Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake Fluid Dripped All Over Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 AM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As someone who just went through a similar situation, a full repsray is not in the option deck here. They will pay to fix like your insurance company will pay to fix, damaged areas only. Also getting diminished value won't be worth the fight either (unless you have some ultra low mile car). I would fight for a respray of the cowl assuming that's it. I would also look for rust. Lastly, a full respray will cost you $15k - $20k by a quality shop but good luck getting someone who wants to do the work.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
first, just breathe. Its just a car, it can be fixed.

Doing a partial repaint on black should not be hard to match. Add to that a little diminished value and your back where you started, likely with paint that looks better.

sometimes **** happens, but just keep in mind that its only a car and it will be fine.
I am with Quad on this one.

just last week my son left his bike too close to my car, and of course it fell over and left a few chips and scratches on my rear fender. Sure I got mad at him, mostly because there is plenty of room in the garage and he was just too lazy to organize stuff neatly so it would be away from my car.

A little Dr. Color Chip, and well, it isn't perfect by any means, and there are chips in the hood anyways, but it looks much better now. My car is far from perfect, yes I like to keep it nice, but at the end of the day, it is a material item, that I get pleasure from by driving it. It will continue to get more scratches and chips. It would hurt me far more to NOT drive it.

Have it fixed and keep on driving it.

Yesterday I went for a drive with LuckyJ, and despite the new scratches, I still came home with a smile on my face.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:51 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

They are in the business of keeping as much money as possible, while only doing the bare minimum they are legally required to do. A respray of only the affected area would satiate that legal hurdle; why would they do any more?
You are technically correct, but I think you seriously neglect the PITA factor. Most of the adjusters for small-scale claims are salaried schlubs working in a cubicle. If you know how to be the biggest PITA they have seen in a while, they FREQUENTLY pay out to get rid of the headache. A few calls and emails to the higher ups generally gets things done just fine. Seen it happen MANY times while I worked for America's suckiest insurance company.

(I won't mention their name, but they got a huge bail-out by the US Gov't, even as the top execs were handing themselves bonuses, and selling off shares that they knew would soon plummet in value.)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the OP get a full respray, diminished value, great flapjacks and a blow job from Miss Georgia 2013.
Nearly bust a gut on that one!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Well..... If you think that anyone is going to agree to a full respray of your entire car for paint damage to a minor area, I'd say you're gonna be in for a very rude awakening to how these things actually play out. I can tell you EXACTLY how this will play out with the mechanic and both yours and his insurance companies. Mark my words.
I never said I WANTED/DEMANDED a full respray. So don't talk to me about a rude awakening. Blow jobs from Miss Georgia on the other hand are just fine.

Here are the facts:
> The worst damage in on the cowl where the paint is actually bubbling up.
> The second worst areas are the hood and both front quarters. Where there are tiny dots everywhere from the splattering.
> The shop actually brought a full resrpay up in conversation when they initially called to tell me about the damage.
> The car is being brought back right now. It's been buffed and the paint is still screwed up.
> I just want the car back to some close condition as to what it was when it left for the shop. I brought up the full respray as I was thinking I could chip in some extra funds to make this happen. Personally, I don't really want to do that as I don't want a perfect car. I like something I can take to the store and not worry about it being parked outside in a parking lot.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Just so we all know what we are talking about...

Miss Georgia 2013
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea buddy. I'll put some brake fluid on the cowl for that
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chad,

Like I said I was in the same position that you were over a year ago except my damage was to the rear of the car. I ended up spending the money to the remainder of the car out of the recommendation of the body shop. I too struggled with whether to do it or not as I like to drive my car and being paranoid every time I went to a parking lot was not something I looked forward to. Fast forward to today. My car is completely resprayed. I haven't had full detail yet but it looks awesome. The paint looks factory and the car is fantastic. There is just something about having a 17 year old car that looks brand new. They way I looked at it was that these cars are OLD and the paint (at least mine) was definitely past it's prime. Painting 50% of the car would have ended up looking wrong and most likely would have detracted from its value in any future sale (always have to be dreaming of a Turbo). If it is reasonable, I would recommend doing the respray. Mine was around $5K extra, don't know what they are quoting for you in comparison.

Lastly, I would say make sure the shop is reputable but also made a judgment on the way their business is structured. A full respray takes a lot of effort, patience and those doing the job have to want to do it the right way. My recommendation is to find a restoration shop vs. a shop recommended to you by the dealer, etc. as while they do good work, they'll still treat it like just another job.

Best of luck and let me know if you would like to chat about my experience
Old 08-02-2013, 04:44 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlme36
Yea buddy. I'll put some brake fluid on the cowl for that
Fluid all over the car!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:52 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sort of an OT comment, but this is one of the many reasons I do my own work on my car.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Just so we all know what we are talking about...

Miss Georgia 2013
Thanks for doing that! I was going to post it this morning but got busy with real work. I do think that is the best shot of her and was going to see if I could find something better.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Sort of an OT comment, but this is one of the many reasons I do my own work on my car.
10-4 on that. The only thing I don't do is body and paint.

Is Miss GA, the one that Brent Mussberger was all gaga about?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
10-4 on that. The only thing I don't do is body and paint.

Is Miss GA, the one that Brent Mussberger was all gaga about?
Are you thinking of the Alabama QB's GF from the Orange Bowl? IIRC she was Miss something or other.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Are you thinking of the Alabama QB's GF from the Orange Bowl? IIRC she was Miss something or other.
That's the one. I think she was Miss AL.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks for doing that! I was going to post it this morning but got busy with real work. I do think that is the best shot of her and was going to see if I could find something better.
Anything for my Rennlist Brothers! Keep up your search, when you find something that meets your standard, post away!

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That's the one. I think she was Miss AL.
Got me curious so... did a little research

The Bama QB is AJ MCarron, his GF is/was Katherine Webb, she was Miss Alabama 2012.

Hey! my first multi-quote reply! FINALLY learned how to use that function.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

It sounds like you'll need a partial front end respray (minus bumper).

If your paint is in decent shape I would not put up extra $ to respray the entire car, just do the front end. Chances are it prob has a decent amount of imperfections, rock chips etc that now can be addressed. If you can get them to do the bumper (and maybe a bumperette delete) at no cost then even better!

A quality shop can can do a great job on the front end, along with a polish of the entire back half of the car afterwards, it will come out better looking than before for sure.

A bunch of us locally here did front end resprays this past winter, unless you car is a low mile concurs car, consider this a nice free front end paint job IMO.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Dripped All Over Paint