993 Forum 1995-1998

The Rattle Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Monkey Brain
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a rattle.

Almost every time I stop (light, stop sign, etc). Take the trans out of gear I hear a rattle. Sort of a shudder/rattle. Couldn't figure it out.

Weeks later, driving by my lonesome, windows down, I stop next to a window replacement truck where you can see yourself in the almost vertical plate glass on the sides. I look over, the rear spoiler begins to descend...ra-da-da-da-da-da-da-da. Shudder rattle.

I've seen the posts on RL and the P-Car fix (DIY and about $5-$8). Something about a gear. Need to fix it soon. Drives me nuts. I'm cruising with the wing fixed. I like the look. =)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread idea!

My seat sometimes rattles, or really it's more like a squeak. I notice it usually just after I stop at a light. I figure there's really not much I can do about it.

I have another that might be the left muffler. I hear it when the rear wheels go over small bumps at low speed. If I kick the left exhaust tip I hear it. Some day I'll get under the car with a rubber mallet and try to figure it out.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:53 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah this is gonna be a popular thread

no rattles to report yet
Old 12-16-2013, 09:11 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rattle
Could be worst...
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my next summer project - eliminate all rattles.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

When I first got the car I had a rattle that was driving me insane. I deduced it happened more on hills, up or down. Or sharp turns. After weeks of trying to narrow down its location and by having my wife drive around with me upside down in the back seat replicating the noise I finally decided to remove the seats. Eventually I took out the seats and most of the interior. Finally, with half the car on the floor of my garage I found it. There was a small fuse in a boxed chassis section directly under the ECU box under the drivers seat. Apparently at some time someone dropped the fuse through an access hole. As I drove the car it would roll from one area to another and clunk.

It took about a day of fishing blind with lights and various grabber tools to get at the fuse. Finally a long stiff wire dabbed with sticky grease nabbed it.

The car has been quiet as a mouse for the last 11 years after that!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
I remember when you posted your find a few years back, and was reminded of it a few weeks ago while removing the rear liner on my cab.

The speed nuts for the liner are designed differently than others. They have an arch built in to keep the screw point from damaging the underneath fender.

Regards,
I wonder if I am also missing a speed nut. As far as I remember, the screw holds two piece of the liner together without a nut.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear fender liner rattle - Solved

Originally Posted by TMc993
Intermittant rattle in right rear turned out to be a loose fender liner.

Unsolved and present since the day I took deliver on the car is a rattle that sounds like the glove box door is loose...But it isn't.
I'd forgotten about that one, I solved it many years ago as one of the first diy fixes.

I cut along the length of a bit of 10mm soft plastic tubing and placed it over the edge of the fender liner at the wheel arch and tucked it all in. I did both sides.

Bingo, rattle is history.

Hope yours is as simple.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2014 to all.

Cheers
Alan
The following users liked this post:
993.Coupe (11-03-2022)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ble2011
This is my next summer project - eliminate all rattles.

I've been on a witch hunt with this since last spring.

Once I removed the supercup mufflers and went back to stock cans, I've been on a mission to fix rattles and noises.

Last edited by justin993; 12-18-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Per the OP -
this thread could be a great future reference

We should compile a list of the obvious and not so obvious, and I can start...

-Shift ****
-Sheet metal bracket that secures stereo head unit... tabs can be bent down with screw driver or pliers for snugger fit
-Too much change or other miscellaneous items in door pockets
-Missing fasteners; rear bumper, interior rear deck
-Glove box
Old 12-17-2013, 12:22 PM
FabianS
Pro

I had a rattle on the dash that turned out to be the usual glove box latch. Did the DIY on pcarworkshop, along with going over every screw, and allen key in the car/ dash. Now the car makes no noise at all, which works for me as even a little noise drives me up the wall.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:51 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Monkey Brain
I have a rattle.

Almost every time I stop (light, stop sign, etc). Take the trans out of gear I hear a rattle. Sort of a shudder/rattle. Couldn't figure it out.

Weeks later, driving by my lonesome, windows down, I stop next to a window replacement truck where you can see yourself in the almost vertical plate glass on the sides. I look over, the rear spoiler begins to descend...ra-da-da-da-da-da-da-da. Shudder rattle.

I've seen the posts on RL and the P-Car fix (DIY and about $5-$8). Something about a gear. Need to fix it soon. Drives me nuts. I'm cruising with the wing fixed. I like the look. =)
Took care of this one this past summer. Part was about $2.25 shipped, and pretty easy job.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:30 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I found my cigarette lighter rolling around under the passenger seat as well as a few bucks worth of loose change. Other than that I just have the usual suspension and occasional windshield creak. Stage IIIs do help mask most things out however.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I wonder if I am also missing a speed nut. As far as I remember, the screw holds two piece of the liner together without a nut.
Kika,

This is the type of speed nut used on the fender liners. One of mine was missing in the right rear.

Notice how the arch prevents the screw tip from eroding the underside of the fender.

Regards,
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came across this thread in search for my cabin noise issue I have. It happens on the highway when I go over 80 MPH and its a rattle that sounds like something flapping on metal from the drivers side dash, anyone else have this issues?

Quick Reply: The Rattle Thread