trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well done Peter!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 04:38 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats Peter. Followed this thread from day 1 and glad to hear you are finally enjoying putting some miles on the clock!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Porsche
Congrats Peter. Wow, what an incredible journey. You deserve to drive that beast like a bat out of hell. Take if for long weekend trip and just enjoy the ride.
Ken
Thanks, I will!
Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Congrats Peter. Followed this thread from day 1 and glad to hear you are finally enjoying putting some miles on the clock!
Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trophy
Well done Peter!!!!!!
Thanks

BTW, you have one hell of a bad-*** car!
Old 06-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Congratulations!

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
GOOD NEWS!

A near miracle has occurred.

I replaced the flywheel sensor and the car ran perfectly for 30 minutes. NO CRAPPING OUT! At the 30 minute mark I turned it off and restarted. VRRRM! It started right up.

Of course I will have to repeat this tomorrow to be certain I have overcome this hurdle.

Thank you Porsche gods for shining on me today!

Special thanks to fellow lister knorrena for pushing me in this direction! But all of you that helped along the way I truly THANK YOU!
Very good advice here below. These things just have a lot of parts and steps. You need to be thinking two steps ahead-that, taking your time, making sure it is all clean-are the big keys I experienced.

Originally Posted by Mike J
I think the key is a lot of prep, research and to be very meticulous, going step by step. The Pelican engine rebuilding forum is especially helpful, lots more technical knowledge specific to engines than on this forum, and you can get lots of help (and opinions of course..)

If you have done other engines, a 993 is well within your capability, and in fact you can do it twice for what a engine rebuilder would charge, given your labour is free. Its 30-40hrs min for a complete teardown and rebuild, with splitting the case, and then there is the cost of machining, new parts, gaskets, etc.

Unless something really major has happened to your engine, the bottom end of the 993 (possibility excluding a slightly weaker rod bolts) will last a long long time, so most rebuilds revolve around valve jobs and sometimes replacing the rings. I split the case on my rebuild just because I was there, but I found everything was in spec and it was not required. There was a bit of wear on the layshaft bearings (typical) but nothing that would not have gone for another 100,000 miles.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Thanks Ed. Yes Mike J was definitely on the money there and in many of his helpful posts (you too!).

Quick Reply: Strange Sound Rebuild Rebound Thread