Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has time past for CD changers?
Go modern with no CD changer
74.14%
Look for a new head unit with matching CD changer
5.17%
Look for a head unit that matches existing OEM changer
20.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Have CD Players' Time past?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:03 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

There's something to be said in keeping the interior appearance stock, the Becker CDR220 996/986 head unit is understandable rotary volume pots and all.
As for a DSP recommendation (disclaimers apply) there's offers from Alpine, Audison, Helix, Mindmap, MiniDSP, Mosconi and Zapco to name a few. The Mosconi model 6to8is an outboard DSP I own. Additionally Mosconi offers a few amplifier/DSP combo units.
http://www.mosconi-system.it

Originally Posted by mongrelcat

So what model outboard DSP do you recommend?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:30 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of these connected to the factory becker unit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1106584607...84.m1423.l2649
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

I appreciate all the good advice. I'm going to take my time and look at the various options. The poll is leaning the same way I am; a modern unit with no CD changer.

Now I've just got to get the right combination of head unit, amp, and speakers. I might as well do it right.

One question however that I did not see an answer to; is the stock CR1 unit tied at all to the immobilizer or alarm?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
One question however that I did not see an answer to; is the stock CR1 unit tied at all to the immobilizer or alarm?
Nope
Old 07-14-2013, 11:40 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pirahna
Nope
Good. I was hoping for that answer. With all the threads I've seen on immobilizer issues, I didn't want to create a problem.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
There's something to be said in keeping the 993s interior stock in appearance, so, the Becker CDR220 996/986 head unit is understandable; Rotary volume pots and all.
As for a DSP recommendation (all disclaimers apply) there are offering's from notables such as Alpine, Audison, Helix, Mindmap, MiniDSP, Mosconi and Zapco to name a few. The Mosconi model 6to8 is an outboard DSP I own. Additionally Mosconi offers a few amplifier/DSP combo units.
http://www.mosconi-system.it
+1

I am using the new Mosconi 4 to 6 DSP. CDR-220 headunit (w/ ipod adapter) => Mosconi DSP => Hertz HDP Amp (4 channel) => Focal 6.5"/tweeter separates under the stock "hi fi" door pods.

Looks 100% stock (I personally decided not compromise on this-especially with a cabriolet and theft concerns). Sounds great, not audiophile quality, but much better than most I have heard.

The DSP unit really is magic. It takes the source unit signal and allows you to time shift and equalize each speaker (or amplifier channel) individually. I could believe how different (and better) the system sounded with this addition. 31 bands of equalization per channel and timeshifting allows you to place the stage up on the dash. It really is a fantastic piece of technology. Both the amplifier and DSP fit under the passenger seat.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm mostly Sirius and IPod/IPhone, but I have a few mix CD's in the door pocket, just because.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The question is has the time of MP3s passed.
I stream pandora or amazon music through Iphone hooked up to the Alpine unit.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default System Equalization via digital signal processing

The single greatest weakness in our 993 radio systems is the lack of EQ.
A contemporary DSP unit (1/3 octave) is the biggest bang for your enhancement buck IMHO. I've listened at length to a stock 993 coupe with a MiniDSP DSP module coupled to the Becker/Porsche CDR210 a CD radio.... The audio was outstanding!
And the cost for quality DSP is getting cheaper by the minute...

Originally Posted by civerson4
+1
The DSP unit really is magic. It takes the source unit signal and allows you to time shift and equalize each speaker (or amplifier channel) individually. I could believe how different (and better) the system sounded with this addition. 31 bands of equalization per channel and timeshifting allows you to place the stage up on the dash. It really is a fantastic piece of technology. Both the amplifier and DSP fit under the passenger seat.
Cheers, Mike
Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The single greatest weakness in our 993 radio systems is the lack of EQ.
From a hardware perspective, yes. For most users, though, the biggest limitation is crappy MP3 source material. I am honestly amazed at the number of people who pay big $$$ for an "upgraded" audio system, then use 256K MP3, lossy itunes encodes, and/or low-bandwidth stream as their source.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
schroed911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made this choice with two cars over the past 6 months.

One had a six pack CD and I used the aux cable from discount stereo. For less than $20 I plug in my phone for playing Spotify and such. No handsfree phone or sat radio.

