Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

So I took my 993 to get the clicking door straps fixed.. $310 later... Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
What they did is worth $3.50
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by dmurchison
Ya all it is is a damping sound. And the rubber piece moves around a lot. I feel like it would come out eventually too. Ya i will try to fight this! I did pay by credit card $363.29 for this job. Hopefully some good happens on monday, if not I will call the credit card company, not sure what they can do. I do have the invoice. And yes it is probably broken inside.

I wish the business would read all this, and have a response to their job.
You have 60 business days to dispute the charge...I'm going thru that right now with the brutal and deliberate damage done to my DD by a shop who first did the work. The second shop documented the condition...said it looked like they beat the hell out of the rear brakes with a hammer-never did the alignment, and everything was loose up front.

Give the shop another chance to do it right, tell them exactly what you expect the outcome to look like...and for what you already paid.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

”The dreaded check strap click”:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ck+strap+click

“[Modifying] 993 Door Check-Strap Detent Assembly” :
http://p-car.com/diy/doorcheck/
Old 07-15-2013, 03:01 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE! So I went back to the shop today and it seems to me it was a misunderstanding between the owner's son and him. I payed for the new door straps and install apparently. But they are going to do the weld tomorrow at no charge. I am thankful for the shop and will return with my business.

Now lets see how this weld goes!!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

UPDATE! So I went back to the shop today and it seems to me it was a misunderstanding between the owner's son and him. I payed for the new door straps and install apparently. But they are going to do the weld tomorrow at no charge. I am thankful for the shop and will return with my business.

Based on the pics you've already shown, I would not have high hopes. But for your sake, I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Andreas
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

So did you show the shop some of the forum comments? If so, they have to know alot of eyes will be looking at the outcome.
If you did not sit down with them, +1 on what Andreas said ^^^.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Ya that makes ma a little nervous, but I think it will be alright. I told him there was a lot of hate from the rennlist community on the repair ha!

But the owner used to work at another shop, "viperBob" 's shop. I talked to Bob today at his shop and he said the previous employee has done the repairs multiple times in the past, the right way. So we will see.

I'm pretty sure the cost I payed was just for the replacements of the door straps and install. His son told me they were going to do a weld. He was unaware of that and thought they were just replacing the straps from my understanding. And then just put in the rubber to help out.

When I drop off the car tomorrow I will discuss more about the weld.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:12 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure the cost I payed was just for the replacements of the door straps and install.
Pelican sells new door check 'straps' for $35 each.

Andreas
Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm glad it's working out. Kenny is the only guy in town to let touch the engine in an air cooled Porsche.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Hey D- I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking my car back to that shop. It's good to hear they are willing to weld the straps and make it right for you. Just so you know, the spot-weld that they are planning on will break again in time. You still have to open up the new strap assembly and trim down the rubber bumpers inside, if you want to preserve that new weld. I've seen way to many 993 with spot weld failure, unless they reweld it the right way from inside the jam.....$$$. I'd hate to see you waste time and money, and still no resolution.

BTW, the strap mod is something you're going to have to do yourself. I don't think any shop is willing to take on this task.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Hey D- I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking my car back to that shop. It's good to hear they are willing to weld the straps and make it right for you. Just so you know, the spot-weld that they are planning on will break again in time. You still have to open up the new strap assembly and trim down the rubber bumpers inside, if you want to preserve that new weld. I've seen way to many 993 with spot weld failure, unless they reweld it the right way from inside the jam.....$$$. I'd hate to see you waste time and money, and still no resolution.

BTW, the strap mod is something you're going to have to do yourself. I don't think any shop is willing to take on this task.
Well said.

Andreas
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Originally Posted by P-daddy

I have checked out the strap mod and will of course do this! Doesn't seem too hard.

On the note of the weld, he said he was going to go behind, but i'm not sure if he's going to remove the door and fender or go through the front way. I will ask him this tomorrow. I don't thing it is just a spot weld, but we will see!

Thanks for your advice!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

I just dropped my 993 off to have the passenger door strap repaired. I have been researching this subject for some 6 months. I decided to go with a full repair. The body shop I settled on is a reputable European Car Shop. They had a full schedule of the factory repair, including time to remove fenders, bumper assy, trim, etc etc repair description and reassembly. Confident I will get a good permanent repair. Suggest you understand the job your guy is going to undertake, otherwise I fear you are heading down a rabbit hole.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I do not 100% agree that you need to do the "inside" job - I know of a few ones like the one I posted that have been going for 8+ years, with unmodified stops with no issues. I think it depends on the quality of the repair.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-15-2013, 08:24 PM
redantporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had mine repaired by Premier Sportscar in Vegas...I posted pics in another post. Car at their shop right now.

Quick Reply: So I took my 993 to get the clicking door straps fixed.. $310 later... Need advice!