Brake Fluid Dripped All Over Paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Chad- sucks to hear about this. Agreed with above comment. Make sure you make it clear that you'd want a full repaint, not just damaged panels.
what he said
Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Why do a full repaint if it isn't necessary? There isn't an Insurance Co. on the planet that will agree to that. Chad, wait and see exactly what you're dealing with and go from there. I've had individual areas of both of my Porsches repainted with outstanding results, the 993 in Arena Red Metallic and the '88 Cab in black.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have, and can get, all the rock chips that these cars collect on the hood and bumper then I would look at this as a positive, not diminished value. If you drive it, at some point the front end needs a respray - don't think that diminishes value. Frustrating experience for sure, feel your pain there.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:41 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

I just got a call from the shop saying they had their preferred body shop look at it and they think it can be buffed out. I still don't have pictures and I have told them I want them ASAP. Apparently, the worst is around the front cowl where the fluid drained down the window. I am so freaking p1ssed.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I would not speculate too much before seeing the damage. Make sure that they do not anthing like buffing BEFORE you saw the original damage. This should become a priority for you.

On the repair, he will most likely use his insurance if the damage is bigger and I think it is generally reasonable that they assess the method and the extend of repair. They have an obligation to do so. Yes, we would like a full repaint, but if it can be buffed out (or just some panels need repaint vs. the entire car) there is not a lot you can do.

Just make sure that they work with a shop that you like and endorsed (and not they picked because it was cheapo).

GL.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear of your experience with brake fluid. You will probably want to do the less invasive fix first before resorting to a total repaint, note that the total repaint will probably not include a full jamb and sill repaint but a topical doors off and glazing out top surface repaint. All attempts to fix should be to your satisfaction. Good Luck!!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is really a bummer.

Not sure if it applies to a situation like yours, but my car was hit (not 993) while at a a body shop, and it was my insurance that had to cover the damage.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:12 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full respray due to the paint will never match if you don't. No way you're going to get an exact match on paint that old that has had UV exposure. The new paint will also react differently over time to UV rays than the old paint so the panels will eventually be a different color.

**** them - buffing it out. They will make that paint extremely thin in the areas that need buffed out. Personally, I'd be the biggest ******* they ever dealt with and would have already been at the shop telling them how this was going to proceed. Your 993 isn't a Honda Accord ... it is a car that will still be on the road 30+ years from now.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:16 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey, Big Mike. If I could get over there, (1 hour away) I would. I've got a ton going on at work and can't get away.

Here's a picture of the damage to the cowl. This is the worst of it. I'm just sick to my stomach.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That won't buff out. Well, they'll have insurance and should be on your side so their shop doesn't get ripped on all of the Porsche forums. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a similar thing happen years ago and was too busy to press the issue.
the problem is, to the shop its just another porsche, it might even be the least important(to them) or least expensive porsche they have at the moment.
either way the shop's motivation is to make the problem go away as cheaply and quickly as possible.
that will probably not match up with your motivation to have the best repair job done.
in the would-a-could wish I had done that and learn from my mistake category,
I wish I had taken at least half a day from my busy schedule to stand at the shop until my insurance company sent an adjuster over.
in fact at this point I wish I had taken my car away, paid my own deductible and dealt with the shop later.
no one will ever be as motivated to get this job done correctly as much as you.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

My 0.02:

Go for the full respray. Sounds like the guy knew it was a screw-up, and will probably accommodate a "reasonable" request. From your cowl pic, looks like the car could use a paint correction anyway, so this is a good opportunity to have it done on someone else's dime. Be sure to look for seeped fluid in areas like window frame, etc., so it all gets cleaned up and up don't have a surprise next time the window opens and closes.

I wouldn't go for the buffing option at all. Why let them thin out your paint?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

looks like time for a new windshield too...since to repair properly that's gotta come out. If it has even normal road rash on it, a clear view is better.

I would make sure they do no more than wash it off, neutralize any future damage the brake fluid can cause.

Trust no one, regarding this repair...no matter how well you know this shop. You really need to be immediately involved, regardless of distance. I would suggest they stay open late tonite to accomodate you driving there after work to see/take quality pics of the car.

If you don't like anything they have to say, get the car out of there. Take it to a local hi-end refinisher and get an appraisal done.

Don't expect this shop to have your best interest's in mind.

Best of luck
Old 08-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear
This is the worst of it. I'm just sick to my stomach.
first, just breathe. Its just a car, it can be fixed.

Doing a partial repaint on black should not be hard to match. Add to that a little diminished value and your back where you started, likely with paint that looks better.

sometimes **** happens, but just keep in mind that its only a car and it will be fine.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
first, just breathe. Its just a car, it can be fixed.

Doing a partial repaint on black should not be hard to match. Add to that a little diminished value and your back where you started, likely with paint that looks better.

sometimes **** happens, but just keep in mind that its only a car and it will be fine.
That is a good perspective. Just make sure you are reasonable and get it repaired to your satisfaction.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Dripped All Over Paint