993 Forum 1995-1998

Speakers for 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers for 993

I need to replace all the speakers in my 1995 coupe. The stock speakers are available from Porsche. Should I go with those or with after market? I like to keep my car as bone stock as possible so definitely don't want it to look any different. Appreciate any help!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try to get aftermarket speakers but use the stock grill.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Did this 2 years ago, turned out to be a very cost effective upgrade.

This is the thread I followed for speaker install:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...many-pics.html

Rear Speaker install:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-speakers.html

Polk Speakers I bought:

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Car Electronics

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB461 4-by-6-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB461 4-by-6-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Black): Car Electronics

Front Door Grills:

http://www.parts-express.com/steel-m...black--260-418

I did everything along with installing a Blaupunkt Toronto 410bt, very happy with everything.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:01 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have probably figured out replacing the OE speakers [8 in all] thro your favourite Porsche dealer will be around $600.

Let us know what you finally pay for your choice of speakers when you finish the job.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me stop this thread right here and make an important announcement. There are two different stereo systems in the 993: standard and hi-fi. Any discussion of speaker choices must start with that distinction, or much confusion and rending of garments will ensue.

So far I see a lot of speaker recommendations with no regard for this essential distinction.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NP993
Let me stop this thread right here and make an important announcement. There are two different stereo systems in the 993: standard and hi-fi. Any discussion of speaker choices must start with that distinction, or much confusion and rending of garments will ensue.

So far I see a lot of speaker recommendations with no regard for this essential distinction.
I have the standard stereo system. thanks for mentioning that.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:32 PM
kandles
Intermediate

Originally Posted by x50type
You have probably figured out replacing the OE speakers [8 in all] thro your favourite Porsche dealer will be around $600.

Let us know what you finally pay for your choice of speakers when you finish the job.
You're spot on with the pricing, $615 including the labor. This is for the standard speakers.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I would not go stock, for $600 you can get several aftermarket speakers that will sound much better and last much longer.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

I'd like to point to this recent thread from Kika when he gave me some great advice about upgrading speakers and sound systems in general. This might answer some of OP's questions, especially since we were both cursed with the standard sound system.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-993-hifi.html
Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

+993 . . . what NP993 said.

Additionally, OP the search function is your friend. Pardon OP but these "what speaker should I use" threads is right up there with "what oil should I use" ......"

Originally Posted by NP993

Old 12-10-2013, 08:48 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
This might answer some of OP's questions, especially since we were both cursed with the standard sound system.
Phoneyman - pardon, but take it from a 993 owner who is more than familiar with both production speaker systems; Wiring and etc. ... the stock speaker placement or location has no curse, the OE speakers themselves are easy to upgrade. Ok the tweeter pod placement is out in left field, I'll give ya that however both production speaker systems share this arbitrary location.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I will reiterate, everyone hears things differently, as well as has different opinions as to what sounds best.

Choosing a specific make and model of speaker needs to be an individual choice, based on your own budget and what sounds good to you.

If you want to keep the car reasonable unaltered, select a speaker that can be installed without cutting anything, there are plenty to choose from. If you don't mind cutting, your choices are endless.

As far as the original speakers, when I changed mine out, they were still in pretty decent condition and still sounded pretty decent. There was no way they were going to handle the increased power of the amp, so I changed them. They are only considered poor, by today's standards, and the fact that the baffles are likely dried out after 15+ years.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It was pretty interesting to see how deteriorated the original paper speaker cones were and a wonder that they were even able to push any thing out! Just replacing the rear deck speakers made a world of difference!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Phoneyman - pardon, but take it from a 993 owner who is more than familiar with both production speaker systems; Wiring and etc. ... the stock speaker placement has no curse. Ok the tweeter pod placement is out in left field, I'll give ya that however both production speaker systems share this what would seem arbitrary location.
After seeing all your posts on audio, I more than respect your opinion on audio, and other things 993. But it was my understanding that the hifi package routed extra wiring under the carpeting/sound deadening and that was why it was so expensive to get the hifi-style system installed in a non-hifi system car aftermarket? I assume I'm wrong after this post? I am talking about making everything look like a stock install.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

I went with FOCAL 165's in the doors and POLK 4x6's under stock grills in rear deck.

Quick Reply: Speakers for 993