Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Has time past for CD changers?
Go modern with no CD changer
74.14%
Look for a new head unit with matching CD changer
5.17%
Look for a head unit that matches existing OEM changer
20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Have CD Players' Time past?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts
Default Have CD Players' Time past?

I need to change out the original head unit in my 96. The cassette doesn't work and CDs often skip over small bumps. How much effort should I put in worrying about the car still having a CD player/changer? Also, is the original stereo system tied in at all to the immobilizer or car alarm?

I'm leaning toward a top quality head unit with bluetooth phone and all the modern features with no CD player, and just digitizing all my CDs onto my iPhone. The rear speakers rattle, so all the speakers will get replaced as well. I like the original look but admit I'm ready to get the latest features even if it looks more modern.

I also admit I'm old enough to remember when 8 tracks went out and cassettes went out as well. I'm thinking CD players are at or near that stage. I really don't see much future in having 90's technology available in the same vehicle as my iPod, but I thought I'd get some board members' opinions as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Haven't had a use for a CD in years but definitely prefer the stock look to the ugly aftermarket options. I plan on changing my aftermarket Mcintosh head unit out with a CDR220 and aux input that I picked up used, much nicer look. At least in my car with the FD stage II's I don't think Bluetooth would workout to well, two much noise in the cabin.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Bought my car with an Alpine head unit/amp/ADS speakers, and iPod hookup. Listen to music always but rarely ever put a CD in. Much easier having all of your music on the iPod.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 100% satellite, and just run it through the cassette (!?!?!?) Fingers are too old to fumble with the tiny buttons on new head units, and the sound is good enough for what the car is used for.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 AM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend the Porsche/Becker CDR220, used it in my 96 993 and love it.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

None of the above. I play Pandora through my iphone5 connected with this cable.

Best $70.00 bucks I spent.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/iP-BKRCD.html
Attached Images     
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't even remember where my CD case is any more. Mostly satellite on my end. Use to love the Phatbox system in my allroad, in that it would talk to you. You could search through your music without looking at a screen.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

My 2 cents. i just installed a kenwood 997 from Rod at Car auidio innovations. yes its too glossy, but its features are amazing. I have my ipod classic hooked up and it has pandora etc. Since i was replacing thet PO's stereo mistake i didn't have the factory head to work with, wish i had it. replaced the speakers and amp at the same time. After seeing this, i may purchase the 220 to have in case i want to sell the car, but the sound from newer equipment is much better. i've got fisters too, but when not in the throttle its nice to have good tunes. CD changers, are a total waste if thats the tilting point for your decision, think of it as weight savings =-)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

CD days are done for me. It's either iPhone/ipod or Pandora.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:07 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I listen to my iTunes and Pandora via Bluetooth with the phone in my pocket. Wired access is so 2010.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

OP -
Yes the Redbook CD (CompactDisc audio) is being challenged by alternate data storage schemes such as MP3, (iPhone, etc.) downloading and the like, however the rumor of its death is greatly exaggerated...

A cutting edge approach to upgrading our 993s (or others) is to utilize most any ole OEM head unit in concert with an outboard DSP unit. A recent batch of automotive aftermarket DSP modules provide exemplary D/A conversion, USB inputs, SPDIF inputs, Aux, Bluetooth, and herculean DSP equalization all wrapped in a diminutive chassis. - The initial setup,, sometimes with auto EQ, time alignment, etc., is via a Tablet/PC/Android/iPhone, etc., and all in real time. Their cost is about $500. to $600.00 USD.
Additionally, a FLAC storage device (cigarette box sized or larger) will archive 100's of CD's without the MP3 compression schemes negative artifacts. Here's a brief discussion, explanation link. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/answers/6/

I often use the Apple Lossless scheme with the iPhone 5 ... and when connected to the coupes Pioneer P99RS head unit - the D/A is performed within the P99RS and not with the cheezy iPhone 5 - D/A converter. *** There's a huge sonic improvement with the P99RS's (4ea) Brown-Burr 24/96hz D/A converters. Do a P99RS search for pictures of the head unit as installed in a 993

Question: How is your 993 stereo equipped? Is it the standard Becker CR210 cassette radio and speakers? Or with the HiFi speaker & amp option? This option is code #490.

In summary - Up rate to one of the OEM CDR210, CDR220, or other radio,, whichever blows up your skirt, (the radio will act only as a pre-amp/control device) and incorporate a DSP module and amplifier. Ditch the CD changer for a MP3, WAV file or FLAC data storage.

Cheers, Mike

*** In a limited fashion Apple Computer licenses to Pioneer, Wadia Digital and a few others the ability to capture the needed MP3 D/A conversion external of the iPhone, IPod products. (These licenses are few.) As example Wadia Digital and Pioneer's DEX P99RS head unit uses several hi brow 24/96hz and /or 24/192hz D/A converters.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:35 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Here's a link to the 80PRS referenced. A video tutorial is provided for all its features... The unit looks like a great 993 solution even if not an exact OEM radio aesthetic. List price is $350.00 USD,,, the street price must be well below $300.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...vers/DEH-80PRS

All disclaimers apply.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric,
what headunit are you using?
The bluetooth is a good idea!
Thanks.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
A cutting edge approach to upgrading our 993s (or others) is to utilize most any ole OEM head unit in concert with an outboard DSP unit. A recent batch of automotive aftermarket DSP modules provide exemplary D/A conversion, USB inputs, SPDIF inputs, Aux, Bluetooth, and herculean DSP equalization all wrapped in a diminutive chassis. - initial setup, auto EQ, etc., is via Tablet/PC/Android etc., and all in real time. Their cost is about $500. to $600.00 USD.
My 993 needs an audio upgrade and that solution sounds very interesting. CDR220 + DSP... Hmm. My current HU has the typical cheap-tastic-plastic look that's so prevalent these days and I'm not going to put anything similar in there, no matter what the features.

So what model outboard DSP do you recommend?

Interesting link re: WAV vs. FLAC as well. I've been using FLAC for years but I'll have to try WAV and see if I hear a difference. This is the method I use to rip FLAC via EAC --

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...s_guide_to_EAC
Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
I recommend the Porsche/Becker CDR220, used it in my 96 993 and love it.
I have this too with a setup to connect to an iPod iPhone. Love it. Looks stock and gives you the opportunity to have all your music. And getting the CD changer out of the trunk gives you more space when you travel.

Jack

Quick Reply: Have CD Players' Time past?