Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI - Everything on car was great, except..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Now here's the situation I'm in. The mechanic is going to want me to pay for a compression test for the seller to get his car. NO F'ING WAY I'm paying for anything more than 2 hours.

They should have called me after the found the leak and BEFORE they went any further on the test. Thoughts?
you pay for the agreed scope of work and the agreed price.
did you tell them to STOP at a certain point if they found an issue?

Craig
Old 05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, IMHO, pay the PPI cost including the compression. $80/hr is cheap BTW.

A 'major" leak may be one's perspective and if you had asked for a compression/leakdown test then I would have expected them to do it. I have paid for a PPI and then walked away from the car knowing it was $400 well spent.

The wrench was probably looking at dropping the engine to address the leak(s). Keep in mind these cars are over 15 years old so gasket so dry out. shrink or crack and as others have said, some seepage is "normal". It just becomes a "while you are in there" repair. There are just so many places a 993 engine can bleed oil that you have to decide if you like the car enough to deal with it. My 95 bleeds oil and the repair is replacing the lower valve cover gaskets and while I am there I would probably do the uppers, timing covers, oil return tubes, SAI valve, etc. I generally budget about $4k to put lots of new pieces on a new to me car so I have a 0 mile baseline on service parts Iplugs, plug wires, dizzy cap & rotors, belts, fluids, brake pads and rotors, but that is just me. Are you looking for a shop in StL?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 AM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are questioning the veracity and skill of the PPI mechanic,you may want to reconsider the "Everything Great..." conclusion of his PPI.
Sounds like you have a unusually stand up seller, which does help.
Have you thought to call the mechanic that maintained the car for the current owner?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Took it to a Porsche (dealer) mechanic that maintained the car for the seller, they verified it was a leak but just seeping in 3 spots, didn't have to be fixed right away. He said it could cost upwards of $4000 to fix. He let me know the car was in outstanding condition otherwise.

So after INTENSE negotiations with the seller, he finally agreed and knocked $4k off the final price of the car. Money is sent, shipping set up and deal is done!!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Took it to a Porsche (dealer) mechanic that maintained the car for the seller, they verified it was a leak but just seeping in 3 spots, didn't have to be fixed right away. He said it could cost upwards of $4000 to fix. He let me know the car was in outstanding condition otherwise.
So, they confirmed the diagnosis & approx cost of the 1st shop...

Sounds like you owe the guys @ Scott's an apology.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by ToSi
So, they confirmed the diagnosis & approx cost of the 1st shop...

Sounds like you owe the guys @ Scott's an apology.

I was pissed cuz they found the leak right away. When they did they should have STOPPED and called to inform me. Instead they continued with the leak down and compression. I didn't find out about the oil leak 'till I called them later in the day... I was pissed and let em know it and told them I was only paying for 2 hours of labor.

Another thing. The P dealer mech told me it wasn't a leak, just a light seepage that may not have to be fixed for a while. Thoughts on that?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,447 Likes on 837 Posts

1. I was pissed cuz they found the leak right away. When they did they should have STOPPED and called to inform me. Instead they continued with the leak down and compression. I didn't find out about the oil leak 'till I called them later in the day... I was pissed and let em know it and told them I was only paying for 2 hours of labor.

2. Another thing. The P dealer mech told me it wasn't a leak, just a light seepage that may not have to be fixed for a while. Thoughts on that?
statement number 2 is the reason for statement number 1.

Any shop familiar with air cooled 911s knows that a slight oil leak is to be expected and would not be a major deal breaker for a knowledgeable buyer.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Any shop familiar with air cooled 911s knows that a slight oil leak is to be expected and would not be a major deal breaker for a knowledgeable buyer.
Which is why the first shop could have said it's a light leak and pretty common.

Us 993 owners know most leak a little (except mine ) but not everyone wanting a car ppi'd is a knowledgeable buyer.
Understandably the op panicked.

Congrats on the purchase. Now for a decent set of wheels.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats OP on your new 993.

I buy cars online, you just have to do it right. Don't put a deposit down yet until you get a PPI, arrange a PPI with a Porsche dealer, have the owner drive it down to get the PPI. Called up the mechanic to talk about the car, have him send an email or fax you the results. If results are positive, place deposit, have a written agreement that deposit is 100% refundable if you don't like it when you see it in person. I find most dealer and private seller don't have a problem with this unless they have something to hide. Book ticket, fly out, see it in person, drive it and feel it.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,447 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Rialas
Which is why the first shop could have said it's a light leak and pretty common.

Us 993 owners know most leak a little (except mine ) but not everyone wanting a car ppi'd is a knowledgeable buyer.
Understandably the op panicked.

Congrats on the purchase. Now for a decent set of wheels.
My point is that the PPI shop knew it was nothing major so it continued the PPI. I would imagine the agreement was that comp./leakdown is only done if nothing else major is found.

With respect to discussions after the fact, owners and shops might have different ideas of what a weep is, so to cover their ***, he probably called it a leak and described a full boat repair price.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
My point is that the PPI shop knew it was nothing major so it continued the PPI. I would imagine the agreement was that comp./leakdown is only done if nothing else major is found.

With respect to discussions after the fact, owners and shops might have different ideas of what a weep is, so to cover their ***, he probably called it a leak and described a full boat repair price.
If it was a minor oil leak, and they had said that it shouldn't affect my decision on buying, I wouldn't have been so mad; however, that is NOT what they said.

Either way, it got me almost $4k off the price so I'm good.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

hey...aren't u the guy that bought the underwater pcar a few years back?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
hey...aren't u the guy that bought the underwater pcar a few years back?
Yup....
Old 05-16-2013, 05:31 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Yup....

cool, I remember that long thread well, follwed it daily..lol...anyways welcome to the 993 forum and congrats on the car .
Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
cool, I remember that long thread well, follwed it daily..lol...anyways welcome to the 993 forum and congrats on the car .
Thanks. Will get the car Thur or Fri of next week. Giddy with anticipation!!

Quick Reply: PPI - Everything on car was great, except..