993 Forum 1995-1998

Good deal on Dynaudio mid-range speakers for 993 hifi

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 01:08 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good deal on Dynaudio mid-range speakers for 993 hifi

These are a direct-fit replacement for the 3" Nokia mid-range speakers in hifi 993's with stock amp/wiring. I put them in my car. Pretty substantial improvement. You'll have to drill a few new holes in the speaker enclosures as the mounting spacing is different, but otherwise they fit perfectly. These were only installed in European cars, impossible to find in the U.S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Passat-CC...-/251393638052

(No affiliation yadda yadda)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see so many audio related posts with awesome info in them, but they are always for the hifi option. Are there any posts about either the differences between hifi and regular and/or easy options to upgrade the regular system (like installing superior speakers)?

Searching in the past has revealed that mostly people either do an insanely priced upgrade to the stock hifi to help depreciation upon resale of the car or go a custom route and do large packages.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

"Missed it by that much" - Maxwell Smart, Secret Agent 86

Wow, that's a great price for an excellent speaker. Having just returned from Berlin, Germany, when there I was watching eBay.de to buy a set of these Dyn's for a fellow rennlist'r. .... Missed it by that much.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
I see so many audio related posts with awesome info in them, but they are always for the hifi option. Are there any posts about either the differences between hifi and regular and/or easy options to upgrade the regular system (like installing superior speakers)?

Searching in the past has revealed that mostly people either do an insanely priced upgrade to the stock hifi to help depreciation upon resale of the car or go a custom route and do large packages.
There are several threads for non hifi optioned cars that upgraded their stereos.

Like Porsche parts, good stereo components cost money. A good set of component speakers with a crossover will cost several hundred dollars, and even over a thousand for really high end stuff.

To drive the high end speakers, you need power, and good clean power also costs money.

You can see where this is going.....

That is not to say that you can't put something together for under a thousand dollars that sounds pretty darn good.

Like everything, there are different price targets, unless you are an absolute audiophile, and even if you are, let's face, it a 911 is hardly the platform to install an audiophile system into, you can use decent equipment and have really good sounding tunes.

Assuming you have the factory system, it would be safe to assume that more than likely, the OEM Nokia speakers are dried out and possibly even torn or ripped, replacing them will make a huge difference. I prefer component speakers, but even a decent coaxial speaker will improve the sound. You can drive them with headunit power, but they will sound better with an external amplifier. Even better if you have a digital sound processor/equalizer. There are some headunits now days that include DSP, like some of the higher end Pioneer units. Personally, I have always like the Alpine also.

Sund is very subjective, so you need to select speakers that sound good to you. Having said that, lots of people here like Focal speakers, as well as Hertz, Boston acoustics, Polk, Dynaudio, etc... Stick with the major brands and you should be fine.

If funds are a concern, you can forgo the amp, and add it later. Ditto on the headunit. If you mostly listen to an iPod, then I wouldn't spend a huge amount on the headunit, since it will be a pass through for the iPod anyway.

Most importantly, have a good installer put it in,or do it yourself, there are too many hacks that will cut up wires and electrical tape splices, that is a big no no. Connections should all be soldered and shrink wrapped, or connected via wiring harnesses.

If you want to maintain an OEM look, the CDR220 is a popular upgrade, but you are still talking about a 10+ year old radio. There was a phase when all the aftermarket units had lots of flashing lights and were way out of place in a 993, but they seem to have reverted to a bit more traditional look these days. Suggest you but features if you need them, I.e. Bluetooth, USB, etc....

Only single DIN units will fit in a 993, unless you want to do a lot of custom dash work.

Good luck!

I notice you are in Saratoga! not too far to drive out to Sacramento area and see Rod Birch at Car audio Innovations. Rod is one of 2 people I would let install a stereo in my 993, the other is Jamie Rawlings.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Kika, thanks for the thorough post of info. That was what I was looking for. I already installed a new Kenwood head unit with all the newest features. The car came with the CDR220 that I was thinking of send out to get upgraded with an aux port, but instead just went with a new H/U. I will probably just replace the original speakers and call it good. Like you said, I dont see much point in putting a super high end system in my 993, especially after getting the Fister III's. Again thanks for taking the time to write all that out.

