Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....

Old 04-19-2014, 10:22 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
What? At Café Diametrically Opposed.

The warranty of this pizza was honored ....eating the pizza over and over for 12,000 miles in 6 months, that was Nick 991's choice. Nick 991 simply doesn't like the warranty term's. Best of luck to him. ....
There is another way to look at it. Porsche didn't keep up their end of the bargain in providing a functioning reliable vehicle. Warranties don't really address those drastic situations and are written by the mfg in their favor of course. I suppose if we were talking about a rental car I could see your point. Either way I take my hat off to Nick for playing hardball with the big boys and getting what he thought was fair.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good for Nick 991.. and after all the audition time he's spent with the viral video's Porsche acquiesced up another couple of $ grand for the mileage used. Thankful its not all for not. Good for Nick 991. I luv the hash tag comments ….. Agreed the last one about the roof rack, Range Rover and sheep is Hilarious! Hey,, what’s so out of place with a 911 coupe roof rack and lumber from the yard? Or kayak ….. What's next? A 911 w/ a trailer hitch towing a track tire trailer .....
Tried to make it simple to follow. You are confusing warranties with customer service. One is what you have to do, the other is what you should do. You must be a lawyer.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Nope... not a lawyer. A EE.

All the customer service (served up by the dealership and Porsche) up to the minute special Nick 991 doesn't get what he wants, doesn't count. There was customer service aplenty from Nick 991s own admission... but at the bitter end what was/is otherwise usual and customary,, didn't suit Nick 991. I get it Nick is special. Now let's enjoy his success for the next 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Tried to make it simple to follow. You are confusing warranties with customer service. One is what you have to do, the other is what you should do. You must be a lawyer.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:43 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Nope... not a lawyer. A EE. All the customer service (served up by the dealership and Porsche) the minute special Nick 991 doesn't get what he want. There was customer service aplenty from Nick 991s own admission... but at the bitter end what was/is otherwise usual and customary,, didn't suit Nick 991. I get it Nick is special. Now let's enjoy his success for the next 15 minutes.
Not sure what an EE is, but customer service should have taken him to what he wanted not what they were willing to offer. Truth is their lawyers were behind them telling them not to give a full refund because it will set precedent. The finance team was behind them saying if our warranty costs go up our earnings will suffer. Neither of those are good reasons.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:08 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation Victory! Porsche Says They'll Buy "Lemon 911" Guy's Car Back

Posted yesterday on Jalopnik.com's "Victory! Porsche Says They'll Buy "Lemon 911" Guy's Car Back:"

Originally Posted by Jason Torchinsky

we brought you the sad story of a man and the Porsche 911 that let him down. Many of you sympathized with this fellow gearhead, and hoped Porsche would do right by the guy. It turns out, they will!

Jalopnik was informed directly by Porsche that they agreed to purchase the Porsche for the original value and get him an exact replacement of his car if that's what he wants. That seems to be the best solution to this whole mess, and would do a lot to improve Porsche's public perception in this whole affair.

Also, commenter McMike noted that there's this annotation on the original video:
Originally Posted by McMike

The video is still up but I have put I note on it that this is resolved. I think I will leave the video up and point people to a new video to talk about what happened.

In the end TV and Radio were wanting to get involved as well and it had frankly gotten a lot bigger than I had ever expected so I was glad to get the call.

PCNA were offering me what they thought I would get a arbertation which is the standard offer for these sorts of cases, where as my position was that I felt what I had been through was more than just a standard case and wanted a full refund or replacement.

People can decide themselves if they agree or not. I can certainly see PCNA point of view and I hope they could see mine. The difference between what was offered and what I wanted was just a few thousand dollars. It certainly was not worth the mess that this all turned into sadly.

Anyway they have not bribed me or asked me take down the video or anything and because they came to the party and I do still believe in their product I am happy to make a new video saying so.

Also to thank everyone (you guys/ladies in particular) for all your support.I did not want to damage the brand, and I think I need to help people understand that my case was pretty much a one off. Too much hate has been thrown at Porsche for the wrong reasons here and I would like to do what I can to fix that. Their product is good, I just had a disagreement with them over how serious my particular case was. That has been fixed now and I can move on to a new car.
This all sounds like really great news for everyone involved. We'll try and get ahold of Nick and confirm things as well.

Nick has captioned his video with:
Originally Posted by Nick

Porsche have contacted me and will be refunding my money or replacing the car. So good news! I will do a video update shortly.
...which seems to confirm he's accepted their offer.

Porsche says no one has been fired.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:05 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A EE degree is in Electrical Engineering.

Is what you post nothing more than supposition? Do you have actual knowledge of Porsche's back office practices?.... Yeah, I didn't think so.

Porsche treated Nick 991 fairly and on their nickel,,, right up to the part were Nick 991 demanded to be special; $$ for the 12,000 miles driven in 6 months. Good for Hick 991 already and I would hope that he passed the audition .... +991

Kevin -
I'm getting a sense you don't care much for lawyers, maybe so? Yeah right up the point when a dam good lawyer is needed.
Like anything there are dam good lawyer's practicing and there's scum bags. I'll give ya that.

Originally Posted by Kmassed002
Not sure what an EE is, but customer service should have taken him to what he wanted not what they were willing to offer. Truth is their lawyers were behind them telling them not to give a full refund because it will set precedent. The finance team was behind them saying if our warranty costs go up our earnings will suffer. Neither of those are good reasons.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

It always amazes me, despite the human and financial assets at companies' disposal, and their supposed sophistication, how poorly they handle situations and let them become PR nightmares and how few companies get it right when they have the chance to.

