Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or is the 993 Targa a great looking car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:44 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by porschecab
Marc - I couldn't agree more. When he was telling me about it - I thought he was exaggerating - how could it possibly cost this much - but the receipts all show what was done and indeed, crazy.
Dan,

I know you are trying to sell the car and not bother yourself with other work, but ...

If you could, could you PM me the work slip with all parts and labor for this? I'm really curious the breakdown of this. I've worked on these targa tops quite a bit and I like to have a reference as to everything they do to consider a total restoration. Thanks.

Marc G.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 AM
porschecab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc,

Sorry for the delay. I will happily send you the detailed breakdown.

Dan
Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

A belated reply:
I always loved Cabs. But, when I saw the 1967 911S Targa it was "Gotta have one." Well never did when their prices dropped. And, 2 years ago when I started looking for a 911, I found a 997.2 Targa at Desert European with 5,300 miles on it. Beautiful - white with Beige/Black interior & all the bells & whistles. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it. But, loved the look. (Wife's E350 has the Panorama Roof which is all black top like Targa.) Looked at others, some in person. Ended up buying a Maserati GranTurismo instead. (We old people have trouble with a street-car riding stiffer than any of my race cars did.)

Then a couple of months ago I was surfing on Autotrader for Targas & BINGO - up pops this 1997 in white with beige/black with 17,700 miles at Frank's Motorcars in Laguna. Wow! Lots of talk & pix, a PPI by a shop recommended by some local PCA officers & witnessed by a friend who is restoring a 911. And, a deal was struck.

I considered driving or shipping it up to Monterey for Legends of the Autobahn. But, the logistics were too complicated & I passed on that.

Now parked in my garage between the Maser & my wife's E350, it looks like a toy. But, the tall-sidewall tires give it a good ride, the car looks like new, and has all of those nice mechanical Porsche sounds of the air-cooled cars. Once a Clarion NZ503 is installed, it will have Navi, Sat rad, backup camera just like our other cars.

We went for a ride the first evening with everything open. It was like being in a roadster (We had quite a few.) with the sky above, but without the wind buffeting us. It was even better than a new Cab we drove with windows up (I hate that look.) and wind-blocker in place.

To answer the original question - the Targa is NOT as aggressive looking as the coupe, especially the S, 4S or T. But, it is a cruising car "par excellence." As for rattles & leaks - no rattles at 17,800 miles & no top leaks from the wash I gave it. Passenger window had a few drops. Not sure if it was fully seated.

Big question, what maintenance is needed to keep the top in perfect working condition? I don't want a repeat of the $2,000 BMW Pano roof rebuild we had 4 years ago.

As someone said, it isn't a track car. Buy, a coupe for that. It IS a relaxing cruiser. Buy & enjoy.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 271 Posts

I just bought a Targa too. I love the way you can open it up and close it with the touch of a button (at any speed).

I successfully used 303 Aerospace on my prior Porsche Boxster convertible. It keeps the seals fresh and helps a great deal with rattles and wind noise. My Targa top fits well (no leaks and no wind noise). We'll see what happens over time.

Clean, but don't lube the track.

The other way to get rid of some rattles is to upgrade your exhaust...

/
Old 08-20-2013, 09:34 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

"The other way to get rid of some rattles is to upgrade your exhaust..."

LOL!!! As an ex-racer you have to know that I love the "music" from out back. That's another reason I bought the Maserati. For a sample, listen to:
This sound was picked up from the video recorder on the front-seat console. Imagine what it sounded like out back.

But, the other side of your comment is that it reminds me of what a Toyota Service Mgr, once said to my wife when we had a POS Camry. It developed rattles within a couple of years from new. "Tell your husband to turn up the volume on the radio." That covered the rattles, but not the breakdowns. Can you imagine that the old MGB I had at the time was MORE reliable? It was.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is the 993 Targa a great looking car?