Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tips for adjusting the ride height with Bilstein PSS10?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
oysteinw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Tips for adjusting the ride height with Bilstein PSS10?

Hi,

Last summer I had a PSS10 coilover-kit installed on my 993 C2, but I'm not quite satisfied with the look and ride height. Because of this I would like to lower the car some more, but what is the correct way to do this? Are there any pre-defined, recommended settings to follow or can I just lower the car until I personally find it "right" for me? The PSS10 kit was installed at a authorized Porsche workshop, so I guess if I lower the car exactly the same on all four corners, the result can't be too bad...or? Tips would be highly appreciated! :-)

Regards,
Oystein
Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

If you adjust the ride height you will need to have car aligned...and I would also get it corner balanced. At that point getting your shop to lower the height will be included in the above cost.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe you can goto RS +1 height maybe RS height without needing camber adjustment plates. I just had my shop figure it out during the alignment, once I approximated the height I wanted while I was installing the coilovers.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 PM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can set the ride height pretty much anywhere you like with the PSS9/10s. It is completely possible to set the height to your personal preference. I previously had PSS9s in a 964 and was down to approximate Cup Car ride height and ran it that way without any issues for over 80,000 miles. Currently have the same setup in my 993 and absolutely used the ability to dial in ride height to set it to my personal taste. Its true that if you make adjustments you will need an alignment, corner weighting though I would say is completely optional.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:19 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Question

I have now lowered the car as much as the threads on the front strut allows (+/- 15mm lower than it was before), and now I think the height is 99% perfect. To achieve what I would say is a 100% perfect stance (visually, that is), I could wish for the rear to be maybe 3-4mm lower (the car leans just a little bit forward now, even though I adjusted the springs exactly the same on all four courners). There are maybe 15-20mm more available threads on the rear struts, but this is underneath the drop link support (se illustration photo below). Now, the three adjustment "rings" are all at the bottom position, close to the drop link support (not possible to adjust further down). Is it OK to move the drop link support "arm" further down on the strut to gain more adjustment room?

PS: When the final ride height is set I will have a certified workshop doing a wheel alignment (and maybe check the corner balancing?) on the car, so all the angles etc. are as correct as possible.

PSS: Will there be problems with bumpsteer or other geometry-related issues when running the Bilsteins as low as this?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Factory height specs

measured here

The lock ring and mount can be lowered, i'd suggest a double lock on the mount(top & bottom), like this. The limit on lowering the back is contact between the sway bar and the horizontal suspension arm. Street cars run the sway above the suspension, lowered cars like RS run below w/ different drop links. You'll have to decide, you may need different drop links. Or you can leave it as is. But to lower the rear more the lower spring perch and it's lock ring need to come down.

The limit on lowering in front is bump steer, oe it was felt that RS wheel carriers were needed at RS height
Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 PM
oysteinw
Advanced

Thanks alot for your helpful information, Bill.

I will try to make an accurate height measurement on my car and check where it ends up in your height specs diagram. I think I also will try to move the drop link support arm a bit down and maybe get a couple of more rings for locking it down afterwards. I guess the whole strut has to come out of the car for this operation?

At the same time I will check the distance between the lower supsension arm and the sway bar. BTW; is it OK to put the sway bar below the suspension arm if I get some different drop links?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

You need to determine what height you will going with...if RS then the rear sway bar should be below the suspension...you will need RS drop links or similar...in the front you will want to add the RS wheel carrier plus RS (or similar) drop links and tie rods otherwise you will have a LOT of bump steer. I would say if you are RS +10 height then the above may not apply.

Quick Reply: Tips for adjusting the ride height with Bilstein PSS10?