Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Rear wishbone/lower control arm ball joint replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Rear wishbone/lower control arm ball joint replacement?

I tried searching but couldn't find much. Question is, is the ball joint in the rear wishbone (the lower a-arm) replaceable?

I am rebuilding my whole suspension with solid bushings etc. and would hate not to replace the ball joints as well. I know for the front it is easy but for the rear?
I could also get the motorsport wishbones I suppose..
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 AM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think any of the ball joints in the rear are replaceable. You can get factory cup parts, but I am not sure if those ball joints are replaceable. CUPCAR should know, since he has them on his project car. ERP has adjustable arms with all ball joints, and I think those are serviceable.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my knowledge, you have to replace the entire control arm to get the new ball joint.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Kepa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
To my knowledge, you have to replace the entire control arm to get the new ball joint.
+1 yes Juha, thats what you must do unfortunately ..
Old 12-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

You are very serious about your car, and with the effort you are making going all solid, it makes sense to go to Tarrets or the equivalent. As far as the ball joints go, Porsche makes money on each sold replacement part, so why would they bother to make it replaceable?

Did you see the thread on making your own links? You can buy the helm joints and center parts and make up your own links at significant savings.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...trol-arms.html

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
I don't think any of the ball joints in the rear are replaceable. You can get factory cup parts, but I am not sure if those ball joints are replaceable. CUPCAR should know, since he has them on his project car. ERP has adjustable arms with all ball joints, and I think those are serviceable.
Cup rear track arm parts are the same as the RS and RS/CS stiff rubber bush on the rear arm

RSR track arm is available and the way I'm going, uni-ball on the rear leg, Cupcar bought his last summer

TRW sells rebuilt 993 Track arms for ~ 2/3 the price of new(discounted), you'd need to install your own uni-ball, a friend is currently doing this to his, they press in

There was an out fit in England that was rebuilding them but I can't remember the name
Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks guys!

Matt is bringing me a lot of suspension goodies mid february. I know the tarett toe links are included and he mentioned ERP also so i'm guessing these arms are included. Have to check with him.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:18 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bumping an old thread here to see if any new options/info is available. Mine are RS items and for the sake of originality would like to keep them as is.

Cheers.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a set of suspension arms (all but the toe arms which will be Tarett) coming from partworks.de, based in Germany. I have confirmed with them that they fully rebuild the arms, replacing the ball joints, bushings and A-arm monoballs. I specified sport bushings for all the rubber bushings which is supposed to be the equivalent as RS bushings, and will post once I receive them. They have been very easy to deal with, the only issue is the returning the core suspension units to Germany (the shipping is expensive), but they have a US based agent that will accept them. If you are in Europe it seems to be a no brainer.

This is a much cheaper route than buying new (if you can get the parts), so I will keep you guys posted on how things turn out.

Cheers,

Mike
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 PM
Talat
Racer

That would be useful thanks. So you are guaranteed to get your own arms back in a refurbished state ? I will contact them.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:56 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I have a set of suspension arms (all but the toe arms which will be Tarett) coming from partworks.de, based in Germany. I have confirmed with them that they fully rebuild the arms, replacing the ball joints, bushings and A-arm monoballs. I specified sport bushings for all the rubber bushings which is supposed to be the equivalent as RS bushings, and will post once I receive them. They have been very easy to deal with, the only issue is the returning the core suspension units to Germany (the shipping is expensive), but they have a US based agent that will accept them. If you are in Europe it seems to be a no brainer.

This is a much cheaper route than buying new (if you can get the parts), so I will keep you guys posted on how things turn out.

Cheers,

Mike
+1 for Partworks.de I bought the Prekom bushings from them.... Prekom is the wholesaler/supplier that rebuilds the arms for them... https://prekom.si/porsche-parts/pors...ishbones-rear/
Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Talat
That would be useful thanks. So you are guaranteed to get your own arms back in a refurbished state ? I will contact them.
I never said that - that onese I am doing are core return. You probably can do it that way but the turn around time could be long.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:06 PM
Talat
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
I never said that - that onese I am doing are core return. You probably can do it that way but the turn around time could be long.
Ok no problem - I will email them to ask as I'm not in a particular rush. Obviously I want to retain the part numbers on the wishbones otherwise an exchange would be ideal.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok no problem - I will email them to ask as I'm not in a particular rush. Obviously I want to retain the part numbers on the wishbones otherwise an exchange would be ideal.

Thanks.
There were Porsche production updates to the arms, and if you replaced with new you also might not have the same part numbers. Good question for them though.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:34 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks.
I don't get this- Porsche view them as service items, so they are not re-buildable and are designed to be replaced. As stated they were improved during the production runs. To me this is like tires or brake rotors... why keep the original ones when they are worn? It's not like an engine or gearbox.

Quick Reply: Rear wishbone/lower control arm ball joint replacement?