Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

ESCO jack stand - How do you get to top rungs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ESCO jack stand - How do you get to top rungs?

I just got a set of ESCO's, and Cactus pointed me to his DIY on getting the car on 'em by jacking the rear first from the engine, then the front by the front pan. I tried jacking the front with this method and I really like it compared to the method of doing one side at a time with the jack at the rear jack point. However, I could only get the fronts onto the lowest rung of the ESCOs. I want to go higher. A lot higher.

Has anyone perfected a method to get to the top of ESCOs that does not involve jacking up one side and then the other?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:30 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I alternate between the engine and front pan. I usually go as high as I can on the rear (2nd stop) while still allowing my low profile jack to slide under the front. Then I go to the 2nd stop on the front. Wash/rinse/repeat one more time until all stands are maxed out.

There may be other ways, but that has worked well for me.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:40 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

you want to do this in stages, if you have it too high and lower the jack you may compromise the balance/positioning of the stand, which would/could be bad for sheet metal. YMMV
Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

I use the common method to get all four stands in place (tires sat on pieces of 2x4, then jack rear and place stands, then jack front and place stands) then if I need to go higher I have built a (robust) platform to sit the jack on and I repeat back and front to get to the top setting of the esco's. Once it is already on the 4 stands, just lift in small increments to avoid larger angles potentially tipping the car off the stands.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hi-jack but i have somewhat of a similar issue.

When i lift rear by engine case, Escos don't fit under the rear jack points? Maybe need another inch or so. Any recommendations besides having a taller floor jack or putting a block of something on the floor jack plate (or whatever it's called). Jack goes up 17 inches i think, but because the engine case is behind, the jack points dont get high enough.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:08 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NYC993
Jack goes up 17 inches i think
I don't think there's anyway around it. You need a jack capable of higher lifting, or you need to find a way to add some kind of spacer to your jack, either between the floor and jack, or between the jack and car. As always, be safe with this kind of stuff. Spacers make me nervous, personally.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:54 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by mpruden
I don't think there's anyway around it. You need a jack capable of higher lifting, or you need to find a way to add some kind of spacer to your jack, either between the floor and jack, or between the jack and car. As always, be safe with this kind of stuff. Spacers make me nervous, personally.
Now that i thought more about it, I think putting front on jack stands first will do it. Just sucks having to do it if I only need the rear raised.

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2014, 05:34 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry to hi-jack but i have somewhat of a similar issue.

When i lift rear by engine case, Escos don't fit under the rear jack points? Maybe need another inch or so. Any recommendations besides having a taller floor jack or putting a block of something on the floor jack plate (or whatever it's called). Jack goes up 17 inches i think, but because the engine case is behind, the jack points dont get high enough.
I have a low profile jack and same thing, so I bought a couple of ice hockey pucks, cut a slight 'v' in one face to match the engine case lip, sat that on the jack lift pad and just that extra puck height allows the esco to slip under the rear.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info here, guys. So, one end at a time, notching it up a position at a time should be a good method. John mentioned he made a stand for the jack to get the top extensions. Since my floor jack will allow me to hit the first ESCO position, only, my stand would need to be the height of the next 4 positions. Is anybody using an extension on top of the jack pad, and if so, what does this look like? My gut tells me that I'd feel safer with an extension platform under the jack rather than on the pad, but exploring all options for now.

Right now I am picturing some 19mm plywood on the top and bottom of a 2x6" frame, with blocks of wood on the top side screwed down to "frame in" my floor jack to keep it from slipping of the top.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:33 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul902
Thanks for the info here, guys. So, one end at a time, notching it up a position at a time should be a good method. John mentioned he made a stand for the jack to get the top extensions. Since my floor jack will allow me to hit the first ESCO position, only, my stand would need to be the height of the next 4 positions. Is anybody using an extension on top of the jack pad, and if so, what does this look like? My gut tells me that I'd feel safer with an extension platform under the jack rather than on the pad, but exploring all options for now.

Right now I am picturing some 19mm plywood on the top and bottom of a 2x6" frame, with blocks of wood on the top side screwed down to "frame in" my floor jack to keep it from slipping of the top.
Wouldn't you want the platform to be hard on top so the jack can roll over it instead of sinking in the wood?

Extension that long on top of jack will star falling over after certain point, unless there are jacks that simply lift vertically without rolling.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...light=jack+993

I also plan on buying a second lo pro jack that goes higher. Now I am using blocks of wood and a hockey puck.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

I normally try to avoid HF, but took a chance on this jack. It fits under my car with no need for the 2x12 ramps (at ROW sport height) and goes up to 23 3/4" high. Seems to fit the 993 very well, is priced right, and easy to acquire. Curious to see how long it lasts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ump-68050.html
Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that i thought more about it, I think putting front on jack stands first will do it. Just sucks having to do it if I only need the rear raised.
I just put a hockey puck between the jack and engine case...and the Esco's will fit into the rear points...

Quick Reply: ESCO jack stand - How do you get to top rungs?