Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

I love the simplified heat/air arrangement
Old 12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Apologies, it's been quite a while since my last post. Naturally the build progresses so here are a few more detail shots I took along the way including another view of the of the new "heater" arrangement for Bill. Glad you like it.

Happy to see that the doors actually close properly now that the shell/cage fabrication distortion has been corrected.

Someone earlier asked about the detail fitment of the sunroof felt seal. The close up of the finished roof here shows the correct position of the felt below the surface of the paint.
Attached Images           
Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting colour. Nice to see the progress. Many interesting details
I like the look of the suspension and how planted the car looks.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And in the last photo the eagle-eyed will notice the GRP replica GT2 rear spoiler. Not the obvious choice for sure, but it's there for a reason as the owner is planning a maximum down-force effort from the car on track so has gone for a wing with suitable structure to adapt for use with a larger carbon blade wing.

As ever with GRP panels the fit is not perfect, but once it has been painted we will easily be able to pull down the gap at the top of he engine lid.
Attached Images    
Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Spoiler painted, new bumper hangers (the originals were rusted to non-existence!), instruments fitted, etc. I covered the bumper seal fitment on another thread, so if anyone wants to see that part it's here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...der-seals.html

We added a little extra touch to the front alloy beam by hole sawing some weight across the front. It's a nominal saving for sure, but what can I say? We had a drill & we had a hole saw, seemed a shame not to use them whilst the front bumper was being prepared....
Attached Images           
Old 12-03-2013, 05:18 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

Drooling over here, Colin. I'd love to send you my 993 and have you work some 9m magic on it.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:52 PM
dommorton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unobtainium RHD Tequipment Hand Brake (E Brake) in a Track Car!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... As Bill said, love the heating setup. Would you mind elaborating on it a little bit? Is the CCU going to be retained?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jstyer
Wow... As Bill said, love the heating setup. Would you mind elaborating on it a little bit? Is the CCU going to be retained?
Elaborate on it a bit? What can I say?

There is a scoop, a pipe, a fan, a pipe, a fitting and a switch. Cold air only and it is either switched on or it is switched off.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:27 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Drooling over here, Colin. I'd love to send you my 993 and have you work some 9m magic on it.
One day my friend, one day. If you all keep playing the lottery, I'll keep praying that when one of you wins we can use the money to send every 993 Forum participant's car to 9m for a makeover. Maybe we should start a syndicate?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Kepa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, its so green, in my opinion best color ever. Had my previous project more and less same color

Old 12-04-2013, 08:43 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Elaborate on it a bit? What can I say?

There is a scoop, a pipe, a fan, a pipe, a fitting and a switch. Cold air only and it is either switched on or it is switched off.
Ha, that's about what it looked like. Are you gonna be running hot air to the footwell positions?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Next part of the job is the Motec installation including a new 9m built lightweight wiring harness for the engine management. This upgrade came about for two reasons, first is the customer's preference to have a CAN based engine management package that he can self-map, second is that the original motronic wiring loom was irreparably damaged during the welding & installation of the roll cage.

Jack is my right hand guy for the Motec conversion work, a motorsport engineering graduate who has learned his craft at Ninemeister over the last few years.

The new lightweight harness is made on the wiring bench first which is all pre-pinned for the 911 engine configuration We usually pre-terminate the loom on the bench, but as this car has non-standard seat mountings we chose to pre-fit it to the car and terminate it in position.

On the engine Jack's first task was to remove the intake manifold to provide access the main engine harness. The starter/alternator harness is removed from the engine, unbound and all the obsolete heater, injector & VR plugs & wires are removed before it is rebound and refitted. The new engine management loom is routed before refitting the VR manifold.

Jacks attention then switches back to the passenger floor to terminate the M600 plugs, make a support plate & amplifier heat sink and fit everything neatly behind the seat mounts. The connection into the main car harness uses the original X1/2 plugs.
Attached Images          
Old 12-04-2013, 09:28 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jstyer
Ha, that's about what it looked like. Are you gonna be running hot air to the footwell positions?
No heat whatsoever. With this car, if you want to run it in the winter you plan ahead and wear a ski suit.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Meanwhile, after finishing the front end installation Rob fitted the calipers, bled the brakes and changed to the trackday wheels - a set of all black Rays with Toyo R888.
Attached Images         

Quick Reply: 9m Mission Creep 993 Lightweight Track Day Project