993 Forum 1995-1998

Just picked up a 1995 Porsche 993 to Raul Welt RWB Widebody Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
That would be a shame to cut up a beautiful well sorted 993. This car's value is best left alone to just about anyone else in the market for one. There are plenty of other damaged 993s out there that would serve well as a donor for a modified 993. As a prior poster said, to cut up this car would only further enhance the values of ours
Harlan, I disagree. If I were to do a build, I would want to use a car in good condition as opposed to a POS wrecked chassis. I suspect you would want the same with your car, regardless of the mods planned. I can understand why the OP would want to start with the car he bought as a base.

The 993 is a unique car, but not rare. This is no different than someone that does a GT2 conversion given the extent of body modifications. Yet most people don't consider it "butchering" a car because it is what the factory did. In fact, most Rennlisters stand up and applaud. Again, hypocritical, IMO.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 03-12-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM
iforged
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is very entertaining to read all the comments good or bad. I feel as purists and enthusiasts Porsche owners definitely have a very strong and loyal following toward the brand and Porsche can do no wrong.

I am on this forum just to share my passion for Porsche and my passion for aftermarket modification. Some people might hate it and some people might love it, but at the end of the day I do it because I enjoy it. We all have different taste and ideas of what our ideal Porsche is suppose to look like.

I fell in love in the Raul Welt when I first saw Vivid Racing post a few pictures of Nakai sans 930 years ago. Then 0-60 did a magazine feature that peaked more of my interest. It was not until my buddy Christian in Seattle finished his RWB 993 #7 in Nov 2013 that gave me the last push to build one.

Last edited by iforged; 01-13-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
It's one thing to disagree on someone's intentions of modding, but the piling on and insulting nature of these comments is really not becoming of this forum. It's hypocritical and ridiculous. Members are quick to pile on when others (mostly non-members) talk smack about anything, but have no problem dishing it themselves when someone's tastes don't suit the group think on RL. It's this clique-ish and elitist attitude that tends to turn people off from RL, including me.

If you don't like something, fine. State your peace, have healthy debate. But do it respectfully. The snarky comments are simply uncalled for.
^^^^
This

I've been on Rennlist and the 993 forum since I bought my car in 2002. Over the years I have found that the tone of the 993 forum has taken on an edge that didn't previously exist. Arrogance may be too strong a word but smug, self-righteous and condescending are words I mutter to myself more often than not when I read some of the posts here. As a result, I tend to spend less time on this forum. Hobbies are supposed to be fun after all.

A 993 is not a rare car. Furthermore, a NB '95 993 is a nice car but it's really nothing special. To imply that using a 993 as a donor car for a tuner project is sacrilegious because YOU don't like the end product is a bit rich.

Rennlist is an enthusiasts site. Enthusiasts like to do things to their cars. Some do more than others. Let the guy be and support him in a project that he's obviously excited about. Sheesh!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO Nakai San's rendition of the 993 looks grossly eccentric.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Haters gonna hate

Subscribed.

As with others, I would have started with more of a donor example (good mechanical/straight but with past body paint work), not such a original example car, but in the end it is yours to do as you please, you spent your monies and RWB may not be for some, but for others it is a path.

Enjoy the journey and keep us informed.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the look so I can't hate. I wonder how many TT's have been modified? A Turbo RWB makes more sense.....
Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

iforged - It's unfortunate your thread has met so much controversy.

Hopefully I can help you out and try explain to others what I imagine is your thought behind it.

Iforged clearly wants a RWB-look car, but probably doesn't want to deal with a car mechanically in so-so condition. So, instead of buying a heap and dealing with issues, he wants a car ready-to-go that needs only (or mostly) bodywork.

I will say that since you are doing all this work, you should probably have both windscreens pulled to inspect the frame for rust, which seems to be a problem on this chassis. The rear frame rails too.

My concern would be that I imagine such wide track makes the car's handling twitchy.

I'd be curious as to how an RWB car compares to the 1973 2.1 Turbo RSR. I think that car had the widest of any factory flares that weren't boxed. Cars like this are undoubtedly a source of inspiration for him.

Transformation threads like this are always the most enjoyable to me. I enjoy seeing the process and appreciate the time it took.

I say do what you like with it, but be safe and have fun along the way!

Take care,

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-29-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck...this is a tough crowd when it comes to RWB. I'm not a fan, but if you are and that is your dream then go for it. Haters gonna hate no matter what. I collect vintage BMX bicycles and you would think someone is clubbing a baby seal by the reactions one gets when stripping off the original scratched up finish and having a bike repainted or repowdered.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I collect vintage BMX bicycles and you would think someone is clubbing a baby seal by the reactions one gets when stripping off the original scratched up finish and having a bike repainted or repowdered.
This cracked me up for some reason. I raced BMX when I was younger and growing up in the OC. That was the culture at the time to build your own bike from various parts to make it your own. I saved every penny I could from my paper route to buy rims, pedals, alloy this and that. I stripped and sprayed a Mongoose frame candy apple blue with probably more coats of paint than it needed, but it was my pride and joy. That was part of the fun. What the OP is doing is really no different. But you are right, haters will hate unfortunately.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hacked up 95 C2.. has taken a bit of a bashing at times. Not to everyones taste but as a salvage title 993 not the worst fate in my opinion.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
The 993 is a unique car, but not rare. This is no different than someone that does a GT2 conversion given the extent of body modifications. Yet most people don't consider it "butchering" a car because it is what the factory did. In fact, most Rennlisters stand up and applaud. Again, hypocritical, IMO.
^^This. It's strange to me that a different interpretation (much wilder) of the a GT2 evo gets people to have such negative reactions. I guess it's because it's not factory.

I personally love the RWB look. Though admittedly I prefer the 930 and 964 bodywork more than the 993. The 993 to me looks a bit too much like an overly exaggerated gt2 and therefore a bit bubbly. Still I'm looking forward to this build and seeing the end result.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Look, it's not arrogance or h8 or elitism or, really even taste that draws the strong reaction to this mod on this board. It's a mod that's at odds with the nature of the car. The RWB conversion is cosmetic; all show, no go. There's a reason an RSR has a huge wing and super wide back side, and it's not something that puts out 282 hp. Why did Porsche base the 993 RS on the narrow-bodied car? I'll bet that a properly set up stock 993 is lighter, faster in all respects, and certainly has a lower cd than any RWB conversion.

So put me in the sorry to see a great car cut up camp, just as I would be sorry to see Kate Upton have some preposterous boob job performed by some magical Japanese plastic surgeon who makes real women look like anime characters.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:46 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by esc911
^^This. It's strange to me that a different interpretation (much wilder) of the a GT2 evo gets people to have such negative reactions. I guess it's because it's not factory.
I cannot speak for anyone else than myself but personally I kind of like the RWB look. Though is a bit too much to be honest.
The real downturn for me is the fact that with that suspension geometry you are literally throwing away the crisp handling of the 993.
It is really all show, no go. Not for me. But it doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy reading this build thread. I will, so keep it coming!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JLJ11
My hacked up 95 C2.. has taken a bit of a bashing at times. Not to everyones taste but as a salvage title 993 not the worst fate in my opinion.
You ended up with Thatcher's former car. Nice. I've seen it in person. It looks badass and is something I am considering doing to mine. GT2 kit with a duck tail is a cool and rare combination. I like the WB look but don't like the rivets. I'm wondering how it would look if the panel seams were smoothed over versus riveted.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a 1995 Porsche 993 to Raul Welt RWB Widebody Conversion Thread