Sponsored by:

Hi-Fi option - connecting the Nokia amp

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:35 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi-Fi option - connecting the Nokia amp

I am going back to stock on an install made by a prior owner and am looking for the 25 pin plug that plugs into the Nokia Amp. This plug outputs to the speakers for the Hi-Fi option.
Any idea where I could get one of these plugs, or could I make something up that would work just as well. The prior install by-passed the amp with a spliced in cable to drive the speakers direct from the HU.

Thanks, Frank
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 252 Posts

It's a Tyco type 827534-1. You'll need the metal pins as well: 925596-1. Tyco deliver samples for free. It's the same as one of the CCU connectors, you might have luck at a dismantler.
I would not put much money in using a original Nokia amp, it's crap compared to modern solutions.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the plug.

http://elcodis.com/parts/279834/827534-1.html

Old 03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Excellent, thanks. <edit> ... ok, not so good since I need a minimum of 100 pieces to order and a minimum order size of $150. I'll try the 'sample' route. Does anyone know if the Nokia amps from different models (996, Boxsters) would have the same plug or would be compatabile with the 993 amp in case I search ebay or the auto wreckers? <end edit>

As for the amp itself, I understand it may have limitations but I am not that fussy (at least at this point).

- Frank

Last edited by frankv; 03-17-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: More information
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM
lemonlib
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car does not leave you much space to put a new amp. you have an area of about 10 inches by 6 under the passenger seat. the 930 you had only one jetronic ecu. and the drivers side was all free to install anything you want. but 993 is another animal..both driver side and passenger side seat are full of modules..

so solution 1) install the crappy nokia amp..if you still find a serviceable unit.

2) use the same head unit. get a sound processor. get a 5 channel amp and change out the stock 17 year old speakers.

3) go ahead change everything..head unit..an amp all the speakers.. and add a descent sub.

but the big huge question is where do you mount the amps and processor the car is pretty packed?

lemon
Old 03-17-2013, 01:56 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

There a few modern amps that will fit under the px seat in place of the nokia amp - see crutchfield.

crutchfield said that for the 993 speakers an amp was not really needed if using a modern head unit.

however, to me it is hardly worth the trouble and cost of a new amp, head unit. speakers etc. A recent thread quoted $1700 for an upgrade!

I bought a new Sony head unit from Amazon for $65.00 [with 4 x 20 W output which is quite sufficient for the OE speakers] and used the OE wiring harness connector under the px seat but removed the nokia amp.

For me, it is quite sufficient - it runs cd, radio, aux from ipad, etc, pandora and usb.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I don't really want to morph this is into a discussion on audio options since there are some really good threads out there already.

My goal though to have the CDR220 for the stock look and replace the speakers at a minimum (the current ones are pretty much toast, replacement options still being investigated). At this point I am not even sure if the Nokia amp I have is in working order.

As an aside and as per usual one task opens the door for others :-(. In routing the DIN cable I discover some nice soggy soundproofing under the (dry) carpets so I spent part of the day drying out and trying to trace the source of the water ingress. Lots of threads of that as well
Old 03-18-2013, 01:38 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

OE speakers are still available from your Porsche dealer - not expensive.

Incidentally, when the 993 first came out, i don't recall seeing any reviewer mentioning how poor the audio package was.

Many decry it now [after 13 to 17 years of wear, deterioration is to be expected] but was it so bad when new?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by x50type
OE speakers are still available from your Porsche dealer - not expensive.

Incidentally, when the 993 first came out, i don't recall seeing any reviewer mentioning how poor the audio package was.

Many decry it now [after 13 to 17 years of wear, deterioration is to be expected] but was it so bad when new?

Back in the day the HiFi speaker option wasn't all that - as they say. "not worth the extra money" and "only slightly better than stock" is what the dealership sales guy's would tell you. "However the doors on the HiFi optioned cars look cool"

I can tell you,, the HiFi speaker option coupled with the Compact Disc CDR210 radio w/CD changer was a disappointment. The Porsche sales literature didn’t really promise much or describe the HiFi in much detail if I recall. The systems audio character could be described as “Classic German car audio” – No dynamic’s, lack luster in sound, but a step in the right direction. I've been a constant owner of Porsche's since 1975, if ya count the '74 914 but mostly 911s.

Through the years the 993s audio system was left intact for purist pursuits (<10 tens fast), however with today’s herculean DSP modules the existing OEM speakers/drivers, CDR210 head unit can all be actively controlled in ways only dreamed about in the 1990’s production years.

With today’s DSP you can shine a sneaker.

Quick Reply: Hi-Fi option - connecting the Nokia amp