993 Forum 1995-1998

Ultimate Street Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultimate Street Engine

OK....Time for a little fun. I have just about completed my 97 restoration,and I have an extra engine sitting in the garage. I have been thinking what to do with it,and decided that maybe another engine build would be fun. The engine is the original one from my 97 C4S,and it has 175,000 miles on it. I am planning on stripping it down,splitting the case,and having everything cleaned up and ready for a fresh build. It would make a great fall/winter project,and give me time to aquire parts. I like the RS cams and intake valves,but curious what the next step up would be. This will be strictly street,and hopefully run off a reflashed 97 ECU. I was thinking maybe find a nice used set of 3.8 pistons,and do that with RS cams and valves. Nothing exotic,but a nice boost
What are some thoughts here?

Thanks,
Emerald
Old 04-05-2013, 12:00 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like what you're talking about is what Steve built for Kim on the yellow car. ~320HP when it's all said-and-done. Worth it? Hell yes, if someone else paid the freight. Your bank account? Not so much.

Personally, I'd look to a forced induction solution. NOT cheap to do it correctly. (Or else just accept your limitations, and if something goes "boom" don't get irritated.) This is what I'm strongly thinking about with the yellow car now, as my latest "let's see what parts from what chassis I have laying around fit what other chassis I have laying around" has me leaning toward the 3.8 going in the '73 faux RS. Then, one of the 3.6s can get some boost.

And then there's regearing.........

(If you go the 3.8 route, don't get the slip fit kit.)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

A project to my liking. I have been thinking about something like this for years but keep getting distracted by other things.
Definately the 3.8 kit, not the slip in type like race911 suggested, RS cams, valves, head porting job or if the budget allows, 9m heads with all the goodies that attach to it. Don't forget reinforced rods. LWF and, again, depending on the budget, slider throttle bodies with K&N filter bodies on top.
Do you have to smog it? Then that option might not be so good.
Good luck with it.
Ed
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a fun project, I know I for one would be interested in seeing someone tear down a flat6 engine on the forum. I do hope you post pics of the build
Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I say all or nothing. Don't spend $20K for 300hp when you can spend more and get 400. Now, how much are those 9M heads...??
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM
01coccobet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go in the 9m way!

Don't know the price

Hope that pic's will follow!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems everyone likes the 3.8 route. Thanks for the input Ken,and yes,I would do the bore in and not slip fit.
I have a regeared transmission,and the 3.6 with RS cams and intakes is nice. This led me to think about the 3.8 route. Maybe another 3.6 RS would be the route,with fresh everything.
I am not trying to break the bank,but plan on doing it right,whichever route I go.
Seems there was a picture of a higher HP engine Steve W built. It had a manifold with a center air filter,not a typical variorum. Maybe I can find that post.

There will definitely be pictures when the project takes off.

Thanks for coming along on the ride
Old 04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

9M heads, cams, 3.82 pistons and cylinders are about $15K in parts. 360hp, tons of torque. Vastly better deal than the factory RS stuff.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Always told myself if I had to rebuild, I'd go 9M...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
OK....Time for a little fun. I have just about completed my 97 restoration,and I have an extra engine sitting in the garage. I have been thinking what to do with it,and decided that maybe another engine build would be fun. The engine is the original one from my 97 C4S,and it has 175,000 miles on it. I am planning on stripping it down,splitting the case,and having everything cleaned up and ready for a fresh build. It would make a great fall/winter project,and give me time to aquire parts. I like the RS cams and intake valves,but curious what the next step up would be. This will be strictly street,and hopefully run off a reflashed 97 ECU. I was thinking maybe find a nice used set of 3.8 pistons,and do that with RS cams and valves. Nothing exotic,but a nice boost
What are some thoughts here?

Thanks,
Emerald
1st decide what engine management you will use, that determines everything else

for street use torque is king, it's hard to beat displacement + vram in that arena.

w/ a reflashed Motronic, 102mm RSR p/c's, RS cams & vram is a nice package especially w/ regeared trans

If you spend a lot more money then you move into a different realm, w/ Motec or similar you can build a much more powerful motor, but you have to extend the rev range to do it. These motors are certainly streetable but are much happier on a track.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:22 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
9M heads, cams, 3.82 pistons and cylinders are about $15K in parts. 360hp, tons of torque. Vastly better deal than the factory RS stuff.
Not even close, the performance parts alone are closer to $20k, then you have to add in machine work, seals and gaskets, chains, ramps, etc etc etc.

Then of course you need an aftermarket ECU to get all the benefit of the uprgades factor in $5k for a Motec plus another $2k for tuning. Now we are talking real money.

How do I know?, I am rebuilding my engine at the moment, not with 9M parts but other options and will be somewhere between $16k and $18k in parts and machining costs.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Not even close, the performance parts alone are closer to $20k, then you have to add in machine work, seals and gaskets, chains, ramps, etc etc etc.

Then of course you need an aftermarket ECU to get all the benefit of the uprgades factor in $5k for a Motec plus another $2k for tuning. Now we are talking real money.

How do I know?, I am rebuilding my engine at the moment, not with 9M parts but other options and will be somewhere between $16k and $18k in parts and machining costs.
Surprised it's that low. Did I mention how happy I am in getting my engine on someone else's dime?

Is here where I should mention fabbing up a great radiator set up in the front, and installing a V-8? Nah.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:30 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Surprised it's that low. Did I mention how happy I am in getting my engine on someone else's dime?

Is here where I should mention fabbing up a great radiator set up in the front, and installing a V-8? Nah.
All said and done a 9M Based engine will run about $30 to $35k min to have someone build it for you including an ECU system. The parts add up quickly...
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 373 Posts

Every time i've priced a 360-400 hp 993 engine it comes in nearer to $50k when all is said and done.

You need to start at the crank and work out
Old 04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lopro
sounds like a fun project, I know I for one would be interested in seeing someone tear down a flat6 engine on the forum. I do hope you post pics of the build
Did this years ago, the threads are captured on my web site:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...out_the_series

When I posted this on Rennlist (and the threads are still here) it was a multi-part series that took months to work though. Lots of fun!

Cheers,

Mik

Quick Reply: Ultimate Street Engine