993 Forum 1995-1998

Does One Effect The Other?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 AM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Does One Effect The Other?

I'm in the process of installing a new clutch master & slave cylinder along installing new shocks at all four corners. With the understanding I will be replacing the front struts I need to either disconnect the brake line to free it from the strut or cut the brake hose retainer on the strut to release it. I will need to bleed the clutch after I install the new master & slave cylinders, will I also need to bleed the brake lines even if I do not disconnect the brake lines? I ask this because if I do, I'll just discount the brake lines instead of cutting the retainer.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2014, 10:39 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Good question. I am getting ready to install new brake lines myself and hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your question but if you do bleed all lines, when do you bleed the slave cylinder? i.e. where does it fit in with the standard rr-lr-rf-lf sequence?
Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both systems feed from the same reservoir, but that is where the interconnectivity ends.

If you look at your brake fluid reservoir, you'll see the clutch line exits the middle rear wall of the reservoir, while the brakes feed off of the bottom. The idea is that in the event of a clutch fluid leak, you'd still have fluid in the reservoir to operate the brakes since it draws from a lower point in the reservoir.

If you do not open the brake lines, you do not have to re-bleed them when replacing clutch hydraulic components. If both systems have been opened I would bleed the brakes first, and then the clutch. But, as long as you don't manipulate the clutch pedal while the reservoir is out of fluid, it doesn't really matter which is bled first.

Last edited by jstyer; 01-27-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding cutting the strut clips, some folks don't mind cutting them, but I don't regret having to bleed the brakes to preserve them.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:04 PM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bleed the clutch last....just because it's such a PITA!!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks jstyer for that detailed explanation.

Dan, I am looking forward to the challenge! It took me two looks on RL and two trips to the garage to even locate the thing! Then it was an 'ah!' moment! There it was lurking!
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by zooming993
I'm in the process of installing a new clutch master & slave cylinder along installing new shocks at all four corners. With the understanding I will be replacing the front struts I need to either disconnect the brake line to free it from the strut or cut the brake hose retainer on the strut to release it. I will need to bleed the clutch after I install the new master & slave cylinders, will I also need to bleed the brake lines even if I do not disconnect the brake lines? I ask this because if I do, I'll just discount the brake lines instead of cutting the retainer.

Thanks
You need to bleed anyway because of the new clutch master/slave setup and the brakes ought to be flushed annually anyway

why not just plan on doing the whole system w/ fresh fluid?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:30 PM
HitDaApex
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill Verburg
Quote:

Thanks
You need to bleed anyway because of the new clutch master/slave setup and the brakes ought to be flushed annually anyway

why not just plan on doing the whole system w/ fresh fluid?
I agree, just go ahead and bleed the whole system. You technically do not have to bleed the breaks unless you open the line but might as well. New fluid, car will be in the air with the wheels off anyhow from your suspension install.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, looks like I'll be flushing the whole system. With the understanding I'll be flushing both the brake and clutch system, how much fluid will I need?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

When I replaced the struts I cut the hose mounts with a mototool saw from Harbor Freight. I then cut the mounts on the new struts before I installed them. A piece of cake!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, looks like I'll be flushing the whole system. With the understanding I'll be flushing both the brake and clutch system, how much fluid will I need?
Repair manual shows "approx. 1 liter" for normal brake fluid change, and "approx. 1.6 liters" for hydraulic brake booster brake fluid changes. I believe the hydraulic brake boosters are on Turbo and 4S models. The clutch doesn't take much before it runs clear, I'd estimate 200ml, max. I like to have 2 litres of fluid on hand when I do both brakes and clutch.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get different colour fluid to be sure you have flushed the whole system an rid it of the old fluid - Just a quick FYI

motiv pressure bleeder is your bFF.

If you have abd be sure to bleed this also or the system will not be correctly functioning

careful of the e46 below

Quick Reply: Does One Effect The Other?