Sponsored by:

"Old" New tires from Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "Old" New tires from Tire Rack

I bought 4 new tires from Tire Rack last week, and I was surprised to see that they had construction dates of 4911 . That seems old to me for new rubber.

I called Tire Rack and spoke with a rep who told me that 1) because the tires are kept in a climate controlled environment and because they are rotated while in storage, they are not deteriorating during their time in storage, and 2) that the manufacturers make tires at only certain times, and that Tire Rack has no control over when they get tires from the manufacturers.

I asked if in the future if I order tires from Tire Rack I could request newer new stock, and she said no.

Does all that sound correct to you?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,411 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
I bought 4 new tires from Tire Rack last week, and I was surprised to see that they had construction dates of 4911 . That seems old to me for new rubber.

I called Tire Rack and spoke with a rep who told me that 1) because the tires are kept in a climate controlled environment and because they are rotated while in storage, they are not deteriorating during their time in storage, and 2) that the manufacturers make tires at only certain times, and that Tire Rack has no control over when they get tires from the manufacturers.

I asked if in the future if I order tires from Tire Rack I could request newer new stock, and she said no.

This is correct. I agree with TR and agree with your request. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. In essence, those tires are late-late 2011 production, making them about 2.5 years old. Not aweful. But close to the threshold I'd accept.

There have been similiar complaints on Rennlist about this in the past. Some members have been successful with getting the tires returned/replaced. But not always.

Cowhorn, any connection:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-closeout.html
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Lex-

No connection. No sale price. No discontinued tire deal. Nothing like that.

They are better than what I replaced, but sheez, I was expecting something from 2013.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my last experience with those people and there not so low prices i stay away. Had brand new tires put on my audi, 2 of the 4 tires inner belts were coming loose and i was half way on a 600 mile trip. Absolutely no care from anyone at tire rack. Tires had less than a 1000 miles on'em.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:13 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same issue with the Hankooks I bought from TireRack last year. I was told the same thing with how they were stored. I mounted them and have not had an issue, but would've liked to have received "new" tires when I was buying new.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Where are some other sources of getting guaranteed fresh late production tires at prices competitive with TR??
Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Where are some other sources of getting guaranteed fresh late production tires at prices competitive with TR??
Discount Tire
Tread Depot
Porsche dealership
Costco

Just to name a few. Many will price match TR.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I would tell tire rack to take those tires back. What tires were those? I can understand 6months to a year, but 2.5 years is unacceptable. How do you know they even were in tirerack's possesion that whole time...in climate controlled ware house.

I bought front tires from tire rack and they were 3 months old.

I read somewhere that tires are not made to be stored for long time. They are made to be on the wheel not stacked on the ground even if they are in climate controlled storage.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

After checking around on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and factoring in CA sales tax, shipping, miscellaneous fees and installation costs I found Costco a good deal within a buck or two of TR.

Costco also are known to stand behind their product lines and staff are available face to face for discussion plus Costco are in charge of the whole deal from initial order to you driving off.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYC993
I would tell tire rack to take those tires back. What tires were those? I can understand 6months to a year, but 2.5 years is unacceptable. How do you know they even were in tirerack's possesion that whole time...in climate controlled ware house.

I bought front tires from tire rack and they were 3 months old.

I read somewhere that tires are not made to be stored for long time. They are made to be on the wheel not stacked on the ground even if they are in climate controlled storage.
The tires are Continental Extreme Contact DW.

Good points. I agree, 6 mos to a year seems reasonable to me, too. But not 2.5 yrs.

I asked for newer and was told that they were probably the newest they had. I'm not very happy with Tire Rack.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Discount Tire
Tread Depot
Porsche dealership
Costco

Just to name a few. Many will price match TR.
Americas tire/discount tire honors tire rack prices. They even have road and track right there in the lobby so you can check prices.

Not sure if they would honor close out prices or not.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Where's our Tire Rack rep......Damon? He always seems to hide from these threads. No commissions in them I presume.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, I'm familiar with Discount Tire and Costco (headquartered near Seattle) but are you taking delivery of the tires and taking them to another shop that has staff that won't set the wheel outside face down on pavement and tire mounting machine that won't scratch the finish of the rims?!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Ok, I'm familiar with Discount Tire and Costco (headquartered near Seattle) but are you taking delivery of the tires and taking them to another shop that has staff that won't set the wheel outside face down on pavement and tire mounting machine that won't scratch the finish of the rims?!
I have not found a place yet where I was impressed I could just leave it to the tire jockeys to mount the tires, at least where I live. People who have that job do not seem a caring or happy lot.

Although I have checked prices against Costco, I have not bought the tires or examined their tire mounting equipment or service as yet.

I had a wonderful experience at Discount Tire where a tire jockey used my wheel centers as stepping stones to walk across a floor crowded with wheels waiting to be mounted. When I got upset he shrugged his shoulders as if "why should I care?". Bottom line, I am not going back.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:10 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
...I called Tire Rack and spoke with a rep who told me that 1) because the tires are kept in a climate controlled environment and because they are rotated while in storage, they are not deteriorating during their time in storage, and 2) that the manufacturers make tires at only certain times, and that Tire Rack has no control over when they get tires from the manufacturers.

bs I think. TR doesn't recommend installing tires 3 years old or older.

Quick Reply: "Old" New tires from Tire Rack