993 Forum 1995-1998

Fister installation thread - Stage II + Goldenrod

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Fister installation thread - Stage II + Goldenrod

Two of my winter projects this year are to upgrade the mufflers and shifter mechanism.

Winter has come and it's time to put the car away for this project.

After a year of driving the previously installed FSD/ROW33 combo has settled into its final ride height.

The car is inside, the heat is on and its time to get started.

The other car (wife's) was only driven @ 200 miles this year.

High quality jack stands are a must.

I used a wood board across the front tube to lift from the front with a floor jack.

The rear was lifted at the same time (from the engine case).

I had initially used some scissor jack to raise the car (to get the floor jacks under it (for clearance purposes and also, to protect against any tipping and the front and rear floor jacks were raised.

A sleeved socket is needed to avoid scraping your rims.

Here is the car on jack stands (with lots of clearance to work).

I picked up a set of wide ovals from a RLer (these are not made anymore).

Time for the stock ones to go.

My stock cans are Gillette (as opposed to Biscoff).

Armour All brake dust protectant really kept the dust off the rims and made wiping the rest off really easy.

I cut some PVC piping to prevent the suspension from hangimg free all winter.

The next steps will be to remove the mufflers, expose the shifter linkage, and order from FD Motorsports.

Last edited by crw; 12-08-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Nice project look forward to seeing the progress. If you could, keep the snow, I am all set.

thanks,

rob
Old 12-08-2013, 11:36 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

C- I love picture threads. Looks like you'll be busy for a day or two. It'll be the "while yer there" stuff that will make this diy more time consuming. I just noticed the pic under the front of the car, and don't recall either of my 993s having that black strip looking like that. Maybe its camera angle.

I also pad my stands and floor jack with some cardboard to protect the floor. Good to see I'm not the only one Keep the pics coming
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

while the mufflers are off, check the condition of the bumper cover support brackets-qty of 2 each side. Also, a recent thread showed how "stuff" can get behind the heat shields that are against the body above the mufflers. Time to remove them and inspect for rust/corrosion if any.

I had my bumper cover supports bead blasted and powder coated last winter, and plan on pulling the mufflers again, to check behind the heat shields.

I have a growing list of winter to-do items...even another mod or two, three, four, five...
Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 AM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Great picture thread and project. I just ordered a set of ESCO stands and am getting ready to do some real winter maintenance/upgrading.

When you go to install the golden rod, how high do you anticipate you'll have the car in the air to be comfortable? I'm looking around for a lift, but might have to do it on stands.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

the esco stands are awesome...

cool pics, and Jedi Master level of text between pics are you

where did you guys get your sleeved sockets? That's a great idea, I need one for my stocking!
Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
the esco stands are awesome...

cool pics, and Jedi Master level of text between pics are you

where did you guys get your sleeved sockets? That's a great idea, I need one for my stocking!
Look in Sears, Jamie. Search for sleeved sockets
Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by phoneyman
When you go to install the golden rod, how high do you anticipate you'll have the car in the air to be comfortable? I'm looking around for a lift, but might have to do it on stands.
It can easily be done at jack stand height.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:31 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
I used a wood board across the front tube to lift from the front with a floor jack.
Hi, nice car u got there....can you remind us of your wood board dimensions please and where exactly under the front of the car you place this?

I went to Home Depot the other day but was not quite sure what size/type of wood to purchase....

thank you
Old 12-09-2013, 02:24 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to see you enjoying your Porsche. cant wait to see the winter progress please keep us updated on your progress. best of luck and enjoy the warm heated garage.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM
nourm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on doing fisters as well this winter, that'll be my first real diy on any car so i'm really looking forward to your posts and pictures. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:53 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nourm
Planning on doing fisters as well this winter, that'll be my first real diy on any car so i'm really looking forward to your posts and pictures. Thanks in advance!
installing the mufflers is super easy and fun, especially with all the DIY info and Boham993(sp?) youtube video. Just try not to break/strip any fasteners. Plus its a fun first mod because you get to check out the underside of the engine bay extensively.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:39 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Some updates:

To answer some questions -

1. Sockets that protect your rims can be easily found on EBAY or elsewhere:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATD-4pc-Flip...3251b1&vxp=mtr

2. The height provided by the jack stands (at the bottom setting) is more than adequate.

3. When lifting the front of the car, using the metal tub, I simply used @ a 18 inch 2x4 between the jack and car's front tub.

-----------------------------------------

We got some more snow (some of the household members are enjoying this). It's a lot easier to pick up frozen dog poo!

As I mentioned before, this is a great product to keep brake dust off your rims. However, you need to cover the wheel weights with tape when you spray it on in the beginning of the season. Otherwise, it will loosen the adhesive between the wheel weights and the rims ( they will then fall off).

Time to get the mufflers off. The 1st step is the spray the bolts with PB blaster and let it sit.

At the muffler tip:

At the muffler:

To remove the covering of the shifter linkage, you have to remove the cover for the PS pump 1st which is located on the front right:

The center metal cover can then be unbolted and removed (you may need to loosen the front and rear plastic under covers to do this):

Here is the front bar exposed:

Rear bar:

Shifter boot:

Lower cup on the shifter linkage exposed:

Bag & tag all fasteners (so you can find them later)

My plan is to drop the whole linkage at once and replace the small pieces on a bench, as opposed to doing it solely under the car - this has been dome before on RL.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...installed.html

-----------------------------

A couple of incidentals popped up:

I have a small leak at one of the timing chain covers - this was present on the PPI when I bought the car and has never left a drip on the floor. One wipe per winter seems to be adequate at this time. Or, perhaps I should tighten the bolts a bit this time?

I have plenty of brake pads left for next season:

Old 12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I have Stage II plus the Goldenrod on my car too. Love it!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:22 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool pic thread and interesting project. I need to do the same on mine.

Quick Reply: Fister installation thread - Stage II + Goldenrod