9m Mission Creep 993 Lightweight Track Day Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:47 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

with Oggy seam welding on the rotisserie, Rob set about cleaning up the corrosion on the front wings, the result showing that they were perfectly salvageable.

The large washer bottle delete (from inside the left front wing) means that we have to weld the small RS support to the inside of the inner wing. On this build we did not add the RS battery cut-off switch because the customer intends to fit an electrical cut off instead. Fine by us.

We also managed to salvage rear bulkhead sections from a scrap 993 tub to fill in the holes left from the cage installation. I know that these could have been sealed with an aluminium cover but in my view there is no substitute for factory metal if the access is not required.

Missing or rotten undertray retaining studs were reinstated with the spotwelder.
Attached Images           
Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Whilst the shell preparation continued Neil could start the paint marathon by priming all the loose panels, with correct preparation the surface corrosion on the front wings was no longer evident and would not reccur. Marc rolled the front arch lips of the wings to suit 18" wheels with track day tyres.
Attached Images           
Old 11-02-2013, 08:10 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

This is so much fun to see the transformation. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:28 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the paint stripped all the areas affected by surface rust were clearly visible; for the hidden areas we could not access treatment consisted of an application of Jenolite rust converter; for all the accessible sections the boys used a rotary wire wheel in the angle grinder to strip the panel back to bare metal. It's a labour intensive (and noisy!) job but in our experience there is no better way to achieve the same results apart from perhaps media blasting, however the problem with media is that it does get everywhere and practically fills the cavities in the shell and hence is almost impossible to remove completely. On a normal build that's not so much of a problem, but for a race car with a fully painted interior the last thing you need is sand blowing out of the roof space when you are painting the roll cage.
Attached Images          
Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Love it!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:29 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... I think there's always a market for this level of quality craftsmanship. You guys always seem to go the extra mile, it makes it a pleasure watching you work.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys.

I can't upload more photos tonight as I'm getting the message that I am exceeding the forum quota. Any ideas?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 PM
pipingken1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Colin

And while the guys are 'playing' with the body and shell what is happening to the engine and gearbox?
Old 11-05-2013, 02:53 PM
nurburgsingh
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

you know that there is a place in Nuneaton that does replacement roof skins for not a lot of money?

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE all of these "FULL RS Conversions" and "No Expense spared" RS conversions that leave the sunroof in...
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by nurburgsingh
I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE all of these "FULL RS Conversions" and "No Expense spared" RS conversions that leave the sunroof in...
First of all, this car is not an "RS conversion", it is not pretending to be an RS and will never be made to look like an RS. It is just a track day 993. Secondly the sunroof is being left in by customer choice based purely on use rather than cost. If the owner of the car wanted a track day car with a solid roof we would have fitted a solid roof, end of story, so believe it or not he has chosen to keep the sunroof purely because he likes it. Can I make a suggestion that you read the content of the threads in future before posting? If you had in this case you would have known all of the above in advance and perhaps not posted your statement with quite such hatred, furthermore that would also have made it unnecessary for me to correct you. Sorry about that.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pipingken1
Hi Colin

And while the guys are 'playing' with the body and shell what is happening to the engine and gearbox?
Standard engine and box for now with just a 964RS LWF added.

Oh, and a 9m Motec M800 ecu with full lightweight wiring harness.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The bodyshell was etch primed then base primed on the spit in pretty much one hit to save preparation time. The guys use probes to spray the etch into the cavities (chassis legs, roof pillars, etc.) to ensure that no bare metal is left on the tub. You will note that the outer panels have been masked, this is because the first layer of primer has been left to harden and will be flatted off separately before a second coat of primer is applied.
Attached Images        
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Nice

My tub will go on the rotisserie soon, back to bare and then be repainted. I hope it looks this good in primer...
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love how these cars can be worth while to rebuild at a higher standard
Old 11-06-2013, 01:13 PM
pipingken1
Advanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipingken1
Hi Colin

Standard engine and box for now with just a 964RS LWF added.

Oh, and a 9m Motec M800 ecu with full lightweight wiring harness.
Interesting. I would like to know what a motec does that a remap doesn't. Remember a thread with a 9M x2 where you remapped.

Perhaps I will drop you an email rather than go off topic. Or should I wait and see?

Quick Reply: 9m Mission Creep 993 Lightweight Track Day Project