Fastest ~2900 lb. on track 996 GT3 with a stock engine and a license plate I believe is sub-1:55 Thunderhill (Full)/1:37 Laguna. Maybe quicker now as I've not even been on track in 2+ years.

Anyway, when we see the direction this thread has taken, maybe you guys understand why I'd just bypass the air cooled and stuff the 996 Turbo engine in if I wanted to go Stupid Power. For me, I can't really tell much difference between stock and stock+50. Sure, you look at data. But in car, unless it's competition, how often are you running Grade A tires or are fully clean on a lap? So 2MPH higher entry speed isn't all that.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 379 Posts

It's amazing to me the controversy this sort of thing seems to generate, The guy had a nice motor built w/i his budget by a great shop also working w/i the customers budget, Spenser was kind enough to allow some video to be shot of the process, he didn't have to do that and many shops wouldn't allow it.

A lot of guys won't post their projects because of all the sniping and criticizing that goes on after the fact

Could things be doe differently, sure
could he have spent a lot more money for a more performance, sure
could other things be done to the car, sure
but so what

I say well done and enjoy!!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 well said
Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

The most cost effective 3.8 build is one the former owner paid for. Unless they screwed it up of course . . .

There is something very appealing about the lumpy idle of the RS cam, and the slower turn over when starting due to the higher compression. :-)

You instantly know it is not a stock 993 motor. At least, that is the case with mine.

Regards,

Last edited by Cemoto; 08-28-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
It's amazing to me the controversy this sort of thing seems to generate, The guy had a nice motor built w/i his budget by a great shop also working w/i the customers budget, Spenser was kind enough to allow some video to be shot of the process, he didn't have to do that and many shops wouldn't allow it.

A lot of guys won't post their projects because of all the sniping and criticizing that goes on after the fact

Could things be doe differently, sure
could he have spent a lot more money for a more performance, sure
could other things be done to the car, sure
but so what

I say well done and enjoy!!
where is the controversy. A bunch of people are discussing the various benefits, costs, and drawbacks of certain motor packages.

Its the internet, if you can't take a little bit of negative feedback, you need to take up knitting.

At least its a bloody tech thread not some bull**** about values, insurance, or which valve stem caps future owners may like best.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
where is the controversy. A bunch of people are discussing the various benefits, costs, and drawbacks of certain motor packages.

Its the internet, if you can't take a little bit of negative feedback, you need to take up knitting.

At least its a bloody tech thread not some bull**** about values, insurance, or which valve stem caps future owners may like best.
Ha. Here's my "+1".

But I'll add that putting "Track Monster" in relation to what this car was/is just sets the table for said "controversy."

(Shuddering at the thought of the internet existing in the '80s, and all the "500HP" CIS 930s that were built.)
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of "track monster"...

I MAY get involved in a 440hp 3.9 soon...
Old 08-29-2014, 09:12 AM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Speaking of "track monster"...

I MAY get involved in a 440hp 3.9 soon...

Quick Reply: Video: How to Build a 3.8L Porsche Track Monster