Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or is the 993 Targa a great looking car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Is it just me or is the 993 Targa a great looking car?

I know, I know. The Targa is not the best car with it's body creaks and roof troubles, not a real sports car, a convertible with a top etc... but I've always thought the 993 Targa was a fantastic looking car. There's something about the look from the rear with the big glass roof and the curvatures of the hips that is just incredibly sexy. I'm looking at two of them, both 96’s with mid-30 and low 40k, one owner cars. Any comments from any one?

Joel
Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i always thought the view inside looking out was the best!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:19 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Joel,

Targa's are great looking cars. They do have some issues with the tops. They can have some creaks, wind noise, and sometimes water leaking when it rains. But, if you know how to properly maintain them, you can get them quite quiet with no leaks. If you're handy with a wrench you can make these adjustments yourself.

I do admit that the design for these tops (993 version) was over engineered. That's why the parts are many and need adjustments. You are correct in saying that they are really a cabriolet with a hard top roof. But when they were made, Porsche was ahead of its time. There was nothing even close to this concept back then, and the look they achieved, in my opinion, was awesome!

The 996 and 997 targas are built off of a coupe body style. So they essentially cut a large sunroof out of it. My understanding (I'm making assumptions here because I've never owned one) is Porsche had less problems with these targa tops with their newer, one-piece, design. However, IMO, they're not 993's, so the body style is not to my liking as much.

I'm always taken back when I hear people say they are not truly a sports car. So are all cabs not sports cars too? I think for the true track racer, they are not. But for spirited street driving and AX they work just fine. And, I would say, that that classification fits most folks who own a 993. There have been several RL'ers who have AX these cars. Some even with super chargers. I believe if you want a fast, fun, sexy sports car, a targa is a nice choice. If you are truly racing, then a dedicated track car is probably more what you should consider. (I am sure I'll get a lot of replies with these comments.)

Just search on RL and you'll find many info (and pics) with these cars. Mike J. is one of the gurus on these cars and he's lives just up in your area. Although he sold the car for a 993 turbo (a better car?) but his neighbor owns his old one and drives the heck out of it. Maybe he can hook you up with him to test drive.

Hope my comments help.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much Marc. I'll check with the local boys here too.

Here's the ones I am looking at:

http://www.briansautocenter.com/used...cf4eac5e66.htm

http://eurospeedimports.com/vehicles...Carrera+710731

Both look pristine but pics can definately being deceiving.

Joel

Last edited by Zeus993; 06-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

This one?

http://www.briansautocenter.com/used...cf4eac5e66.htm

Nice cars, but sticker shock!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:45 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Zeus993 - First link didn't work for me. Second one - looks like an all original (very few upgrades) car. It's a lower mileage car, but just realize that these cars are going on 17 years of age. So it will require some maintenance just do to that. But we can walk you through a lot of what needs to be done.

The only downside (minor one) is that the 1996 model was the first year for the 993 targa. Porsche made some modifications to the top to minimize water leaks, wind noise, and creaks. Most upgrades are minor such as newer bolts and pieces and can be done by a mechanical person. I have no idea what your wrench skills are like, or your confidence is in working on cars. I'm not trying to say you need to be a mechanic to own one of these, but if you're not that type, then it is wise to have a good mechanic friend and/or shop that will help you. A Porsche dealership service cost is just too high, IMO, to consider for these older cars.

You'll also find that RL'ers are very knowledgeable about the value of these cars. So don't purchase one without a full PPI and comparing to the current market value that is common to the Rennlist community. Just looking at Kelley Blue Book values is not enough.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Thanks so much Marc. I'll check with the local boys here too.

Here's the ones I am looking at:

http://www.briansautocenter.com/used...23cfcf4eac5e66.

http://eurospeedimports.com/vehicles...Carrera+710731

Both look pristine but pics can definately being deceiving.

Joel
The Brian's auto center link is bad....but you can just go to their web site home page and see the car in the inventory.
Silver/red with hardbacks!! Very nice
Old 06-15-2013, 01:16 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Fixed link. Tx. Yes - nice hardback seats on the Silver/Burgandy.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 76 Posts

Love the one from Brian's , but why is the check engine light on?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I have always thought that the Targa, in either of its variants was a great do it all good, but not great compromise. Don't get me wrong here, I loved my SC targa, it could be a coupe sort of, and a cab, sort of. I liked it because it offered me options. Yet at the same time, it wasn't really a cab, nor was it a coupe.

While I did track the targa, it wasn't a great platform for that and it showed its limitations pretty early on. It was still fun, albeit not very competitive, although that was more due to the driver.

personally, I am not a huge fan of the 993 targa lines, I don't hate it or anything, just more of purist for the original 901 lines that the coupe and cab follow more closely.

Still I do think the 993 targa accomplishes what it's goal is, to offer open air driving in a coupe format. People that want that can have it.

Everyone that I know that has a targa loves it, with only one exception, and that is a friend that inherited his targa from his dad, so he didn't really have a choice in the matter.

Everyone is entitle to their opinion, and to me the 993 targa is more about providing driving environment options.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika

personally, I am not a huge fan of the 993 targa lines, I don't hate it or anything, just more of purist for the original 901 lines that the coupe and cab follow more closely.

+1 Personal taste, but I don't care for the lines of the 993 Cab/Targa, either. Better than previous series' Cab/Targa lines, though.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 94 Posts

No affiliation, but check out this one. great looking car with the BBS wheels

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...844667361.html
Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Targa vs non

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I know, I know. The Targa is not the best car with it's body creaks and roof troubles, not a real sports car, a convertible with a top etc... but I've always thought the 993 Targa was a fantastic looking car. There's something about the look from the rear with the big glass roof and the curvatures of the hips that is just incredibly sexy. I'm looking at two of them, both 96’s with mid-30 and low 40k, one owner cars. Any comments from any one?

Joel
Hi Joel,

I have a 993 Targa and C2S...I'm a street driver only, but when I feel like a wanna-be-racer, I take the C2S out...

when I feel like getting some fresh air, enjoying the scenery, and relaxing my mind, I take the Targa out...

my wife also says I look more at my Targa's behind than her's....so you figure
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Joel,

Both are very clean and nice cars. I'm not so sure they warrant a $50+K price tag however.

You also should have someone check it out and get a PPI before getting too serious. Not that I don't think these are beautiful cars, but, they are both sold by dealers and dealers don't tend to be as honest (at least in my experience) as a private seller if there's something to hide. A good PPI by an independent shop that can throw her on the lift and closely evaluate the underside and body, can save you a lot of headaches.

Again, that's a steep price for those cars. However, if they are completely maintained and have ALL the service work done and the car has ALL the options you want, then go for it. For me, I'm quite familiar with these cars and there's always got to be something in the budget to get out all the kinks.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i always thought the view inside looking out was the best IN A CAB!
^^
Fixed that for you.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is the 993 Targa a great looking car?