Sponsored by:

The right way to fix the dreaded door strap failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
redantporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokes
I had my guy copy the technique from this thread. You can see PO had the strap welded from the outside, but this failed. So, door off and access gained from behind. Reinforced with extra metal from behind and welded back. Didn't get as many photos but you get the idea.
Spokes - I don't mean to be negative or critical, but I have to say that the pics from your fix show that even if you give someone step-by step pictures on how to fix something, you still need talent. Looking at your pictures, I see some very specific and obvious flaws between your job and the job I had done in Las Vegas.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Redantporsche, no offence taken. Really happy with the job, probably blame the poor iPhone pics and light.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the door strap problem show up across all 993 years, or just a select year range?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Docs I have read on buying a 993 just warns about the door strap breakage. I can't recall a specific year.

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM
redantporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have a 1976 912E. It has the problem, so it's across all 993's and other models!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a slightly different take on this repair. We followed the similar procedure of cutting the exterior wall piece as the welds had both cracked on the inside facing the rear of the car. It also seems that the factory at some point (mine is a 97) reinforced the rear wall with a double plate. It did not stop the factory weld from splitting however. My welder, after examining the stress direction suggested on repairing the weld and tacking a large steel block on the back of the cut off plate that rests tightly on the door bracket. That will keep it from flexing and possibly breaking the weld again in the future. Will paint tomorrow but i'm feeling very confident that unless I open the door in a tornado it will work fine. Doug

you can see the factory extra reinforcement . Welds still broke . Back is solid.

The block was slowly ground until the fit was exact with just contacting the door bracket.

The final closing with the block preventing the movement of the strap inside
Old 03-21-2015, 02:03 PM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

Been searching for pictures of this issue on this site before tackling the job without success... obviously I had the wrong keywords! Here is another version of Doug's fix, I think the forward end of the bracket is where the problem starts, I think it is originally only spotwelded. When these let go, you're off with onlu two beads around the cutout... obviously not enough. My car was previously "repaired"... my advice, don't go half the way, you might end up with what I had to start with... enjoy the show:

Just completed the welding this week, bought the paint yesterday, need to do some preparation still.

To answer an question asked long ago on this thread, removing the wing will only give you like an inch more space to do the work since the bodywork where the wing attaches is coming all the way out to the wing contour...
Attached Images        

Last edited by mesprit87; 03-22-2015 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Race4S
Advanced

wow. so proud to see such nice work done.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:27 PM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comment, here is the finished product :
Attached Images    
Old 04-17-2015, 01:11 AM
MartinC2S
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dauuuuuummm!
Old 04-17-2015, 03:54 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

is anyone worried about rust proofing the backside of those welds ? - the factory zinc coating is obviously blown away and there will be bare unprotected metal and the weld backside (which can be really ugly) in that cavity.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 AM
mesprit87
Rennlist Member

I am...but what are the options? Even a professional job won't answer that.
I was able to prime the upper portion of the rework from the wires feed thru. I then injected rust proofing from the same hole and around the cutout. No way anybody is going to make it like the factory did (it breaks anyway) and there is absolutely no access from the bottom. I will live with it as the car won't see snow and sleeps in a heated garage but I agree with you that anything welded is so much more prone to rust. Then again, changing the whole beam wouldn't butcher the car less and you would be stuck with the same problem of rust proofing.
I know I won't miss the clunk-clunk.
All I strongly suggest is for everybody who doesn't have this problem already to do the mod suggested on P-car. Personnally, I still have to modify the passenger side before the welds let go. There is no way to tell if this original was done on a Friday night, don't chance it...do the mod!

Quick Reply: The right way to fix the dreaded door strap failure