The CDR-210 died on me in the other car. I swapped for an Alpine with BT handsfree, CD, sat and this is a much better setup. The sole complaint is the glossy finish on all of the new head units. I kept the CDR-210 if some day I want to return to original. Sat radio is expensive for what you get but I like the ease of use and frequently drive in areas without cellular network coverage.

For both cars I didn't remove any of the stock wiring connectors or amps. Used snap wire taps to connect to the harness near the stock connectors.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

+1 Agreed. Too funny.
The acoustic signature of our 993s (or any car) is that of a sewer pipe... EQ is a 993 owners friend ....

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
EDIT/DELETE..
... I am honestly amazed at the number of people who pay big $$$ for an "upgraded" audio system, then use 256K MP3, lossy itunes encodes, and/or low-bandwidth stream as their source.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:48 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

OP -
Yes the Redbook CD (CompactDisc audio) is being challenged by alternate data storage schemes such as MP3, (iPhone, etc.) downloading and the like, however the rumor of its death is greatly exaggerated...

A cutting edge approach to upgrading our 993s (or others) is to utilize most any ole OEM head unit in concert with an outboard DSP unit. A recent batch of automotive aftermarket DSP modules provide exemplary D/A conversion, USB inputs, SPDIF inputs, Aux, Bluetooth, and herculean DSP equalization all wrapped in a diminutive chassis. - The initial setup,, sometimes with auto EQ, time alignment, etc., is via a Tablet/PC/Android/iPhone, etc., and all in real time. Their cost is about $500. to $600.00 USD.
Additionally, a FLAC storage device (cigarette box sized or larger) will archive 100's of CD's without the MP3 compression schemes negative artifacts. Here's a brief discussion, explanation link. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/answers/6/

I often use the Apple Lossless scheme with the iPhone 5 ... and when connected to the coupes Pioneer P99RS head unit - the D/A is performed within the P99RS and not with the cheezy iPhone 5 - D/A converter. *** There's a huge sonic improvement with the P99RS's (4ea) Brown-Burr 24/96hz D/A converters. Do a P99RS search for pictures of the head unit as installed in a 993

Question: How is your 993 stereo equipped? Is it the standard Becker CR210 cassette radio and speakers? Or with the HiFi speaker & amp option? This option is code #490.

In summary - Up rate to one of the OEM CDR210, CDR220, or other radio,, whichever blows up your skirt, (the radio will act only as a pre-amp/control device) and incorporate a DSP module and amplifier. Ditch the CD changer for a MP3, WAV file or FLAC data storage.

Cheers, Mike

*** In a limited fashion Apple Computer licenses to Pioneer, Wadia Digital and a few others the ability to capture the needed MP3 D/A conversion external of the iPhone, IPod products. (These licenses are few.) As example Wadia Digital and Pioneer's DEX P99RS head unit uses several hi brow 24/96hz and /or 24/192hz D/A converters.
It took a while (two years) but I'm moving on your suggestions. I have the standard radio setup now, not the hifi version. I ordered the replacement hifi speakers from Carnewal and received them last week. Now I'm looking at the DSP option you described and the FLAC storage. I assume this is still the latest setup? My head unit says Porsche CR-1 so I guess anything will be an upgrade. I'll take a look at the Pioneer but I'm leaning toward an OEM CDR 210 or 220.

thanks again.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
I am honestly amazed at the number of people who pay big $$$ for an "upgraded" audio system, then use 256K MP3, lossy itunes encodes, and/or low-bandwidth stream as their source.
I agree. I mean you're in a car...with engine noise, wind noise, tire noise, etc. How much difference could ANY "fidelity improvement" measures make. In a home...yes...but in a car...you're gonna hear mostly noise anyway, so what's the point.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:45 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

I finally decided to replace my CR-1 head unit with this Pioneer unit. It seems to be a matte black finish and I can adjust the back lights to amber. So I should get some modern conveniences without too much bling.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X960...T#&gid=1&pid=1

I ordered OEM hifi speakers from Gert to replace the busted ones in the back. I'm looking for improvement, not perfection so this should work. I do lose the CD player but that's was the original question I asked in this thread.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Have CD Players' Time past?