Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI - Everything on car was great, except..

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Oh, I never planned on not paying for the $160. It's just they're gonna expect more so I'm not giving my cc. So ya, let him take it out of my $2k deposit
Wait...who has the $2k deposit?

Also after looking at the PPI shops WEB site I highly doubt they have any ideal what is going on with a 993. How did you find the shop?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Wait...who has the $2k deposit?

Also after looking at the PPI shops WEB site I highly doubt they have any ideal what is going on with a 993. How did you find the shop?
PayPal from eBay. Searched for Porsche mechanics in Greeley Co
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 PM
rspon1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I strongly suspect that your PPI "mechanic" is looking for work and would be ready to fix that "leak" for you.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

$4,000 to fix an oil leak?? Wow. More details are needed, but that sounds like one hell of an oil leak.

Does the mechanic have a kid in college?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:05 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

PayPal from eBay. Searched for Porsche mechanics in Greeley Co
Well this is a bit more complicated.

Did you buy the car through an EBAY auction or was on it on EBAY and then you bought it out of the auction process?

Were there terms in writing around the deposit?

How did you fund the deposit-bank or CC?

And I think you may have a PPI from a mechanic who has limited of Porsches.

Have you talked to the seller about the PPI results? Maybe he is wiling to give you credit for a repair down the road (I would HIGHLY suggest you do not use the shop that did the PPI).
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Trouble is, the "oil leak" could just be from someone over-filling it at last oil change or checking the level improperly, then "topping it off" with a quart or two. It happens all the time. Can you get a second opinion or are you confident with the shop doing the PPI. Anyone nearby who could stop by and do a "RENNFAX" for you?
I'm a little late to this post as I think you may be past this point in time, but as far as the oil leak, most 993's leak some oil with the age they are now. You really need to determine the extent of the oil leak. I agree with NC TRACKRAT, it could be as simple as an overfill. If you think that's odd, wait until you need to add oil and see how easy it is to do. I've done it more than once and oil ends up all over.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:29 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Counterpoint:

The op bought a car on ebay, unseen presumably.
The op picked a shop for ppi, sight unseen, via google search.

Was the shop instructed to stop immediately if repair exceeding a given cost was identified? If not, can't fault the shop for completing ppi, inc compression test & moving on.

Douche move to stick the seller with the bill - he'd be justified to withhold whatever the shop claims is unpaid from your deposit to get his car back.

Put on your big boy pants, pay the shop (sounds like they saved you a significant surprise) & consider it a lesson for next time..
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

These guys are major shysters; anyhow after going off on the mechanic I got him to drop it to 2 hours of labor and that's it and that the owner would pay when he picks it up.

Talked to the owner, cuold not have been more stand-up about it. He said how sorry he was and gave the option of getting my deposit back or, fixing it no matter the cost and making it right.

I chose the latter option.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM
For202fly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been following this story and now I'm lost. Are you walking or fixing? And, what kind of Pcar mechanic can't identify where an oil leak is comming from?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Arrogant, are you sure you'll be happy with a 993 for long? I'd look for another car, newer. Possibly a 997 or a nice Cayman. I'm dead serious about this.

993s are old, archaic, they leak, they require fairly specific and expensive maintenance and repairs.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by nile13
Arrogant, are you sure you'll be happy with a 993 for long? I'd look for another car, newer. Possibly a 997 or a nice Cayman. I'm dead serious about this.

993s are old, archaic, they leak, they require fairly specific and expensive maintenance and repairs.
Oh it's cool, I'm never happy with ANY car for long... Anyway, I'm REALLY looking forward to a 993. (I'm just coming out of a MINT Cayman S only 9k miles)

Best part is if i get it at the right price in good condition, I minimize any loss when I'm ready to move on. Besides, I'll only drive it about 1k miles a year.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by For202fly
Been following this story and now I'm lost. Are you walking or fixing? And, what kind of Pcar mechanic can't identify where an oil leak is comming from?
Sticking with it. Owner sounds on the up and up. If he's willing to make it right at any cost, I'm patient..
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 402 Posts

Sticking with it. Owner sounds on the up and up. If he's willing to make it right at any cost, I'm patient..
I wouldn't have the shop that did the PPI do the repairs. Get a shop recommendation from some rennlisters and get it fixed right.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by pirahna
I wouldn't have the shop that did the PPI do the repairs. Get a shop recommendation from some rennlisters and get it fixed right.
Oh for sure. I ended up practically screaming at the dude. I'd NEVER use them. I'm going to let the seller take it his mechanic first, see what they say and go from there.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The shop that did my PPI found 3 exact places where the oil was sipping through (not leaking), which they said is normal with a car of this age and there is nothing to fix at this point. They never told me about it until full PPI was done including the leakdown and compression tests. In my case they made me pay for it before revealing the results. The seller (dealer) only drove the car there and back.

The seller is a bit of idiot as you he should have made you arrange and pay for the PPI. But since he got the results of PPI, technically it's his and he should pay for at least some of it anyways, as he can use it to show to other potential buyers. If there is a "major" oil leak, then the seller should have known and told you about it so I would not feel too bad about the seller. But if you picked a crappy shop for PPI it's not seller's fault. His job was just to take car to wherever you told him to.

I don't how people just buy cars on the internet like this. I have to see and drive it before I can make any sort of decision on it.

Quick Reply: PPI - Everything on car was great, except..