Sponsored by:

'98 Targa: Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '98 Targa: Feeler

Several weeks ago I posted a thread about my job situation (company being acquired and expect massive cuts)and looking for advice on consolidating my '98 targa and my '12 cab. While no decisions have been made on the job front I'm feeling more compelled to eliminate any debt, simplify down to 1 car, and be prepared for whatever situation might arise.

With that being said, I purchased the 993 from a fellow RL'er earlier this summer and I absolutely love it. It had a PPI (pre) and PPI (post) and I've taken care of new shocks/struts & brakes all around. The only issue that I need to take care of is recharging the AC unit.

It is midnight blue on cashmere, 6-speed, and has 89,845 miles. This is just a feeler post but if I "officially" put it up for sale, I would ask $43,500.

If you know of anyone that might be interested, please have them PM me. I have many pics if anyone is serious.
Thanks, Jim

Last edited by Nthusiast; 05-19-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

certainly sounds like a "for sale" to me?

if you're trying to gauge value; my C2, had about 45,000 miles LESS than yours, and was almost $10,000 less than your asking price. might want to keep 'feeling'... post more pictures though!

(oh and the AC works...)
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love that blue.

More pics from the original For Sale Thread end of March

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=130095
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Is it Midnight or Ocean? PO listed it as Ocean?
GLWS
Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

love that color combo!!! price seems rich to me but its a free market! GLWS!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Beautiful Car. Sorry you're having to consider parting so soon with it. Why not sell the 997 and keep the 993.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 AM
wtmmm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the Targa top working? Has the top had any problems that needed to be fixed?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Originally Posted by wtmmm
How is the Targa top working? Has the top had any problems that needed to be fixed?
The top works great - no issues at all.

The color is actually midnight blue on cashmere.

The price might be a bit high but if I start low, I'll get lower. At this point I'm just trying to gauge interest. I'm having additional discussions on what I could get out of the 991 so once I have a better perspective on things, I'll determine the best way to go.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely fix the A/C before selling. "Fix" meaning repair the leaks, as just recharging it will only last until it leaks down again and you may end up with a pretty angry buyer--especially if asking a premium price.

Looks like a great car, good luck.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
I would definitely fix the A/C before selling. "Fix" meaning repair the leaks,
+1

Price is still $10k less than the silver one on the cars for sale page

Although.... for 17k more than the silver one you 'could' have gotten the red one.

Now that car was the deal of the week!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
sacman
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 97 Posts

wow...$6K appreciation after 3 months? At +10% that's even better than the stock market, nice.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Actually, I'm not sure how it's $6k in appreciation when you factor in taxes and the documented bill for both PPI's, new brakes, new shocks, driver's side window button fix, oil change, and detailing. I must be missing something.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Nthusiast
Actually, I'm not sure how it's $6k in appreciation when you factor in taxes and the documented bill for both PPI's, new brakes, new shocks, driver's side window button fix, oil change, and detailing. I must be missing something.
Modifications and maintenance do not translate into dollar for dollar return in car value. I see only around $0.30 to $0.40 for every dollar return equating to parts value which makes sense. Well maintained vehicles only helps you sell the car quicker IMHO.

Since when transaction fees are considered part of vehicle appreciation? According to your logic, all else being equal, multiple owner vehicles are worth more than one owner counterparts?

Regardless, I hope you get your asking. It only benefits current owners.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Nthusiast

I think you are missing something.

The items you listed do not add value as they are the costs of a transaction and ownership. Correcting deferred maintenance does add value to a car that was purchased at a lower than market price because of the repairs required. And adding desirable mods adds some value but it is not much.

I think your argument is that the market has significantly increased and you want to take advantage of it. But since the asking price from the former owner is understood by many here, and you might have paid even less, expect to get a few comments about your aggressive pricing.

Ask any price that you feel comfortable asking. All you need is one buyer who sees a high value. But when you need to sell the car reasonably quickly, bring the pricing back to earth.

As others have said, not having working air conditioning is a red flag and sends the wrong signals to a prospective buyer about the condition of your car.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Nthusiast
Instructor

I really find internet forums to be very interesting. It's funny how intent and purpose can be applied from afar to place judgement on anothers words.

The original intent of this thread (as titled) is a "feeler". I'm not sure I'm going to sell the car, especially because I would prefer not to. If I was 100% set on selling it, I would have posted it in the classifieds. While I put an asking price in the thread, everyone knows that unless you have something extremely rare, or something that will demand the price, there's often room for negotiation. Do I think I would get that price? No. But if I posted it for less, I would likely get less than asking. Again, the intent was to test the waters to see if anyone might know of someone looking for a nice car and determine (given my personal situation) if it makes most sense to sell this vehicle. Given the recent pricing of other vehicles similiar (not identical) to mine in the classifieds, I didn't think the "feeler" price was way out of line. Based on feedback, I guess I was wrong.

I understand and agree with the comments about maintenance not equating to vehicle worth. However, my position is that given the fair market value of the car there is SOME value for a potential buyer to not have to incur the maintenance charges associated with what I've done to ensure this is a well sorted vehicle. The car is currently in the shop getting the A/C fixed which I indicated in the original post that I need to take care of.

As always, thank you for the information.

Quick Reply: '98 Targa: Feeler