Sponsored by:

Replacing Rear Deck Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replacing Rear Deck Speakers

I've done a search on the topic, but nothing on how to remove the grilles.

Picked up a pair of Polk Audio 4x6 speakers and will be installing them later today. Need some insight to how the grilles are secured to the stock speakers and hints on how to remove them.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Harlan,

Last time I had my rear deck speakers out for a sizing / measurement check, the steps were pretty simple from what I can recall.

Remove the screws hold the rear panel / shelf and pull forward so that you can access underneath the panel.

From there I believe there were 4 torx or phillips screws holding each speaker. Remove speakers and then you can remove the grilll.

Did you see these threads?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...e+rear+speaker

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...e+rear+speaker

In the end, I didn't end up replacing the hi-fi rears as they sounded fine for rear fill. Now if they had been blown or had fallen apart, they would have been replaced with some 4X6 plate speakers.

Good luck,

-travis
Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have the flat grill, base grade rear speakers, the plastic trim bezel snaps off via the screwdriver cutouts on the edge: the speaker then comes out with 4 screws ... no need to remove the parcel shelf.
If equipped with the 'upgrade' audio option ( raised grill bump for the tweeter), the whole unit is screwed in from below the shelf. The grill is glued to the speaker frame, so resists if you wish to remove it - but no need to do so if replacing the unit.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you put new speakers, careful with the depth... In my car, a PO had put in new speakers, but the rear deck (4 screws total, put rear seats down to find the bottom two) wasn't securely screwed down, as the back right (passenger side) speaker didn't fit. The open gaps at the bottom of the rear window finally drove me nuts and I fixed it. Simpler than I had feared...

The deeper than stock speaker was hitting a wiring harness connector mounted on the rear metal deck directly below the speaker housing. All it took was to to get the connector off of the rear metal deck and push it out of the speaker's way, then put the rear deck back. I had tried (thankfully unsuccessfully...) to pry up the connector, but it just twists 90degrees or something simple like that to release from the body.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Finally got around to removing the factory original Nokia paper cone hunks of junk. Note the lack of material joining the paper diaphrams. I removed the stock DIN plugs and soldered new leads to preserve the factory speaker connections. Marked improvement for minimal investment. I hate to see what the speakers in the door look like, those are next.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
Mfbuehler (01-29-2022)
Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harlan,

Great work, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do all Polk 4X6 fit and what is your model #? Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:20 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Polk DB461
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Nuff
Racer

Do you have any photos with the grills replaced? Did the OEM grills go back on? Or did you use PA grills?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

The grilles came off fine but were a bit brittle and cracked. I have a new set coming from Sunset.
I will do the weather strip method of securing the stock grilles per the 964 DIY page. The stock oval speakers sat onto a plastic plate with corresponding oval cut out. This plate didn't fit the PA oval (just a hair larger) and if I were really ambitious with time allowing, I'd mill the plate out to fit the PA oval allowing the stock grilles to snap back in place.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Default Milled Out Stock Speaker Mount Spacer Plate

Ok, I had an afternoon to reinstall the rear deck speakers. At first I placed the Polk 4x6 into the existing opening and reversed the 993 part number spacer plate. The grilles snapped on but the speaker seemed to sit off of the rear deck by 1/8", this bothered me. So, this weekend I disassembled everything and brought out my Dremel tool and milled off the flange on this spacer so that it would fit over the raised oval rim of the Polk speaker. See photo, left side is spacer with flange milled or ground off and the right side is before. I ordered a pair of these when I ordered new grilles from Sunset. These spacers are only $1.50 each and the grille $32.00. Use the Dremel medium grit sanding cylinder and take off the flange material until you get close to the actual oval
and clean up with the fine grit attachment.

Once milled, the spacer slips right over the speaker and once all (4) screws are tightened down, everything sits level like it did when it came off of the production line.

I'll post a photo of the finished install once I receive the new grilles .

Ok, the door speakers are next...Do these just unscrew and remount from the front or do the door panels need to be removed?
Attached Images  
Mfbuehler (02-18-2022)
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 PM
quasr
Racer

Greatly appreciate the photos and DIY install of the Polks. I just picked up a pair on Fleabay for $49.00 and will follow your instructions for install. Would you order the grill anyway or see how brittle the original is? After 13 years, your guess is as good as mine. Just don't want any downtime. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

The new grilles arrived yesterday so to complete the photo essay, here are the pictures to complete the speaker replacement.
Attached Images     
Paolo1 (07-30-2021)
Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Nuff
Racer

NICE!! How do they sound??
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
quasr
Racer

I have the hi-fi sound option and my grills look different. Hope they are easier to remove and are reusable. Very nice job and thanks for the great DIY.

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Deck Speakers