Sponsored by:

Stolen 993 c2s Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
As much as I hate to say this.... Has your car been to Beverly Hills Porsche lately? I live in the area and there have been to many 993s stolen from the West LA and Beach Cities area.
Not meaning to single out or imply BHP, but I too have noticed a rash of thefts in this part of the world as posted here.

An unscrupulous employee of any dealership that has a VIN would be able to acquire the immobilizer code, reprogram a remote, and have a key made.

All they need to do is drive by one night, note the VIN, go to work the next day and start the process.

I hope the best for you.

Regards,

Old 05-20-2014, 01:18 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
As much as I hate to say this.... Has your car been to Beverly Hills Porsche lately? I live in the area and there have been to many 993s stolen from the West LA and Beach Cities area.
Wasn't a 993 Turbo S stolen from BHP's shop a year or so ago? I wonder if that car was ever recovered or if BHP paid up.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 AM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry to hear of this. I can only imagine how angry I would be and I truly hope you will recover it fast and in a good condition.

Maybe someone on here has connections to the local dismantlers and if anything related shows up they can let you know?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A coupe of years ago they showed a documentary on Swedish television called French Mafia. I remember it was interesting to watch. In it they start a Mini Cooper S connecting a computer to the OBD2.

The episode about the car thefts take place from 3 minutes into the documentary. Those among you that understand french can understand what the thieves are saying. 5 minutes into the documentary they find the Mini Cooper. At the 6 minutes mark they explain the computer in question. It´s Russian made. It can start any car apparently. Just made for car thieves and very expensive and rare. Cost about 10 000 Euro. At 8 minutes mark they show how they start the car in question.

Another thing that I read lately about car thefts is that they block the signal when you lock you car with the remote. That way car car is unlocked and they can get in easy without starting the alarm. Always make sure that the car is really locked when leaving it.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I suspect that professionals were involved and when they want a car, there is not much that can be done other than making sure you have good insurance and do not park these cars on the street or driveway with easy street access.

Interesting comment about Beverly Hills Porsche. From past posts about BHP questionable ethical behaviors, I would not be surprised that one of their employees is part of a theft ring.

Unfortunately Europeans are paying silly money for air cooled Porsches and the OP's car is likely in a container awaiting shipment.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Unfortunately Europeans are paying silly money for air cooled Porsches and the OP's car is likely in a container awaiting shipment.
I wonder if stolen air cooled Porsches makes their way to say Germany or another like-likminded civilized western european country. If they do they won't be sold for silly money. It´s probably easier to ship stolen cars to parts of the world where they are not that strict or where officials can be bribed. Many stolen high-end cars stolen in western europe ends up in eastern europe all the way to the Near and Far East. In some of these countries even officials are driving around in stolen Mercedes from Germany.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Locks are only for honest people. I'm very sorry for your loss. It is a true and personal violation when a car is stolen or a home broken into.

This is a sad reminder to review our stated value policies with the recent rise in values.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Sen24
AutoX

I havent taken it to BHP but that makes sense. I was told theres a large chance it was an 'ordered' car and done by professionals, usually to ship overseas. the fact that there was no broken glass and i heard the car drive away means they knew what they were doing.
Im not holding out much hope. Anyone has a spare c2S for sale?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Very sorry to hear about this.

Too many Porsches being stolen in LA...and 993s in particular.

pete
Old 05-20-2014, 01:05 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Check out Pete's post count!

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 01:49 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

It's sick to see how many of these cars are getting stolen. I wouldn't doubt if it's the same ring that stole the other one I just brought up
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 PM
memikeyp
Track Day

Damn, so sorry to hear this, I've seen your car around town a few times, beautiful. I hope you get her back, or find another one!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Since I have been on Rennlist over the last 10 years, almost all of the 993's stolen in LA have been on the west side of town between Hollywood and Santa Monica .
Old 05-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with what was posted earlier, for future reference. Pull the DME, then lets see them drive it away. At least you may hear them cranking it over. They may get nervous & abort.
Of course, they could come back w/a tow truck if they want it that bad.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:08 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Sorry about your beautiful car. I cannot help to turn my head every time I see a beautiful 993. I saw more than a couple of times a beautiful dark 993 in the driveway of a small residential building not too far from the small mall where La Scala is located, in Brentwood. If this is your car, someone else also noticed it and your car might have been targeted and not randomly picked. I assume you called 911 immediately but your car should have been easy to spot by CHP in the highways. So how did they get away? Sad to see it go like this. I will keep my eyes open just in case. Good luck with search and keep us posted please.

Quick Reply: Stolen 993 c2s Los Angeles