Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Recommendations regarding a half-/roll-cage in a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:58 AM
oysteinw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Recommendations regarding a half-/roll-cage in a 993?

Hi,

As I am gradually optimizing my car for use on trackdays, I have begun thinking of my own safety in case something really bad would happen. At the same time I am considering combining 4 point seat belts with my Recaro Pole Positions, and then I also would need a good place to fasten those belts behind the seats. I am thinking that a half-cage could be a smart investment, in terms of safety as well as technical practicality. To prevent too much modifications and damages to the interior, I am considering a bolt-in roll cage as Heigo or similar.

Does anyone have opinions and recommendations regarding this matter?

Regards,
Oystein W.
993 C2
Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe pca rules prohibit 4 pt belts, i would check though to be sure.

I just installed an Autopower roll bar. It is a bolt in style, floor pan and wheel well. There are many options including simple bolt ins that mount to factory seat belt locations. Many thoughts on each type of bar. I recently posted a similar question so try searching for posts under my name and look for a related post.

Saftey is always a good thing!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PCA or not, forget 4-point belts and get 6-point (or 5) instead.

I used to have Heigo roll bar (now have cage) and it's a good cage, easy to install and fits well. I'd recommend their stuff.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

I used to have Heigo roll bar (now have cage) and it's a good cage, easy to install and fits well. I'd recommend their stuff.
Where did you find Heigo in USA?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
No kidding. Even with a 5-point, go search for the video (internet, or over on the Racing Forum no doubt) about how you can be separated from your "man parts"........... I'll warn anyone going to look, and why I'm not providing a link myself here, is that one of them is extremely graphic and gruesome.

Factory 3-points + stock seats, or properly installed 6-point + shell seat + roll hoop (whether as part of a full cage or just a bar, preferably welded to door sills and never to a floor pan) ONLY for me. We've learned a lot over the years. Don't revisit 1990 with the safety equipment.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Where did you find Heigo in USA?
I bought it used but FVD at least used to sell Heigo, don't know if they still do.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
No kidding. Even with a 5-point, go search for the video (internet, or over on the Racing Forum no doubt) about how you can be separated from your "man parts"........... I'll warn anyone going to look, and why I'm not providing a link myself here, is that one of them is extremely graphic and gruesome.

Factory 3-points + stock seats, or properly installed 6-point + shell seat + roll hoop (whether as part of a full cage or just a bar, preferably welded to door sills and never to a floor pan) ONLY for me. We've learned a lot over the years. Don't revisit 1990 with the safety equipment.
Not sure I want to watch the video but is the gist that a 5 point can cause serious harm to "man parts"? In other words, is a 6 point much more recommended?

For the OP, my car came with a DAS rollbar, bolt in. Seems to work just fine but I hope I never really test it.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:42 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mister C
Not sure I want to watch the video but is the gist that a 5 point can cause serious harm to "man parts"? In other words, is a 6 point much more recommended?
Today, sure. No reason not to. (Haven't heard anything much back on 7-points in non-formula/sports racers, but they're out there.)

What you want to look up is a medical term similar to "delamination". (Is there a doctor/medical professional in the house???) It's been a couple of years since the one graphic video made the rounds.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jhg41977
I believe pca rules prohibit 4 pt belts, i would check though to be sure.

I just installed an Autopower roll bar. It is a bolt in style, floor pan and wheel well. There are many options including simple bolt ins that mount to factory seat belt locations. Many thoughts on each type of bar. I recently posted a similar question so try searching for posts under my name and look for a related post.

Saftey is always a good thing!
LOL, not likely that the OP knows / cares about PCA since he lives in Oslo.

Autopower is good if you don't mind drilling into the floor pan.
Several locals use them effectively.

DAS / Heigo style are adequate, bit nowhere nearly as effective as autopower or fabricated cage in distributing forces during a "big one".

good luck and be safe

and
definitely use 5 or 6 point, not 4 point.

cheers
Old 05-03-2013, 05:01 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgfen
Autopower is good if you don't mind drilling into the floor pan.
Several locals use them effectively.
964/993, or torsion bar cars? Seen punched through floors with at least two Autopower equipped wrecks on torsion bar cars. One of them my installs. Grr. In fairness, I doubt either car would have been better off with anything but a properly designed cage. Of which we were in short supply up until maybe 10 years ago............
The following users liked this post:
CarFan911 (04-11-2021)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have just ordered my 993 bolt in cage with addition cross brace from Gert at Carnewal. Very reasonably priced and these cages are bolt in with no damage to factory interior and are factory and period correct. IMHO the best solution all up. Be aware that Heigo hand fabricate these to order and the wait is at least 6 weeks (still waiting for mine 6 weeks on!)....
Attached Images     
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I have just ordered my 993 bolt in cage with addition cross brace from Gert at Carnewal. Very reasonably priced and these cages are bolt in with no damage to factory interior and are factory and period correct. IMHO the best solution all up. Be aware that Heigo hand fabricate these to order and the wait is at least 6 weeks (still waiting for mine 6 weeks on!)....
I looked at the Heigo website and didn't see single hoop units. What is their part number?

Also, in one eliminated the factory belts, it would be tempting to install an additional bolt point at the existing shoulder belt bolt on the B pillar.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

^^^^^ Really lovin' that last photo, and the harness attachment point.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Concur on the 4 point. Especially because if you have Pole Positions, you are ready for a 6 pt. Brey Krause has an under seat anti-sub mount that makes the whole thing pretty easy.

For non-full cage, you have a few options (I may be missing a couple):

Not a rollbar, but a harness bar at least provides correct harness mounting, but no rollover protection.

DAS -- Bolt in, but does require removal and reinstallation of interior trim pieces. Relatively easy, especially if you aren't going to take it in and out, but a PITA if you are switching often.

Heigo -- Bolt in, but many here aren't a fan due to all the bends in the metal, relatively lightweight mounting points, and the many bolts (weaker than a solid bar, of course). Looks a lot easier to install than the DAS though.

Autopower or Safety Devices -- Sort of bolt in, but requires some plates to be welded in, and some carpet to be cutaway. Folks like me who also street their car aren't so down with this solution, but they are probably more solid.

Weld in -- Most strong, but obviously doesn't really come back out.

I have a DAS, but I am admittedly considering a Heigo. If i do, I'll do their steel version, and I'll get it with the cross member (or have one made) for proper harness mount location for the shoulders. I only DE, not race. I would go welded for race, or at least not Heigo.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They make the center roll hoop with the diagonal bar for the belts. Not sure of the part number. I found their site hopeless and went straight to Gert for translation...mots would put fastening for belts on the back fire wall or down in the back passenger foot well just behind the front seats at Colin does at 9M in UK...
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Recommendations regarding a half-/roll-cage in a 993?