Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations regarding a half-/roll-cage in a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks stronger and has perfect mount for 6pt harness.
For some. For some, the Pole Positions + DAS is actually a little off, as if you have a long torso you can be a bit high in the PP for where the belt passes through. I'm still TBD until later this week when I install the DAS for the first time with the PP (I've used Toplines until now).
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
If you aren't going to remove it, I'd go with the Autopower/Safety Devices, DAS, Heigo in that order, personally.
Curious as to why Autopower is first. I don't think they're on the same level as SD; Autopower would be my last choice.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
Alternatively you can mount a separate harness bar (cant recall who makes it but a well known supplier) which fits in perfectly with the Heigo roll hoop. Picture below. The advantage of this set up is you can remove the hardware leaving just the Heigo hoop in place if you ever need access to rear for touring or carting stuff...
This is exactly what I was thinking about, I just have to figure out if I would go for the x-brace or not. Though, I guess if safety is first priority, a x-brace would be the definitive choice.

Regards,
Oystein
Old 05-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

Oystein
i would definitely go for the crossbar; beside the additional strength, it's also easier to 'adjust'* the position of the rollbar. The optional harness bar should also be a must. I have one but in the picture not the new harness installed yet.
in regard to bill's comment 'the bigger the bar the better' yes, but similar to i.e. Germany, this is the only type of bar which would be accepted at registration check up (in the UAE).

*The first picture in#28 shows exactly my setup (unfortunatelly i didn't get the cross bar), except that its for an RHD car. if you give pressure on the diagonal bar, the main setup will move to the right car side, therefore, with a crossbar, you can fix the position better.

Re: second oil cooler
i'm running standard setup, w/o the heater blower, w/o AC; believe it or not despite temperatures above 45 deg Celsius i had never overheating problems even when pushing the limit for more than an hour. **

Holger

** Edit+clarification: I have real overheating problems... but the car is fine ...

Last edited by Holger3.2; 05-07-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

So, if I go for Heigo, this is probably what I need:

Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Holger. Thanks for that. What harness bar did you get? The Heigo one or a separate piece?

Oystein. That is what you need but remember 516.043 is for a non sunroof car. 516.042 is for a sunroof car.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Oystein. That is what you need but remember 516.043 is for a non sunroof car. 516.042 is for a sunroof car.
No sunroof on this one.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oysteinw
No sunroof on this one.
OK. You have the right one. And more room for you helmet too!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

OK. You have the right one. And more room for you helmet too!
Yup, I guess that'll come in handy with my 187cm.

BTW; my Recaros haven't yet arrived from Design 911 UK, so I'm a little curious about how easy this fitment/installation will be. They are Pole Positions and I have ordered Recaro alloy side mounts and slide rails as well. Does anyone know if I will need some sort of adapters or similar to make this fit?

Regards,
Oystein
Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Holger3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

Macca, i got the original heico harness bar. it has to be ordered in the original order for the whole setup coz otherwise some needed welded brackets would not be there. the bar itself is then screwed to the main bar. detachment is impossible without removing the complete setup from the car!!
However, heico has also a 'stand alone' harness bar which might be a second solution as you would maintain the chance to remove the 'inner parts (cross or diagonal bar). However, due to the main connectors, sitting in the bag is under normal circumstances impossible.

Oystein, Recaros fit normally perfect, no additional mounting needed...
Not like my cobra seat (cheap but light **** from Britain) fits like the hood on the e-type ...

btw. even you want to order through another company, fvd, as linked earlier, has a full description on any part in English on their website!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Holger. Much appreciated...
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 AM
nurburgsingh
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In over 20 years of attending trackdays Ive never seen a car end up on its roof. Granted I know that it can happen and have seen youtube footage of it happen but you're more likely to take a side impact than a roof impact.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by nurburgsingh
In over 20 years of attending trackdays Ive never seen a car end up on its roof. Granted I know that it can happen and have seen youtube footage of it happen but you're more likely to take a side impact than a roof impact.
I've seen about half a dozen rollovers, IIRC, in the past ten years. A few of them were 911's without any rollover protection; I was impressed with the integrity of the occupant space but that could have been due to the unique forces of that particular accident.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Originally Posted by nurburgsingh
Well, during my 15 +/- years of attending trackdays I have seen maybe 6-7 rollovers, luckily none fatal...but still. I think it's good to take some safety precautions when driving your car on (and some times beyond), your (and the car's) limits. A heavy rollover when stuck to the seat in 4- or 6-point harnesses can't be good. If I was to choose between a broken neck or a 1300$ roll-cage, I'm pretty sure what I would select.

Regards,
Oystein
Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM
nurburgsingh
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was suggesting that if you're going down that route that a full cage is what you should be considering...

Quick Reply: Recommendations regarding a half-/roll-cage in a 993?