Sponsored by:

Trivia inquiry re: steering wheel color

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 PM
tacomaworld
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trivia inquiry re: steering wheel color

I was a salesman of Porsches in the late 90s and should be able to remember this... but I don't: what option code resulted in a black steering wheel in a non-black interior? I see the option, "partial leather" on a lot of window stickers and the color of the wheel matches the color of the seats. It is rare that I see a black steering wheel in, say, a Nephrite Green "partial leather" interior. Ideas?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

"Marble Gray" would be light gray with black dash and steering wheel.

There were several other "Marble" colors, but not necessarily with black steering wheels or dashes. The word "Marble" would usually mean a deviating color dash and wheel vs. carpet. But there was also a concept of "deviating interior", which usually meant darker carpet and door bottoms vs. everything else. That's not what you are looking for.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
"Marble Gray" would be light gray with black dash and steering wheel.

There were several other "Marble" colors, but not necessarily with black steering wheels or dashes. The word "Marble" would usually mean a deviating color dash and wheel vs. carpet. But there was also a concept of "deviating interior", which usually meant darker carpet and door bottoms vs. everything else. That's not what you are looking for.
Dont understand much of that to be honest

Marble Grey is a colour not a scheme. Most marble grey interiors were either over midnight blue or black, maybe thats what you mean? If the OP means a car has all one colour interior except steering wheel, maybe it has been changed?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm surmising here from observations, but I do not think it would be an "option" code that the dealer/customer would choose, but rather a "build" code that the factory had set up for specific color combinations.

Best Regards,

And thanks Pervey for providing the option code service - A class act and wonderful cause...............

Old 06-12-2013, 02:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Dont understand much of that to be honest

Marble Grey is a colour not a scheme. Most marble grey interiors were either over midnight blue or black, maybe thats what you mean? If the OP means a car has all one colour interior except steering wheel, maybe it has been changed?
"Marble" meant exactly what he's looking for - lighter interior with darker dash and steering wheel. Usually black, although some where blue. That's what I've tried to describe above.

My first 993 cab was Aventinine exterior with Marble Gray interior. Very light grey carpet, doors, seat. Black dash and black steering wheel. Here's the discussion on gray color from 2004: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...planation.html Our dicussion was also around whether Rubicon Gray would have black dash and steering wheel, which is unclear to me to this day.

This is a fairly typical Marble Gray:

This is a fairly typical Marble Blue:

Last edited by nile13; 06-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:56 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Yes, 1st pic is Marble grey and black, 2nd pic is marble grey & midnight blue
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

It's my understanding that the base interior, i.e. partial leather, came w/ black dash + wheel. Ordering full leather resulted in a matching wheel. Deviating steering wheel in standard color was option Z06, @ $398.

Nile, I think you're confusing the color w/ color scheme - here's a chart (courtesy classicnineleathershop.com)
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
I'm surmising here from observations, but I do not think it would be an "option" code that the dealer/customer would choose, but rather a "build" code that the factory had set up for specific color combinations.
That's how I understand it as well. The customer could specify some 'standard' combinations of Cashmere, Midnight Blue, Marble Grey with a black dash, steering wheel, door and rear bulkhead caps, upper rear parcel shelf and headliner. For some reason, it seems Classic Grey came standard with everything in Classic Grey ..
Then if a customer wanted they could 'customize' that mix with deviating or matching vinyl or leather in almost any combination they chose for additional money ... black carpet is fairly common for instance. The mixture of 'codes' for all of that were internal to the factory only and the resulting code number printed on the under-hood sticker was a 'collector code' generated just for that build and can only be deciphered at the factory archive.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
It's my understanding that the base interior, i.e. partial leather, came w/ black dash + wheel. Ordering full leather resulted in a matching wheel. Deviating steering wheel in standard color was option Z06, @ $398.

Nile, I think you're confusing the color w/ color scheme - here's a chart (courtesy classicnineleathershop.com)
Hope I don't go OT here but could someone with a good eye, tell me what color looks the itnerior of my car compared with that POrsche leather sample colors?? I'm trying to figure this out for a specific produc that I need to purschase and need to get the color name/code of my leather. I just cleaned the seats and you can see the difference...(recently purchased the car).

Thanks,

Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^ That looks like Classic Grey to me ... which is a fairly common 993 interior color, but isn't on that chart above which spans several early model years. I bet your dash is grey as well, right?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:00 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a 993 color chart from 1997:
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Yes, 1st pic is Marble grey and black, 2nd pic is marble grey & midnight blue
Almost. The seats give away the odd difference. They are light grey in Marble grey car and midnight blue in the other car.

Which, really, goes into a wider issue. The 2-letter interior codes do not accurately represent interior colors of 993s. There are three separate elements - dash/steering, carpet and seats. For coupes the roof color also somehow figures in, I'm not familiar with that. We had several discussion and there appears to be a 3-digit/letter code that completely describes the interior color combination of any 993. That is different than 2-letter code under the hood which cause eternal confusion.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Hope I don't go OT here but could someone with a good eye, tell me what color looks the itnerior of my car compared with that POrsche leather sample colors?? I'm trying to figure this out for a specific produc that I need to purschase and need to get the color name/code of my leather. I just cleaned the seats and you can see the difference...(recently purchased the car).

Thanks,

Looks like Marble grey to me but camera flash can make classic looker lighter!
Old 06-14-2013, 04:06 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Originally Posted by nile13
Almost. The seats give away the odd difference. They are light grey in Marble grey car and midnight blue in the other car.

Which, really, goes into a wider issue. The 2-letter interior codes do not accurately represent interior colors of 993s. There are three separate elements - dash/steering, carpet and seats. For coupes the roof color also somehow figures in, I'm not familiar with that. We had several discussion and there appears to be a 3-digit/letter code that completely describes the interior color combination of any 993. That is different than 2-letter code under the hood which cause eternal confusion.
Its a 993 so its not light grey leather, its Marble grey

The first leather colour sample is confusing the issue as its not Porsche, the 2nd sample card is spot on
Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pervy, I'm talking about the two pics in my message above.

Quick Reply: Trivia inquiry re: steering wheel color