993 Forum 1995-1998

Ultimate Street Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
In my mind... When you're talking about ULTIMATE street engine, you gotta bring up ITBs. Sure they're not the best bang for the buck, and yes they certainly add complexity and pretty much necessitate an ECU change, but if we're talking ultimate smiles per hour and instant throttle response shenanigans, you just can't beat em!!!!
I agree, I think we need to categorize this "Ultimate Street Engine" out a little:

1. No Holes bared, ***** to the Wall, Money No object Street Engine. (This is the one to scare women and children)
  • GT3 Bottom End (Crank, Rods Oil Pump etc)
  • Custome Pistons and Cylinders (103 to 104mm) Yielding 3.9 to 3.9
  • 9M Heads with all the goodies (Titanium retainers, Billet rockers etc etc.)
  • CAMS - Matched to Intake, Exhaust, piston, combustion chanber etc.)
  • ITB's - For me ones with a common plenum on top just like the 993 RSR)
  • Motec or Similar engine management system and CDI Spark control
  • Custom headers and Exhaust

2: The "I like all the goodies but just cannot afford it" engine
  • As above without ITB's and Motec, something very similar to the Blue RSCS build of 9M.

3. The "Smog nazies are strong with this one" engine

One for those that have annual inspections, that include

As in #1, with the following adjustments:
  • Stock Intake
  • Stock exhaust (its pretty good either way) with some Fisters
  • RS Cams instead of something to lumpy that won't pass emmissions

Just my thoughts
Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
In my mind... When you're talking about ULTIMATE street engine, you gotta bring up ITBs.

You want ITB's? These are 3.6 litre, 3.75 litre, 3.82 litre and 4.0 litre 9m solutions. All have stock 9m billet heads & 9m ITBs, all run headers (of various design), all run on Motec. Enjoy.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NineMeister
You want ITB's? These are 3.6 litre, 3.75 litre, 3.82 litre and 4.0 litre 9m solutions. All have stock 9m billet heads & 9m ITBs, all run headers (of various design), all run on Motec. Enjoy.
Thanks Steven and Colin.

I like the breakdown into groups,and I guess I would fall into the third,as I still need to satisfy the "smog *****"
I may have to stick with 3.6 and RS cams with RS valves.

The graph is pretty impressive Colin,but can you run ITB's with a stock 97 ECU,or a ref lashed one?

Thanks for all the input.

Emerald
Old 04-11-2013, 02:29 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

:corn

i am learning there are ways around the smog police...provided what's coming out the tailpipe is clean...and i'm in the worst of the worst states for EC.

Visual inspection in CA covers:
a. Emission Label
b. Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve
c. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)
d. EVAP System (Evaporation Control)
e. Catalytic Converter (CAT)
f. Oxygen Sensor (O2 Sensor)
g. Air Injection System & Smog Pump

in addition:
"Aftermarket Performance Car Parts
Installing Aftermarket Parts: I want to install some aftermarket performance parts on my car's engine but I'm worried I might have a problem passing the CA smog check. I want to install a turbo unit, air intake unit, and exhaust headers. How can I find out if the upgrade parts I want to use are California smog legal, and won't fail the emissions test? What about OEM parts?
What You Must Have: Engine performance upgrade components such as upgrade ECU, turbo units, exhaust headers, intake manifolds, and other emissions related components can pose smog check problems, however if proof is shown that the upgrade units are legal for use in California (they posses an EO number) or they are OEM parts, they will not cause a vehicle to fail the California smog check. EO stands for Executive Order. This is a number given to the emission upgrade component by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The EO number indicates the performance upgrade part is California emissions legal. Most manufactures of aftermarket performance parts will stamp the EO number on the unit or they will print in the unit's manual or other document which pertains directly to the performance upgrade component being installed or inspected. Most late model upgrade components however will have the EO number stamped on the upgrade parts body.
You must present this number to the smog station where your vehicle will be getting a smog check in order to pass the Visual portion of the smog inspection.

Which Parts Are Smog Legal? Aftermarket engine upgrade components sold at local California automotive part stores are CARB approved and posses EO numbers. Buying an upgrade component locally in California is a safe method of performing engine upgrades.

Performance upgrade components bought online or out-of-state might require a little bit of leg work to insure they will not cause a California smog check failure.

