Sponsored by:

993s and Porsche Salesmen

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:30 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
My daughter went to the dealership to buy me a Christmas present. She was a bit intimidated when she walked in, but when she told the salesperson her dad had a 993, she was treated like royalty.

I remember when I bought my first car at Chick Iverson in Newport Beach,, a VW Rabbit Convertible, the salesmen told me about a guy who walked in in jeans and flip flops. None of the Porsche sales guys took notice. Since he was a VW sales guy, he helped him. Sold him a 911 within an hour. In sales, you can never judge a book by it's cover - especially today.
Our dealer seems to be a good one. Several of the salespeople appreciate the older cars, and now that they redid the showroom they have a 20 foot 993 poster to remind them
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Most of the dealerships that I visit are pretty actively involved with their local PCA regions. Nothing but respect for the older cars.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Our dealer rocks.

Not uncommon to see an air-cooler there.

Most guys, while they have to represent the modern product in the best light they can, do understand the older cars. Actually, one of the guys at our dealer had a quite old and rare one. Cool guy. As are all of them!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:22 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Why anyone would take a 993 to a Porsche dealer is beyond me.

They have the highest prices coupled with mechanics with the least amount of know-how for these old cars.

VW may keep some old guy around who used to work on lots of 993s but most of their mechanics cannot touch an air-cooled indy.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

I drove my 996 to this dealership today. Was even wearing a Tag. Couldn't get the salesman to even step out of his office.
Attached Images      
Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default It isn't Like I bought the car yesterday

+1
So true, however there are exceptions to the rule. I know of just one 993 tier one Tech at a Porsche dealership. Dealership service department make claims, but I don't buy it. $$$$
"Fool me once shame on you...Fool me twice....."

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Why anyone would take a 993 to a Porsche dealer is beyond me.

They have the highest prices coupled with mechanics with the least amount of know-how for these old cars.

VW may keep some old guy around who used to work on lots of 993s but most of their mechanics cannot touch an air-cooled indy.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:38 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My local dealership, Inskip Porsche love the air cooled, but I only use them for cheap small parts or to get tires mounted and balanced. They happen to have one of the best air cooled mechanics in the country. his name is Pat Duggan. Dealership prices keep me at Indies though.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:00 AM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

When I bring my 993 to the dealership here in Richmond, the sales manager almost always comes out to say hi and admire the car. And I always get compliments from multiple members of the staff there, although not nearly as many as my 89 coupe. That always drew a small crowd due to its color and condition.

I tend to take my 993 to the dealership here because they actually started out as an indy shop that specialized in air cooled Porsches. They got the franchise because Porsche wanted a dealership in Richmond and approached them.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I drove my 996 to this dealership today. Was even wearing a Tag. Couldn't get the salesman to even step out of his office.
Good choice in watches. I have had the same Tag for nearly 10 years and is trash it daily! My warewolf-ness is apparent in this photo...
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I bet these dealers would love to get more 993s in for service.

The secret is out on the 993 and everyone now wants one.

It wasn't but 9 years ago that many of these people didn't know the difference between a 964 and 993.

The 996 was in, the 993 was old and irrelevant.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Small world . . Richmond, VA Porsche dealership

Small world .....
My nephew worked there through HS making a declaration to be president of Porsche NA one day. He's been with BMW NA for a few years now after earning a MBA degree and learning German all the while. He studied in Germany on a Mercedes Benz company scholarship..... Bam!

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
When I bring my 993 to the dealership here in Richmond, the sales manager almost always comes out to say hi and admire the car. And I always get compliments from multiple members of the staff there, although not nearly as many as my 89 coupe. That always drew a small crowd due to its color and condition.

I tend to take my 993 to the dealership here because they actually started out as an indy shop that specialized in air cooled Porsches. They got the franchise because Porsche wanted a dealership in Richmond and approached them.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:40 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

As other's have stated - the response is highly variable.
I've driven into dealerships in a wide range of vehicles, and had a wide range of responses.
Interestingly enough, the only reply to the 993 has been (while almost visibly salivating):
"You trading THAT in?"

When I went to go buy a Toyota 4Runner, ALL the lot/floor peons, and the manager-level idiots, were falling all over themselves to look at and talk to me about my XK-R.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by DocTock993
When I went to go buy a Toyota 4Runner, ALL the lot/floor peons, and the manager-level idiots, were falling all over themselves to look at and talk to me about my XK-R.
That's interesting way to think of people.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I think "it depends." I have been to dealerships and they have treated me well and I have been to others that I will not set foot in again - Napleton Porsche comes to mind. I have been there twice with my 993, once with a friend in his 996 GT3. Both times I was ignored. The second time the salesmen did not offer his hand, did not say hello, just kind of nodded in my direction when my friend introduced me. So, though I have had the worst car dealership experiences at Napleton
I agree! Westmont Porsche Napleton sucks. Twice, at different times, I've tried buying new cars from them. Total spend north of $220K. Both times they lied and gave very poor follow-up. Still waiting (well, not really) for a follow-up call from the newest Sales Manager (Barry) since September.

New new Sales Manager Barry Bowman blows. And the Sales Manager before him, Ron B. sucked before him, and is now shipped off to their Aston Martin store down the street.

Not to mention their service department quotes over $450 for alignments and over $300 for tire install & balancing.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Whenever I pull into Hennessy Porsche here in Roswell, Ga, the 993 always attracts an appreciative crowd of onlookers from the sales team. Although I have yet to spend a dime there, they have welcomed me at release parties, concours events, looked up my immobilizer code and shared it with me, fed me, liquored me up, and most recently cut a new key blank for me, gratis. They are tops in my book.
I love Hennessy, Ed. I bought a new Defender from them in '97. My old college roommate has worked there as a Porsche Ambassador since '98 - John Dissen. He's a cool guy. Please tell him Chad Johnson says hello when you stop by again.

And to answer the original question - I don't take my car into a Porsche dealership, but I do take it to my local Ford dealer when I'm getting my truck serviced. The sales staff always comes out to check it out and I get lots of compliments!

Quick Reply: 993s and Porsche Salesmen