993 Forum 1995-1998

CCU repair cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:12 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CCU repair cost

We all know 993 prices are sky rocketing. But I got surprised when I contact ECU Doctor to ask the repair cost for a CCU... $850!

From other post, the fee was around $300.

Here is how they justify their price, what do you think?

"The problem in these units is that the processor has an issue that is very difficult to repair. Our repair is unique in the fact that we can repair the processor.

No other company does this and their fixes are essentially a "band aid" to cover up the true issue."
Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 244 Posts

Issues with the CCU microprocessor are seldom seen. Other repair shops (in Germany) have a fixed price of USD 450, that include a new micro if needed.
The repair cost will depend on what the problem is. A change of a servo driver or two (probably the most common fault) would normally amount to about USD150 at some repair service shops. That's about an hours work. I don't see the need for fixing anything in the microprocessor section if it works fine. To my knowledge, there's no "true issues" in the CCU other than it could be better protected from external faults such as worn servo motors and shorts in the sensor inputs/GND network.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jg291446
We all know 993 prices are sky rocketing. But I got surprised when I contact ECU Doctor to ask the repair cost for a CCU... $850!

From other post, the fee was around $300.

Here is how they justify their price, what do you think?

"The problem in these units is that the processor has an issue that is very difficult to repair. Our repair is unique in the fact that we can repair the processor.

No other company does this and their fixes are essentially a "band aid" to cover up the true issue."
I used ACi in TN to replace the circuit boards recently and it was $450. If it had been a repair of the existing boards it would have cost $325.

G
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 342 Posts
Smile I have a guy...

PM me and I'll hook you up...He is in SoCal and has a steep electronics background. He is reasonable too...low over head, one man shop.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you tried Loren @ Systems Consulting? He handles control unit repair for probably every Porsche repair shop on the west coast.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:10 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help guys! I think ECU doctor, ASI and Loren are the 3 most known companies who repair CCU.

I just fell off my chair when ECU doctor told me his price.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:09 AM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello guys, I just wanted to pitch in and explain.

We really put our greatest effort because we care.

These Porsche 964 and 993 AC CCUs suffer from different "weaknesses".

We fixed a couple 100 units when we came across a "software malfunction" or "inconsistency" which produced a few warranties claims.

As soon as we discovered this issue, we paused accepting new Repair orders for these units, and began to work on a solution. (We are still honoring past customer's 5 Year Warranties.)

The result is going to be a Complete Repair Service in the entire sense of the phrase. Otherwise you are just putting a "band aid" on the problem. In addition to this, we intend to write a new software for the Climate Control Unit which will improve the functionally and user-friendliness of the unit. (More on this later...)

We believe that when someone pays for a Service they expect it done right the first time. That's our goal. (Plus, I don't want to embarrass myself and see my wife sweating in the car because a job didn't get done right.)

Check out the pictures below to see what we were doing this weekend in order to get this right...

Last edited by ECU Doctors; 05-12-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: images links
Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 244 Posts

Wow, I am impressed by your thoroughness in this, you guys really have dug deep into the CCU!
Cheers,
Tore
Old 07-25-2016, 12:23 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Default CCU repair - Bad & Good experience

DELETE
Old 07-26-2016, 05:48 PM
gw911nine97
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, was this just repair cost in USD or CAD??
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you go to their website, you will note that they no longer repair sent in units; but, instead offer an exchange only for a rebuilt unit at a cost of $1075 USD. That is about twice the cost of their competition; however, ECU doctors provides an updated software package with their exchange units, which accounts for some of the added cost.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a great experience with Loren at Systems Consulting. Also, extremely helpful over the phone - above and beyond the call.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:29 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

still waiting (after their 2+ year old post) for an explanation from ECU Doctors of the "improved software"

Ernie - do you perchance know what is improved?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
still waiting (after their 2+ year old post) for an explanation from ECU Doctors of the "improved software"

Ernie - do you perchance know what is improved?
Doug,

I have no idea as to what ECU Doctors provides in the way of software. I was simply recanting what I read on their website. So, I cannot speak to the scope or quality of work they perform on CCU's.

Having said that, ECU Doctors provided changes to my ECU that corrected a stalling issue that I had been fighting for over a year following an engine rebuild. I had a lot of advice and paid over $2000 for several professionals to resolve the stalling issue, with no success.

My experience with them on trying various software items was very encouraging. The initial charge for their work was about $450; however, when their initial work did not cure my issue, they continued to take the ECU back in order to try out different items. In total, I believe the ECU went back to them three times until they finally provided a fix that worked. All the work and effort that went into that solution was covered by their 5 year warranty from my initial charge.. So, I am a satisfied customer. I would tend to give them consideration regarding their CCU work. But, I would call them to discuss the nature of the software. Ask for Jorge. It's a lot of money to spend, and its certainly reasonable to have them explain what you are getting for your $1000.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:07 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ernie, thanks so much for the nice comments.

Most ECU jobs get turned around within 5 days and are done right on the 1st go around.

Yours was definitely a challenge!

When we heard back from you saying that everything worked fine and your issue was fixed, we had a little celebration here! Hahaha

We're super glad that you are happy.

We know that the feeling that you get when your car is running right is incredible.

Doug, about the 964 and 993 CCUs we have that proyect completed and we actually made a video about it.

Here is it:

Here is more detailed information: http://www.ecudoctors.com/porsche-hv...trol-unit.html

Let me know if I can answer any questions

Quick Reply: CCU repair cost