A non-emission related component does not need an EO number. A typically non-emission related upgrade component is the air filter unit. Air filter units which do not have any sensors on them and allow for the proper connection of all existing air intake hoses and vacuum lines are not considered emission components in most cases. "

i have to research further to understand what additional "leg work" is required because as far as i can tell Kai's engine was developed with OEM parts and therefore, if it runs clean, in theory at least, it should pass a CA smog. if there are states with more restrictive emissions regulations than CA i don't know about them...hence if it can pass CA it should pass anywhere.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by e3photo
Thanks Steven and Colin.

The graph is pretty impressive Colin,but can you run ITB's with a stock 97 ECU,or a ref lashed one?

Emerald
No, if you want ITBs, you have to have Motec (or similar). It is possible to configure the 55 pin 95 ecu to run on throttle position, that's how Porsche mapped their 993 Cup engines, but in practise a Motec system will be easier to configure and more flexible to future developments for the engine builder and owner.

If you need to pass smog and use the stock ecu, your choice is going to be limited by the stock intake, hence 350hp is possible but not much more. Hardly ultimate, but that's the facts.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

No, if you want ITBs, you have to have Motec (or similar). It is possible to configure the 55 pin 95 ecu to run on throttle position, that's how Porsche mapped their 993 Cup engines, but in practise a Motec system will be easier to configure and more flexible to future developments for the engine builder and owner.

If you need to pass smog and use the stock ecu, your choice is going to be limited by the stock intake, hence 350hp is possible but not much more. Hardly ultimate, but that's the facts.
Yeah, I guess it should read "Ultimate Engine from Stock ECU"

Thanks,
Emerald

Last edited by e3photo; 04-11-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This is about as good an effort as possible with a stock ecu:
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:15 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, and as a very happy 9M customer (about 40k miles and counting most of it on the track but still a daily driver) of Colin, for me the ultimate street 993 is leave bottom end alone, leave capacity at 3.6l and go 9M heads, cams, lifters, springs, live remap etc and come out with 350 HP and more mid range torque than you can shake a stick at!

I actually have in my garage a set of genuine RS 3.8 barrels, pistons, and (non RS obviously) throttle bodies and injectors, but cant justify fitting them and going motronic, will not really be street in my opinion... they are just gathering dust and taunting me
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

This is about as good an effort as possible with a stock ecu:
That actually looks great. I can't see needing any more for a daily driver.

What has to be changed,if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks
Emerald
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by '95 993
Yup, and as a very happy 9M customer (about 40k miles and counting most of it on the track but still a daily driver) of Colin, for me the ultimate street 993 is leave bottom end alone, leave capacity at 3.6l and go 9M heads, cams, lifters, springs, live remap etc and come out with 350 HP and more mid range torque than you can shake a stick at!

I actually have in my garage a set of genuine RS 3.8 barrels, pistons, and (non RS obviously) throttle bodies and injectors, but cant justify fitting them and going motronic, will not really be street in my opinion... they are just gathering dust and taunting me
Sounds like a winner. The more I read and research,the less enthusiastic I get about 3.8.
It sounds like you did it right.

Emerald
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by '95 993
0-150mph stock non-Varioram = 44.5 seconds
0-150mph stock Varioram = 42.1 seconds
0-150mph 9m 993nVr +2 (this car) = 32.6 seconds
0-150mph 9m 993Vr +2 = 32.2 seconds

0-150mph 9m 993RS with 3.8 ITB race engine = 20.7seconds

Old 04-26-2013, 03:31 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

0-150mph stock non-Varioram = 44.5 seconds
0-150mph stock Varioram = 42.1 seconds
0-150mph 9m 993nVr +2 (this car) = 32.6 seconds
0-150mph 9m 993Vr +2 = 32.2 seconds

0-150mph 9m 993RS with 3.8 ITB race engine = 20.7seconds

good gawd! has anyone in the States (besides the original Singer) installed the 9M products???? i know those of us who want more NA power drool over these components and their results...there has to be at least one person on this board who has a 9M engine...right????????
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Colin,
Is it more of just an ease of tuning issue and not really a technical reason? Or is there a specific feature missing from the Motronic? (full-disclosure: one of my cars plans to be your customer)
Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
I did regear.....now I'm thinking of a fun fall project,and your engine looks like just the ticket.

Emerald
For a street car a regear will keep most people pretty happy for awhile IMHO. I still think about a power upgrade but I really don't need it and I've got other projects to consider too. I will be in the UK later this year. I wonder if I'll have room in my luggage for a set of 9M heads
Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if it's been mentioned. but I would go forced induction. My car is very streetable.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Street Engine