Also I have look at car audio innovations and if I decide to do something more extreme, I'd definitely take a run up to his shop.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Kika, thanks for the thorough post of info. That was what I was looking for. I already installed a new Kenwood head unit with all the newest features. The car came with the CDR220 that I was thinking of send out to get upgraded with an aux port, but instead just went with a new H/U. I will probably just replace the original speakers and call it good. Like you said, I dont see much point in putting a super high end system in my 993, especially after getting the Fister III's. Again thanks for taking the time to write all that out.

Also I have look at car audio innovations and if I decide to do something more extreme, I'd definitely take a run up to his shop.
No prob!

Speakers are pretty easy to install, so I recommend DIY (no one will be as careful as you on your own car) spend your money on the door speakers, and just put some 4x6 coaxial plates in the rear deck and you should be great.

Check out Hertz speakers, I thought they were great bang for the buck when I was looking for speakers. But again, sound is very subjective, and they will sound different in your car than in the store, but at least you should be able to tell if you prefer speaker A more than speaker B.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 PM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

So far I've done everything myself, audio will be no different. I'll check out the front speakers, and google to find out what coaxial plates are

Im not a huge audiophile, more of just a snob. My nice system is at the house; I dont expect to have anything spectacular in the 993. I just need a little louder set up, the current front speakers are weak.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

So far I've done everything myself, audio will be no different. I'll check out the front speakers, and google to find out what coaxial plates are

Im not a huge audiophile, more of just a snob. My nice system is at the house; I dont expect to have anything spectacular in the 993. I just need a little louder set up, the current front speakers are weak.
Component speakers are separates with a crossover, I.e tweeter for highs and mid range for mods and lower frequencies. coaxial speakers have separate speakers, but are integrated as a single unit, but typically only a small capacitor as a filter, it is effective, but the filtering is not nearly as good as a true crossover. Coaxial speakers will not sound as good as there component counter part.

The rear deck of the 993 takes a 4x6 plate, although not all of them will fit, some are deeper than others. My advice is just to find something that fits back the without having to cut anything, as the rear is just for a little bit of fill. I have Oz Audio speakers in my car, the vector plates are in the rear, but Oz went out of business a few years ago.

A nice set up without going overboard is to amp the front speakers and use headunit power for the rear.
To really use a good set of component front speakers, they will likely need more power than most headunits provide.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

not to hijack the thread, but I am going back to stock in my car. If you want some impressive sound, check out my setup. I had the CAI setup with the subs behind the seats- which was great.... You just couldn't put the seat back very far.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...and-911-a.html
Old 12-10-2013, 12:20 AM
phoneyman
Burning Brakes

Kika: Thanks, I will definitely look into it. The excelon H/U isnt the best power wise so I will probably replace the front speakers, see how it sounds, then explore from there.

doublecabmel: Thanks for the post, Ive actually seen it in the classifieds. If i were doing subs I'd like that set up more than the ones that sit on the floor. You state you have other audio equipment. Could you post here/PM me what else you have? Mostly looking for decent front speakers.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 AM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have:
Sony XPlod 10 disc Cd Changer ($50)
Sony XPlod 4 Chanel Amp $150
Image Dynamics Crossovers ($25 each)
Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doublecabmel
I have:
Sony XPlod 10 disc Cd Changer ($50)
Sony XPlod 4 Chanel Amp $150
Image Dynamics Crossovers ($25 each)
That is a great price for an amp.

IIRC Image dynamics uses wave guide technology for their horn speakers. Really nice sounding stuff.

Who made your SB enclosures? those are really slick.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

phoneyman -
Your located in a Mecca of car audio. Look through the many, say 50 car audio builds created by the artistry at Simplicity Sound. A builds commission is photographed from start to finish. The principal there is a fella by the name of Bing. Some great idea's and that their in your back yard . . . . .

http://www.simplicityinsound.com

Originally Posted by Kika
edit/delete.
To drive the high end speakers, you need power, and good clean power also costs money.
Edit/delete.
Most importantly, have a good installer put it in,or do it yourself, there are too many hacks that will cut up wires and electrical tape splices, that is a big no no. Edit/delete.

Good luck!

I notice you are in Saratoga! not too far to drive out to Sacramento area and see Rod Birch at Car audio Innovations. Rod is one of 2 people I would let install a stereo in my 993, the other is Jamie Rawlings.

Quick Reply: Good deal on Dynaudio mid-range speakers for 993 hifi