Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Is the fuel fill door loose?
Old 06-01-2014, 11:07 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Is the fuel fill door loose?
Doubt it but I'll check. sounds likes its in or near the dash. Its hard to describe the sound, pretty sure it has something to do with the high speed wind.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is another mystery solved ... Found the rattling noise under the glove box was a loose screw that mounts the spoiler module
Old 06-02-2014, 09:26 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big clunking rattle from my right door was rusted out window lifter. R&R and all is good.
Followed the write-up on Jackals
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

I found the source of my rattling issue, it was nothing major.

Seems like there's some of the plastic in the wheel well is vibrating when I get up to highway speed. I just have to figure out a away to stop the 2 pieces of plastic from vibrating off each other.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:41 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by justin993
Per the OP -
this thread could be a great future reference

We should compile a list of the obvious and not so obvious, and I can start...

-Shift ****
-Sheet metal bracket that secures stereo head unit... tabs can be bent down with screw driver or pliers for snugger fit
-Too much change or other miscellaneous items in door pockets
-Missing fasteners; rear bumper, interior rear deck
-Glove box
To add to the list:
- worn rear gas struts that hold the deck lid can start buzzing when on their way out
- bolt holding metal pedal can start buzzing
Old 06-16-2014, 12:43 PM
l4rryc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
Its not chatter from a LWF setup is it? Mine does the same thing when engine is warm and the car is not moving. But I think this is common and commonly known.
Same here. Lightweight flywheel.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nr1416
I found the source of my rattling issue, it was nothing major.

Seems like there's some of the plastic in the wheel well is vibrating when I get up to highway speed. I just have to figure out a away to stop the 2 pieces of plastic from vibrating off each other.
Are you missing screws? Iirc there are 3 screws that connect the two wheel well covers at the top. One is close to outside side of the fender so it's hard to see unless you stick your head in there with the wheel off.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:11 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NYC993
Are you missing screws? Iirc there are 3 screws that connect the two wheel well covers at the top. One is close to outside side of the fender so it's hard to see unless you stick your head in there with the wheel off.
The part thats loose is at the bottom of the wheel well closer to the front door. I'm not sure if I'm missing any screws, I didnt have enough time to inspect the other side but will do this week and see.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:51 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an EXTREMELY unpleasant higher pitched rattle coming from the rear wheel passenger side every time I went over quick, low amplitude undulations in the road. It wasn't really a clunk like you would think from suspension but a clanging of metal on metal. I thought it was maybe the leaking rear shock in the same area or my bumper mount, but I thoroughly cleaned up, replaced or otherwise investigated the whole engine bay while I did my valve cover and timing chain cover gaskets. I replaced my sway bar end links while I was doing the suspension, but I believe that was a premature move, even at 94k miles.

Anyway, I ended up taking a sledge hammer and tapping the wheel and heard the rattle. I then started to dissemble and inspect the wheel, caliper and finally the brake rotor. It ended up being the damn slack in the parking brake. I never had the issue holding the car in place (Chicago is FLAT!) but quickly read into the matter and adjusted the slack out from the brake. Now the rattle is completely gone and it was a very simple fix. Turns out that after opening up the console, the original factory markings were on the adjustment and locking nut, indicating that the brake had not been adjusted in 19 years!

Quick Reply: The Rattle Thread