993 Forum 1995-1998

The Rattle Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default The Rattle Thread

Yeah I have a rattle. No it's not driving me completely insane.

What if we had a thread and people share 'solved' rattles for future ref?

Please share if you ever fixed a rattle, easy, medium, or pita accepted. Completely story, or just the part that ended up being the culprit. It would probably be good to note if it was front or back at the start of your post. Or post 'tricky' if it ended up being somewhere different than it sounded.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Here's one:
I had a rattle that sounded like a piece loose back on the right rear. it would rattle intermittently with engine revs. I thought it might be a heat shield on the cat or something.
Finally turned out to be the strut for the deck lid. It was shot, and when the lid was closed, there was no tension on it. I only discovered it while working in the engine bay from underneath, with the engine out, and the lid closed. Lived with it for 2 years before that.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:23 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rattle coming from inside the passenger door. Initially I thought it may be as simple as a loose fastener and removed the door panel and checked everything I could think of. After re assembling the rattle was still there. To help simulate the road vibration that set the noise off I just bumped the door repeatedly with the heel if my hand and sure enough it was there, so off the door panel came again. Using the bumping technique I was finally able to isolate the sound to one of the linkage arms of the window regulator. Since there is no way to tighten the arms at the hinge points I cut pieces of DynaMat to stick to the arm to attenuate the sound. Banged on the door and seemed quiet. Re assembled the door panel and after more than 3 months, no more rattle.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:15 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also had an inside-the-door rattle. The door lock cable was rattling against the inner door frame for some reason. A zip tie fixed it.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Upper seat belt mount. Engine frequency dependent. Right at ear level, must solve
Old 12-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Had one that I could only hear around 55-60 mph. Turned out to be a fender liner screw that was vibrating against the fender. Ground the tip down and it went away.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Here's one:
I had a rattle that sounded like a piece loose back on the right rear. it would rattle intermittently with engine revs. I thought it might be a heat shield on the cat or something.
Finally turned out to be the strut for the deck lid. It was shot, and when the lid was closed, there was no tension on it. I only discovered it while working in the engine bay from underneath, with the engine out, and the lid closed. Lived with it for 2 years before that.
Hmmm... That sounds like a rattle I have had for a long time... Have checked all the suspension etc. with no result. Let's see!

I have a rattle story on my own, thought it was coming from the left rear, searched etc. and couldn't find anything, then eventually the window didn't go down and turns out, the rattle was coming from there, the channel where window sits was completely rusted up!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Hoserpilot
Rennlist Member

I had a rattle in the right seat. My wife got out and the noise went away!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Glove box door **** - take apart and tighten the large nut holding the ****
Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 PM
sptschoice
Pro

I have a rattling sound when engine is hot goes away when clutch pedal is press in!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one that I could not localize while driving, so I had my wife drive while I crawled around the cabin trying to find it. Finally pinned it down to the area over the passenger side rear window. The only thing it could be...I had her run the sunroof back an inch or so, and the rattle went away. The cable on that side had just enough slack to rattle around in the channel.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:28 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Intermittant rattle in right rear turned out to be a loose fender liner.

Unsolved and present since the day I took deliver on the car is a rattle that sounds like the glove box door is loose...But it isn't.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:44 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sptschoice
I have a rattling sound when engine is hot goes away when clutch pedal is press in!
Its not chatter from a LWF setup is it? Mine does the same thing when engine is warm and the car is not moving. But I think this is common and commonly known.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:46 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine wasnt a rattle, but the sound of multiple pieces of something in the rear of the cabin sliding around and hitting each other. Could only hear it with low revs while going around corners. Took the rear deck off and found a bunch of broken glass. Apparently one of the PO's had a problem with some thieves. Solved obviously by removing all the broken glass.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Had one that I could only hear around 55-60 mph. Turned out to be a fender liner screw that was vibrating against the fender. Ground the tip down and it went away.
I remember when you posted your find a few years back, and was reminded of it a few weeks ago while removing the rear liner on my cab.

The speed nuts for the liner are designed differently than others. They have an arch built in to keep the screw point from damaging the underneath fender.

Regards,

Quick Reply: The Rattle Thread