993 Forum 1995-1998

993 CS roll bar question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:59 PM
dtm407
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 CS roll bar question

did the 993 CS come with a welded in roll bar? or was it a bolt-in? or was it an option only either way? i'm talking about the CS, not the RS.

doug
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

the few RSCS cars I've seen were weld-in bars from Matter, but I'm from the US and know very little of these cars.

UNFORTUNATELY!!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dtm407
did the 993 CS come with a welded in roll bar? or was it a bolt-in? or was it an option only either way? i'm talking about the CS, not the RS.

doug
They used the welded in cage from the 964RS

The Cup/RSR used a more robust welded in design
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You mean the 993 Cup Carrera or RS ClubSport?

Both the Cup racers and 993 RS Clubsport have welded in Matter roll cages although there are some CS versions with half cages on request of the customer. I have seen one at Thomas Schmitz ( for those not familiar check out his site, http://www.germansportscars.net ) that had all the CS options except for the roll cage... Funny Germans
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have also seen RSCS's without the roll cage back home in Australia. For them to be road legal they had to have no rollcage. All the one's that were raced had the weld in like the blue on in Bill's pics above.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The yellow one above is M003 RS/CS, the blue is M001 RS/RSR Cup

more pics can be seen in the RS Spec book WKD 499 620
Old 08-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 993RS CS did not come with a roll cage unless it was specially ordered. The factory specified Heigo bolt in rear cage via Tequipment at the time although the aftermarket option of a Matter was available via the motorsports department for the few cars intended for serious competition. The Cup cars used a Matter cage weled in although I have seen Heigo too...

Most CS are just the RS without the comfort pack and with the different aero and bucket seats and factory battery cut off switch . Mine was comfort but with the CS aero ordered separately (as many did).
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The 993RS CS did not come with a roll cage unless it was specially ordered. The factory specified Heigo bolt in rear cage via Tequipment at the time although the aftermarket option of a Matter was available via the motorsports department for the few cars intended for serious competition. The Cup cars used a Matter cage weled in although I have seen Heigo too...

Most CS are just the RS without the comfort pack and with the different aero and bucket seats and factory battery cut off switch . Mine was comfort but with the CS aero ordered separately (as many did).
Read 'Service Information Technik '96 911 Carrera RS' WKD 499 620

If you need a copy PM me
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM
dtm407
Intermediate

thanks for all of your help. its sounds like the car could have been ordered like today's GT3 with multiple options.

one poster in the past stated that some of the RS's were ordered with sunroofs. true/false?

a little back ground info: i built a tribute car (Charlie) that is 98% of the way there- engine, transmission, brakes, euro body work, suspension, painted seats, etc.. with upgrades over RS parts in some areas (FVD header-exhauster, fister/rothsport parts, monoballs etc... this is my daily driver- i have track car (Rudaba) 993 that is almost a RSR by now. so i have no plans to track it (although i did a 2:25 at sebring just to see how fast it was).

my dilemma is that the car came with a welded-in roll bar which blocks my view and was not the best installation (no tie-in to side/floor). should i lose it or keep it. Pros: stiffens the car/provides some saftety, Cons: negs listed above plus inability to install rear carpet/ditch rear speakers without removing/destroying rear window.

finally, i live in florida, so losing the sunroof is not an option.

doug
Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

while there are options, M003 RS/CS has a base package of too many items to list but which includes
g50/32 transmission
single mass flywheel
welded in rollcage
suspension brace
seats
6pt belts
battery switch
fire extinguisher
no interior trim
adjustable wing & more aggressive front spoiler

this is a very different specification from the M002 RS which is referred to as the base RS which has as standard
g50/31 trans
dual mass flywheel
no cage/no roll bar
no brace
3 point belts
simplified trim
less aggressive aero

If you aren't tracking the car you have little use for a roll bar
Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM
dtm407
Intermediate

yeah, i leaning toward taking it out.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:31 PM
dtm407
Intermediate

bill

when you drive your car on the street, do you use your 6 point belts or street seat belt?

is the 6 point belts safer than the street belt since the buckle receptacle sits outside the recaro pole position seats? im concerned of "submarining" during an accident. (i believe schroth states that the pelvis must be stopped before the shoulders can be stopped. the shoulders must be stopped before the head can be stopped.)

is it legal to drive with 6 point on street?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dtm407
bill

when you drive your car on the street, do you use your 6 point belts or street seat belt?

is the 6 point belts safer than the street belt since the buckle receptacle sits outside the recaro pole position seats? im concerned of "submarining" during an accident. (i believe schroth states that the pelvis must be stopped before the shoulders can be stopped. the shoulders must be stopped before the head can be stopped.)

is it legal to drive with 6 point on street?
For street I use the 3 pts, just because i don't want to give the Gendarmes any more excuses to stop me
I have modified 3 pt mounts so they go they go through the holes in back and side, along w/ the 6 pt straps
Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The European M003 CS definitely came with a fully welded in Matter cage.

It is matter type RS/M003 on the silver build sticker on mine.

BillV, the 993 does not use the same cage as the 964 M001 or M003, if you consider the different rear suspension arrangements of the cars, the cages accommodate this in their design.

I am aware of the Australian cars with the bolt in cages, but are these greatly different from an M002 with cage and RSR/CS bodykit?

The european Lhd cars with 92 litre tank are the real deal.

Even the 7 rhd CS cars made for the UK market have the Lhd configured cage in a rhd car!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill. I stand corrected. I have that book but not here in Vanuatu and its been a long time since I was up with the pay on things RS. In our market and Australia the Matter cage cannot be complied or road use. If you import one with it installed it has to be removed! Stupidly we have our own standard. However the Heigo bolt in one can so was supplied.

Quick Reply: 993 CS roll bar question