Oh No!! .... Not another 993 Speedster Project - Pure Sex Edition

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
TwinTurbo959 - cool project.
BTW, I like the look of the clamshell with the black decal on it.
Visually, I think it lightens up the shell so it doesn't appear so heavy.
This works because the car is white. This effect might not be the same on some colors.
I'm with BTB. Also, it will make it look a little different than all the other 993 speedsters you see every day.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I'm with BTB. Also, it will make it look a little different than all the other 993 speedsters you see every day.
i'm with you guys too.... i think with the white cars it does look HEAVY.... that and maybe a red car.... but definitely a white car.

So now, the next part.... where to get this foil? I will see if it is an OEM part or i will just have a foil guy come and make it based on pictures.

Thanks for your opinions, it helps put me on the right direction!

-Ben
Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo959

with the white cars it does look HEAVY....
Something to think about if heaviness is a concern:
If installing a wood-frame rear seat delete, in-dash stereo with speakers in cab door panels -- YMMV but I removed them for weight savings toward the Speedster mantra, "lighter = faster" FWIW. Now just RS/Speedster interior door card panels without speakers, rear carpet, & stereo delete. Added bonus: that clean look.

Speaking of interiors, look for a PM from me with hyperlinks & references.

In person, you mentioned a carbon fiber-framed parcel shelf delete concept. Sounds cool
As does this here little morsel:

charge-cooled stealth/sleeper 3.8L Twinturbo kit
Delish ^^
Old 05-16-2014, 12:35 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

They say black is slimming:

Rear Clamshell - putting black on leading parts

with the white cars it does look HEAVY.

So now.... where to get this? i will have a guy come and make it based on pictures.
Have the guy bring Sharpies, available in most check-out aisles

Like Mike said:
Originally Posted by gonzilla

Also, it will make it look a little different than all the other 993 speedsters you see every day.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rear Clamshell - debating on making it look thinner, Opinions Please?

photos to help your opinion(s):

Speedster Clamshell without and with black film:

with the white cars it does look HEAVY....

So .... where to get? I will see if it is an OEM part or i will have a guy make it.

Thanks for your opinions!
While considering custom clamshell modifications to make it look lighter...
Literally lighter in weight is a smaller clamshell -- as shown here, & it may further cut weight by deleting a rear parcel shelf (RSD).

Plus, you also asked me about rollbars; these pics tackle both subjects.

It allows rear-seat usage (minus rollbar) in the CarGraphic Speedster you told me you're somewhat familiar with, IIRC.
From the "Why don't more cab owners install ROLLBARS?" thread:
Originally Posted by curve lover

How do you like? Think it would fit a 993 cab & look good?

Thanks to cargraphic.de, more photos:
Originally Posted by dunavantent

Holy Crap! That black speedster has back seats. I'm going to have to cut more out for my seats to fit.
Originally Posted by dunavantent

I'm going to make my rollbar removable and have a shell fabricated. I'll cut out the center to fit seats!!

You MUST mount roll bars to the framing structure and not the floor. I created a triangle box out of HEAVY gauge metal. I also had to remove my glove box lower dash and install lower knee pads. I’m cramped.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Rear Speedster Badge - Debating on having it painted white, Opinions Please?
To me I don't think it would work well. I understand the goal of color matching is to make it subtle, but to me it just makes me go "what is that," and then I need to look closer. Distracting to me. It would also show dirt.

It also reminds me of a bad paintjob where nobodoy masked the badges (let alone remove them for a proper repaint). And in case you were wondering, I have seen paintjobs where the badges were painted right over.

A black badge on black paint works for me, but I don't think white on white would.

The subtlest I would go is a silver badge. Otherwise, pick up on another part of the color scheme, such as the black interior.

Just my opinion!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
To me I don't think it would work well. I understand the goal of color matching is to make it subtle, but to me it just makes me go "what is that," and then I need to look closer. Distracting to me. It would also show dirt.

It also reminds me of a bad paintjob where nobodoy masked the badges (let alone remove them for a proper repaint). And in case you were wondering, I have seen paintjobs where the badges were painted right over.

A black badge on black paint works for me, but I don't think white on white would.

The subtlest I would go is a silver badge. Otherwise, pick up on another part of the color scheme, such as the black interior.

Just my opinion!
Opinions are welcomed!!)) that's why i am asking..... i wish more people would give me constructive feedback.... to those who have, THANK YOU!!

-Ben
Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Default UPDATE Recaro A8 Seats - The Holy Grail of Car Seats

this is pure ****:

(these pictures don't do these seats justice....i'll take more with a better camera in better light tomorrow)

Why these seat? A few reasons:
(1) they look amazing in the cars and started the whole paint the seat-body-color thing
(2) they area amazingly supportive and stylish at the same time
(3) they recline, so, instead of that one position one-size-suits-all of racing seats you have some adjustment
(4) they fold forward, so you have access to what little room we have back there
(5) i suffer from back problems..... with these seats i don't have any pain in my back regardless of how far i travel. It is that supportive!

and (6) they look amazing!!! (i know i said that already)

-Ben
Old 05-16-2014, 09:17 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Where did you source them?
If you have info that might help others searching for A8s, please post details on the "seats showcase: Recaro OEM hardback bucket" thread.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:31 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

(5) i suffer from back problems..... with these seats i don't have any pain in my back regardless of how far i travel. It is that supportive!

I mean.... for my Wife.....
Old 05-17-2014, 10:15 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Opinions are welcomed!!)) that's why i am asking..... i wish more people would give me constructive feedback.... to those who have, THANK YOU!!

-Ben
Glad it helps you.

I might consider adding something to your build list:

Since you seem to be doing a complete widebody 'appearance' package, sans rear fenders, (front airdam and 'look' rockers) have you considered grafting a WB rear bumper cover onto the rear? It would need some massaging to be mated to the NB rear fenders, and maybe extra/custom heat shielding inside, but it might flow nicely with the rockers.

Also, if for the interior you and your wife decide to keep stock door cards with pockets, etc., perhaps consider adding a more luxurious spec to the interior. I.e. full leather (dash, doors), contrasting piping/stitching, etc.

Speaking of interiors, is the interior color decision finalized? If not, I might suggest doing a dark blue instead of black.

with these seats i don't have any pain in my back regardless of how far i travel. It is that supportive!
A good reason, especially with the 901-993 cabin's offset and upright seating position.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Glad it helps you.

I might consider adding something to your build list:

Since you seem to be doing a complete widebody 'appearance' package, sans rear fenders, (front airdam and 'look' rockers) have you considered grafting a WB rear bumper cover onto the rear? It would need some massaging to be mated to the NB rear fenders, and maybe extra/custom heat shielding inside, but it might flow nicely with the rockers.

Also, if for the interior you and your wife decide to keep stock door cards with pockets, etc., perhaps consider adding a more luxurious spec to the interior. I.e. full leather (dash, doors), contrasting piping/stitching, etc.
About the "widebody" appearance, i most likely will not put the "turbo-look" sideskirts on... i changed my mind.... and i think it is something i will let my wife decide because after looking at many 993 speedsters... there is something special about that "clean look".

Interior: no decision yet besides Recaro A8 seats.... and i will try to convince her of the RS Door cards.... we will see

Keep it coming with ideas....

-Ben
Old 05-17-2014, 01:52 PM
TwinTurbo959
Rennlist Member

Default SEAT BACKS.... Need to be redone...

didn't notice this yesterday... the paint job on the seats is awful. I gave it to another painter today to have them redone..... it's a good thing i am not pressed for time!!

Old 05-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

OMG, I hate incompetence.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:38 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Who painted the seat backs?

Andreas