Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasti-Dip as temporary paint protection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plasti-Dip as temporary paint protection?

I just bought a 2010 VW CC as a DD, and jumped on VW Vortex to see what tips and tricks might be out there.... One thing that is happening is that a lot of these guys are using "Plasti-Dip" to black out grills and stuff. No plans on doing that myself, but I am wondering:

Would this stuff be useful on our cars as a front end paint protector for track days and/or longer trips, etc.? I often see people using body tape to do it, but maybe this would be a neater solution? They say it peels off (maybe like rubber cement?) when you don't want it any more.... these guys even just overspray on purpose along the edges when they apply it and then run a little exacto along the seams to get a neat line and peel off the overspray...

I am thinking that hitting frunk lid, bumper cover, maybe the mirrors on a 993 (etc.) would offer good protection against stone chips, and then peel off when done with DE or whatever....

Has any one ever played with this stuff?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Did my winter wheels in the stuff - very durable, I had very little damage with those wheels on the car for 3-4 months. The texture is not smooth, its slightly rough, so it does catch dirt. When I took the winter wheels off the car a few weeks ago, I washed them inside and out -> the insides had 3 months of road crap on it, most of it came off, with some slight staining. I am going to recoat them anyways (used the gun-metal, too blue for me, going flat black for next year). By "recoat" I mean I will spray right on top of the old stuff.

If you use it, it does come out quite chunky and mottled, but it will self level. Be carefully to make sure your final coverage is thick - the thicker the better the peeling apparently.

I have not had a chance to peel if away, the coverage on the wheels is what I wanted, and no reason to take it off, its not coming off by itself.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Did my winter wheels in the stuff - very durable, I had very little damage with those wheels on the car for 3-4 months. The texture is not smooth, its slightly rough, so it does catch dirt. When I took the winter wheels off the car a few weeks ago, I washed them inside and out -> the insides had 3 months of road crap on it, most of it came off, with some slight staining. I am going to recoat them anyways (used the gun-metal, too blue for me, going flat black for next year). By "recoat" I mean I will spray right on top of the old stuff.

If you use it, it does come out quite chunky and mottled, but it will self level. Be carefully to make sure your final coverage is thick - the thicker the better the peeling apparently.

I have not had a chance to peel if away, the coverage on the wheels is what I wanted, and no reason to take it off, its not coming off by itself.

Cheers,

Mike
OK, thanks.... good info on that.... I am really interested on how easy and completely it comes off.... that would be the real selling point to see if it could be used to protect the front end....
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM
hapkido2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my co workers is doing this. He is in the process of starting a business up. He has already sprayed a few cars (entire cars) they turned out great. When sprayed correctly it turns out nice and smooth. He is going to spray my 993 so we can play around with color options. It does peel off quite easily as long as it is sprayed on correctly. If sprayed to thin it can be a royal PITA to get off. I'll try and get some pictures from him and post some of the cars and trucks he has done.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

ALSA now sells most of their metallic, matte and special fx paints in a spray-able/brush-able/dip-able/plastidip style form. I think they have an agreement for homedepot to shortly start carrying their products too.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would tread very carefully here. You are applying a chemical product that could have unwanted side effects, such as staining, might peel off a re-painted area. That sort of fun stuff.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hapkido2
One of my co workers is doing this. He is in the process of starting a business up. He has already sprayed a few cars (entire cars) they turned out great. When sprayed correctly it turns out nice and smooth. He is going to spray my 993 so we can play around with color options. It does peel off quite easily as long as it is sprayed on correctly. If sprayed to thin it can be a royal PITA to get off. I'll try and get some pictures from him and post some of the cars and trucks he has done.
Interesting, how smooth? The surface I was getting was a bit textured - not smooth like car paint though.

I supposed if its sprayed too thin to peel, you can always spray hit again to build up the thickness and then peel - bit of a pain though.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
I would tread very carefully here. You are applying a chemical product that could have unwanted side effects, such as staining, might peel off a re-painted area. That sort of fun stuff.
Yes, that is a concern...

I just don't understand how, with all of the really awesome leaps forward in various materials/materials technology we have had over the last 25+/- years, we haven't gotten anything that will improve the durability and hardness of automotive paint.... something with ceramic or hard polymer or some other "space age" stuff that will prevent, or at least severely reduce, paint chips.... especially on the front of our cars... so damned frustrating to have new paint (like I had two years ago - front only) and get three damned chips (one of them large) the FIRST TIME I drove for any distance after the paint...

Yes, I know... if you don't want paint chips, don't drive the car..... not going to be THAT fussy about it... but come on science dudes.... make us some super hard space paint dammit!!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Good topic. Is there a temporary spray or applied product that you can use for a long road trip and then remove? Something to give the front end of the car some protection from road rash?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Dan V
Race Car

been thinking about sprayin my turbo twists black with plasti-dip.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM
jan the man
Rennlist Member

Got tired of trying to fill all of the rock chips on the nose of my car, and it wasnt time for a repaint.....so plasti dip to the rescue. Did the front nose flat black on a black car. it looks pretty good, like a flat black bra. Super easy to use. Did it last year still looks good have not yet tried to peel it off.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Not mine, just somewhat relevant to your interests.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/16-...y-porsche.html

I've plastidipped a few things. The heavier you lay the stuff on, the easier it is to peel off. If it's sprayed too thinly, it has a speckled/rough texture.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by doberdog
Good topic. Is there a temporary spray or applied product that you can use for a long road trip and then remove? Something to give the front end of the car some protection from road rash?
Yep, this plastidip comes in clear, so that might be your best bet.

Originally Posted by Dan V
been thinking about sprayin my turbo twists black with plasti-dip.
RLer Niche has been riding on black wheels done with PlastiDip for a couple of months now on his 964. Here's a prior thread talking about PlastiDip, wheel pics on 2nd page from ilko:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-tried-it.html

Originally Posted by aarrow
I've plastidipped a few things. The heavier you lay the stuff on, the easier it is to peel off. If it's sprayed too thinly, it has a speckled/rough texture.
Yep...unlike paint, you kinda want to go heavy. Its thick so it needs more volume to flow into the "holes" in coverage. Pictures of the "speckle" in the thread linked above on 2nd page on some center caps I did.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Aldestein993
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jan the man
Got tired of trying to fill all of the rock chips on the nose of my car, and it wasnt time for a repaint.....so plasti dip to the rescue. Did the front nose flat black on a black car. it looks pretty good, like a flat black bra. Super easy to use. Did it last year still looks good have not yet tried to peel it off.
Jan, could you take a photo so we can see what it looks like?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I too have plasti-dipped wheels and such. I tried it on my rearview mirrors for a DE and it worked fine. I'm hesitant to use it on the bumper cover and hood though. As others have said, if it's too thin, it's a pain to remove. All those nooks and crannies would be a nightmare.
What I do use for DE is carpet protection film from home depot. You get it in the paint department. It comes in a 24" wide roll. I roll it over the front of the car, then use a knife to cut holes in the openings. It peels off easily after the weekend is over, and releases with no residue. My bumper cover has been repainted, and I've had no problems with the paint from this.

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip as temporary paint protection?