993 Forum 1995-1998

Just missed it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 447 Posts
Default Just missed it!!!

Saw a gorgeous '98 C2S with 26,000 miles on the PCA mart last night for $59,900 and thought, finally I have found my 993! Just got word from the seller that it was sold within 2 days of the ad being posted...Anyone here buy it? Still hunting through the insanity of the flippers
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

It always hurts when a car is snagged right under you - sorry to hear it. Interesting price point, the quick sale indicates it sold close to the asking price, so prices remain very solid and seem to be going up...

Doing this remotely is even more challenging -> no consolation, but try doing this from Canada, with the logistics of getting the currency down and buying cars. Its also sooo tempting to skip the PPI process given the way the market works, so its pretty tough at times.

Well, keep looking, maybe it was meant to be!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike! Doing this from here is difficult (I'm in Toronto), but I find that most sellers (not flippers) will hold the car with a small deposit while I arrange for a set of eyes to see it and get a PPI done. The challenge right now is finding a seller who is sincere and not just out to make a quick buck. I've had 3 contacts from this site during the last month who have all owned their cars for less than 3 months and buy and sell "as a hobby" - yeah, right! I have no problem paying $60K - $65K for the right car, but it has to be the right mileage, colors, options and condition.

This so reminds me of what happened to muscle cars in 2003 - 2004. They hobby went to hell because the real car guys got priced out of the market by the speculators. Soon, none of the rare stuff was getting driven and the cruise nights etc. were filled with junkers and modified cars.

Lucky for me I have my Grand Sport to scoot about in and I am patient enough to wait for the right car Sometimes I think I enjoy the hunt even more than the catch!
Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I saw it go up. I don't post about that stuff anymore because people here are in pursuit and sometimes it messes up their deals. I just assume that if your on the hunt, you're checking daily ..
Sorry you missed it. I'll pm you next time ...
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Thanks JPP. I know what you mean as I have lost a deal in the past because someone posted a link to a car in my wanted thread - I would appreciate a PM. In this case it is my own fault for missing it because I don't check the PCA site regularly (I find their searches a bit of a pain to do). I will check it every day from now on!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder what the sticker price was on that when new?
My '95 NB was in the mid 60's if I recall.
Sounds like that car held it's value exceptionally well!
Gordo
Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 PM
E_T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds all too familiar. I was going through the exact same thing two years ago, when my perfect 993 slipped through my fingers. Difficult to handle remotely, dealing with it from Europe even more so. Turns out the car was picked up by a dealer, someone I originally was hesitant to deal with, but who I resorted to once "my" car was gone. I had no idea, and couldn't believe it when the pics he sent me of stuff coming in turned out to be the same ones from cars.com, where I originally found it, in Charlottesville in Virginia, if I remember correctly.

There is a chance, then, that the car will resurface.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Thanks JPP. I know what you mean as I have lost a deal in the past because someone posted a link to a car in my wanted thread - I would appreciate a PM. In this case it is my own fault for missing it because I don't check the PCA site regularly (I find their searches a bit of a pain to do). I will check it every day from now on!
Stupid question, but do u have to be a PCA member to search that site for cars? I've never joined PCA

Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

yes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
pcarhiway
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Nice car for nice price

The owner left some $$ on the table in this transaction. Here is the lo-res picture from the PCA site and the description

For Sale: 1998 993 C2S - 26,2xx Miles Beautiful Guards Red with Cashmere Interior. Excellent Condition 2 owner car. I have been its caretaker to the last 8 yrs. Original CA car. Manuals - Records - Both Keys - CoA.

There was a white 98 C2S on the PCA site a few weeks back for $72000, I reached the owner by phone on the second day and it was already sold. I didn't ask him but I assume he got close to full asking since it sold so quickly.
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Bully67
Racer

Originally Posted by JPP
I saw it go up. I don't post about that stuff anymore because people here are in pursuit and sometimes it messes up their deals. I just assume that if your on the hunt, you're checking daily ..
Sorry you missed it. I'll pm you next time ...
I was checking daily and not making much progress. I found my white C2S after I called to set up a PPI on another car. The guy mentioned he had a customer putting his on the market. The add for the car came out in Panorama the NEXT month and the car was already in my garage.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:08 AM
E_T
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcarhiway
The owner left some $$ on the table in this transaction. Here is the lo-res picture from the PCA site and the description

For Sale: 1998 993 C2S - 26,2xx Miles Beautiful Guards Red with Cashmere Interior. Excellent Condition 2 owner car. I have been its caretaker to the last 8 yrs. Original CA car. Manuals - Records - Both Keys - CoA.

There was a white 98 C2S on the PCA site a few weeks back for $72000, I reached the owner by phone on the second day and it was already sold. I didn't ask him but I assume he got close to full asking since it sold so quickly.
That white C2S:

Could it be this one?

http://sloancars.com/3935/1998-993-c...y-17000-miles/
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Onami, sorry to hear that lately cars priced right go by quick and they are being purchased by dealers, the last 993 I bought I found it on the mart section also, I contacted the seller and told him I was interested and I wanted the car, he said to send him a dep which I did, called him later to see if he received the dep and he said yes, so I told him I have a ppi set up for that afternoon and he said he couldn't take it because there was a dealer from NJ driving to his house to look at the car, I told him I already put a dep on the car why are you showing it to someone else! This was he's response ( the guy from the dealer it's being very agreesive and he wouldn't take NO for a answer ) so I told him, you call him and tell him the car is sold and so he did, this dealers don't play around so we have to move very quickly! If I see something I will pm you right away...
Good luck with your search
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
pcarhiway
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by E_T
That white C2S:

Could it be this one?

http://sloancars.com/3935/1998-993-c...y-17000-miles/
Most likely the same one, I thought I remembered the white C2S on the PCA website with around 23000 miles instead of 17,453 but the blue interior and rear wing with original decklid still available are the same as the PCA car. I can't understand why someone would sell to a dealer in this market to have the car marked up 20% when it could go to an individual who could enjoy the car. Crazy market out there for choice air cooled cars - anyone following Turbo 964 pricing ???
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarhiway
Most likely the same one, I thought I remembered the white C2S on the PCA website with around 23000 miles instead of 17,453 but the blue interior and rear wing with original decklid still available are the same as the PCA car. I can't understand why someone would sell to a dealer in this market to have the car marked up 20% when it could go to an individual who could enjoy the car. Crazy market out there for choice air cooled cars - anyone following Turbo 964 pricing ???
Yes, especially '94 3.6 turbos

Quick Reply: Just missed it!!!