993 Forum 1995-1998

Front Glass/Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 653 Likes on 318 Posts

I think they use the word "molding" in place of gasket.
Rich
Old 11-17-2013, 11:45 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
I think they use the word "molding" in place of gasket.
Rich
Does that seem crazy cheap?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
This is the quote I got just now for glass.....No mention of a gasket.
That is for sure aftermarket glass. I would demand OEM glass and a new OEM seal. The price will be much higher.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:26 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
That is for sure aftermarket glass. I would demand OEM glass and a new OEM seal. The price will be much higher.
I owned a Cayman S before I bought the 993 and the one part of the car that always bugged me was the windshield which was prone to pitting and damage in a way in which my other cars weren't.

My wife's Subaru's 6 year old glass looked in much better condition than my 2 year old glass despite having twice the mileage of my Cayman. The forums were always raging about soft glass and it was always frustrating that this was an issue on a car costing so much.

I guess it is just a Porsche thing regardless of model or year.

Maybe OEM ain't such a bad thing in this case? The reviews online of people who had their glass replaced by this company on 993 are generally positive. You're always going to get some complaints but then again the dealership in LA installed my glass ****-ways on the Cayman the first time I had it replaced and had to do it again. The headliner wouldn't fit back on it was so out of whack.

G
Old 11-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 452 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Bola Pryce is correct about insurance coverage here in Fl last time I needed a P-car windshield had dealer do it insurance made me pay the $115 they would not cover for OEM gasket kit felt it was good money spent did not want aftermarket gaskets on the car.
Rich
Insurance replaced your glass just because it was pitted? My insurance company will replace my glass for the cost of the deductible if it is chipped or cracked, but not just from normal pitting. Zero cost to me if it has a small chip that can be fixed. But no reimbursement at all to replace the glass just because it's old and worn.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
The 993 glass was the first 911 glass glued in instead of held by the gasket. As such it acts as part of the structure of the car in a collision or rollover. Not a good idea to void this feature .
Can you elaborate? What's different in the doghouse of a 993 v. a 964 (or even a torsion bar car, for that matter.)
Old 07-10-2014, 07:20 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Can you elaborate? What's different in the doghouse of a 993 v. a 964 (or even a torsion bar car, for that matter.)
I read somewhere the flange on one of the cars pre 993 or post 964 (can,t remember which)was wider by about 5 mm. The wider flange makes it difficult or impossible to install early glass in a later car but allows later glass in an early car.
I believe the 993 windshield can be glued into the earlier cars which reduces wind noise and should stiffen the body.
I,m presently having a windshield installed in my 993. Aftermarket glass came in and was Sigla with the same number on the corner BUT the edge trim groove was different . The original glass is now on order. The difference was $500 vs 1200. If you are using the cheaper glass it would look and work identical to original BUT the outer rubber trim would need to be glued down instead of snapped in

Quick Reply: Front Glass/Windshield replacement