Just off the top of my head there was:

The Exxon Valdez spill and initial information released to the public

The BP spill and how they were slow to admit the impact

Ford and its problem with the Explorer

Toyota getting hit with a $1.2B fine for misleading regulators
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/d...ecall-23393270

Now General Motors and it's late recall on ignition switch problems and most recently, although not a company, the Malaysian government on it's handling of the lost 777 jetliner.

Companies get one chance early on to get it right. They don't seem to realize there is a value to their name. It takes years to develop and a few weeks to be torn down. What if Porsche would have instead addressed this problem early, replaced the car which was an obvious lemon (that they could not repair after multiple attempts; a key point to me), then used this guy in an advertisement of how they handle issues which "they so seldom see". That would have been the spin I put on it anyway.

The one company I recall that did it the right way the first time is Johnson and Johnson when they pulled every Tylenol bottle off the shelf after the tampering incident and didn't go back to market until they had tamper proof bottles. You don't hear anymore about the issue. It cost them a boatload of money but they got their customers back and then some because they instilled a level of confidence in their product.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

A EE degree is in Electrical Engineering. Is what you post nothing more than supposition? Do you have actual knowledge of Porsche's back office practices?.... Yeah, I didn't think so. Porsche treated Nick 991 fairly and on their nickel,,, right up to the part were Nick 991 demanded to be special; $$ for the 12,000 miles driven in 6 months. Good for Hick 991 already and I would hope that he passed the audition .... +991 Kevin - I'm getting a sense you don't care much for lawyers, maybe so? Yeah right up the point when a dam good lawyer is needed. Like anything there are dam good lawyer's practicing and there's scum bags. I'll give ya that.
Nope, have nothing against lawyers, but your comments to me sound like a lawyers argument, but an engineer would have the same mindset.
As to your comment on knowing their back office practices... Yes I do have a good idea. I evaluate businesses for a living including back office functions. My comment wasn't rocket science. The numbers usually rule most business decisions.

In the end the rest of the internet agreed with Nick and Porsche now knows they f'd up. Plenty of Porsche enthusiasts commented on their social media pages, etc. letting them know they were in the wrong and should fix the issue.

Not much more to argue about here.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 167 Posts

+1 Kevin
and I say that as an engineer ... FFS
Old 04-20-2014, 11:40 AM
midnite993
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a brilliant idea. Special order the new 991 of my dreams with every ridiculously priced option. Post some enthusiastic videos of the car so people see you as an enthusiast, not a whining owner of an expensive car.

Pour/squirt water on computers, doors and floors and record all the results on camera. Boom...12,000 miles of free driving courtesy of Porsche.

I'm not saying he did this, but all of the problems I see could be caused by sabotage or faked (such as the dropping mirrors).

Wonder if it would work for a Lamborghini Aventador.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Nope, have nothing against lawyers, but your comments to me sound like a lawyers argument, but an engineer would have the same mindset.

Although I have a BSEE, I don't pretend to be an Engineer any longer since I've been in management for the last 20 years, but I think even former Engineers would be eager to do a root cause analysis to determine what caused all of these problems. I believe Nick had a frayed wire on his 991 which could have played havoc with his car's computers which are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

A couple of months ago we had an ice storm in MD which caused a prolonged power outage. I have an Inverter Generator which is expensive but it protects against damaging power fluctuations that can harm sensitive electronics, like computers. Two of my neighbors who have inexpensive generators had their computers damaged during the power outage. Since virtually everything on a car is controlled by computers, a possiblity is that the frayed wire caused a voltage spike which in turn damaged the car's computer electronics.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow ... I'd been away for a few days and this is where the Nick 991 saga (insight a mob video) ends? The shill's stepped up with a swing-and-a-miss with the personal attack practices; Lawyers & Engineering professionals beware,,, always post ones CV. (Double EE ref.)

This Nick 911 action should be a required study in years to come....... "Witch Hunt 101".
What has transpired between these two parties only they know .... and Nick 911s message's are highly selective at best. ...

Post #100. "I have a brilliant idea. Special order the new 991 of my dreams with every ridiculously priced option. Post some enthusiastic videos of the car so people see you as an enthusiast, not a whining owner of an expensive car.

Pour/squirt water on computers, doors and floors and record all the results on camera. Boom...12,000 miles of free driving courtesy of Porsche.
I'm not saying he did this, but all of the problems I see could be caused by sabotage or faked (such as the dropping mirrors).
Wonder if it would work for a Lamborghini Aventador".

Originally Posted by fast1

Although I have a BSEE, I don't pretend to be an Engineer any longer since I've been in management for the last 20 years,
Edit/Delete text.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

what is not clear to me from a quick look at this thread and one of the recent videos is what role the dealer and its service dept has played in this. It appears they threw parts at the problem but was this a pro forma exercise or did they really try to stand behind their customer?

Do we really know what the "packages" proposed by PCNA are or are we just speculating? While he may have put on 12K, how many of those could reasonably be characterized as enjoyable the way that car should be enjoyable and how many were beset by engine cutouts, light shows and the other documented problems. There is also the high value of mileage the car makers generally want to attribute.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

wow

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the old days, jerks drove 911s. Now the jerks own the company....