Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Way to bypass Drive Block?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some may not know that you do not need to cycle through the lock/unlock process to start an unlocked car.
Just turn the key to the on position, press the lock button on the fob, the red light on the door sill will flash
but the doors will not lock, then turn key clockwise to the start position.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 PM
993_TJC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realized a while back that if you unlock the car, get in and start it right away the fob does not need pressed again. Or if the car stalls, just turn the key off and start without the fob.
Before that knowledge the system was a pain.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Mark, don't know about this....please enlighten me.
+1 whats with the no clutch? Curious.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:53 AM
Christian J
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 911 is not a daily driver and after years of convertible ownership I never leave anything of value in the car so the windows are usually left open and doors unlocked. I NEVER worry about theft. I'm with the OP that its clunky, annoying & goofy to have to blip the fob even with an unlocked car. I often loan/trade my cars with a few enthusiast friends and have to train them on a system which is not intuitive or similar to other cars. Of course, most of the cars in our loaner pool are vintage and have no fobs. There's something nice about flipping the keys to an appreciative friend and only having to say 'reverse is right and down'. No PIN or programming required!
Believe me, I am comfortable with technology and employ a rigorous 'pre-flight' routine when using a motorcycle so I really can manage the disarming process without a sticky note reminder although I suppose that I could make a tidy little sign with a label maker... What about the precious seconds lost at every start? Whats the point of a left hand ignition switch now? Porsche never would have won Le Mans with Drive Block. Sadly, I discovered that the fix is straightforward yet $1000 so I suppose I'll continue to deal with my useless immobilizer and complain only to a small group of sympathetic RL'ers
Achieve inner peace; lose the Drive Block
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

If you want to leave it unlocked, leave the key in the ignition and the immobilizer won't arm.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 675 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Does anyone think the drive block has actually stopped the car being stolen.
Which is why you never rely on a mass produced system; aftermarket or production. The info to those is available. Now a custom self designed system, try Googling that. It might leave, but on a flatbed with the auxilliary horns blaring.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 277 Posts

Unless the clutch switch at the base of the pedal cluster has been by-passed, the clutch must be depressed before the car will start. Failure or mis-adjustment of this microswitch has been the cause of many people blaming the IMMOBILIZER when such is not the case. If the switch has been by-passed, the car can be started w/o depressing the clutch which is easier on the t/o bearing but requires assurance that the car is out of gear...otherwise, brain fade will get you in trouble!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Mark, don't know about this....please enlighten me.
Pressing the clutch in while starting is supposed to be harder on the center crank bearings.

Originally Posted by Christian J
My 911 is not a daily driver and after years of convertible ownership I never leave anything of value in the car so the windows are usually left open and doors unlocked. I NEVER worry about theft. I'm with the OP that its clunky, annoying & goofy to have to blip the fob even with an unlocked car. I often loan/trade my cars with a few enthusiast friends and have to train them on a system which is not intuitive or similar to other cars. Of course, most of the cars in our loaner pool are vintage and have no fobs. There's something nice about flipping the keys to an appreciative friend and only having to say 'reverse is right and down'. No PIN or programming required!
Believe me, I am comfortable with technology and employ a rigorous 'pre-flight' routine when using a motorcycle so I really can manage the disarming process without a sticky note reminder although I suppose that I could make a tidy little sign with a label maker... What about the precious seconds lost at every start? Whats the point of a left hand ignition switch now? Porsche never would have won Le Mans with Drive Block. Sadly, I discovered that the fix is straightforward yet $1000 so I suppose I'll continue to deal with my useless immobilizer and complain only to a small group of sympathetic RL'ers
Achieve inner peace; lose the Drive Block
Precious seconds? Are you an ambulance driver or Batman?

Seriously, I have a neatly printed label above my ignition switch to not depress the clutch when starting. It looks fine in a race car where lots of other things are labeled but I understand it could appear out of place on a street car.

No label needed for the drive block. To me, it's as simple and automatic as walking up to a modern car and hitting the door unlock button on a remote. If I futz around in the car before lighting it up, I've learned to hit the 993's fob button before turning the key.

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Unless the clutch switch at the base of the pedal cluster has been by-passed, the clutch must be depressed before the car will start. Failure or mis-adjustment of this microswitch has been the cause of many people blaming the IMMOBILIZER when such is not the case. If the switch has been by-passed, the car can be started w/o depressing the clutch which is easier on the t/o bearing but requires assurance that the car is out of gear...otherwise, brain fade will get you in trouble!
Our cars may be spec'd out entirely differently, but my late model build '95 does not have a clutch switch. I seriously doubt that the two previous owners, a doctor and a real estate developer, took the time to modify the bone-stock 993 I bought eleven years ago
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Our cars may be spec'd out entirely differently, but my late model build '95 does not have a clutch switch. I seriously doubt that the two previous owners, a doctor and a real estate developer, took the time to modify the bone-stock 993 I bought eleven years ago
Mine doesn't have that switch either. Only micro switch in the pedal cluster is for cruise control. Starts without depressing the clutch.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Is there a way to bypass drive block system."

Usually results in problematic DME ECM issues, e.g. emissions tests.

Bottom line: Not a good mod, if one desires to maintain the 993's resale value!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

thrust bearing wear.

something about applying forward pressure to the crank (through the pressure plate) while cranking (little oil pressure) tends to cause thrust bearing wear.

As for the immobilizer, when its operating properly, it is not an annoyance at all.

get in, turn key to position 2, press button, start car.

what the hell is the big deal.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Per the esteemed Steve Weiner:

https://rennlist.com/forums/5202760-post12.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-or-turbo.html
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
thrust bearing wear.

something about applying forward pressure to the crank (through the pressure plate) while cranking (little oil pressure) tends to cause thrust bearing wear.

As for the immobilizer, when its operating properly, it is not an annoyance at all.

get in, turn key to position 2, press button, start car.

what the hell is the big deal.
Agreed. If you get in the habit of locking the car when you leave it (IMHO a good habit), the immobilizer is a non-issue.

This post also reminds me that I need to disable the clutch switch in my 97.....

Cheers,
Joe
Old 02-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Is there a way to bypass drive block system."

Usually results in problematic DME ECM issues, e.g. emissions tests.

Bottom line: Not a good mod, if one desires to maintain the 993's resale value!
Au contraire, my good man.

I do this all the time and this has ZERO effect on emissions.

Other concerns,..that's completely subjective.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Buh-BAMMM!

Quick Reply: Way to bypass Drive Block?