Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

LWF, which pressure plate, RS or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWF, which pressure plate, RS or turbo?

Getting ready to go to a LWF and have a question for those who have done it. Which pressure plate did you choose, the standard RS unit or the twin-turbo?

I may do an occasional DE or AX but most driving is street and I'm thinking the lighter pedal pressure of the standard unit might be nicer although for the same cost is the tt unit the smarter way to go. Hmmmm. Pro...Cons?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Good luck. I had the same question last week but no answers. I ended up getting RS parts and not going with the turbo parts. I just wasn't clear on what parts were interchangeable. I think the issue was that the turbo has some sort of assist on the clutch that the NA doesn't have.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 365 Posts

I'd buy a kit that provides all the matched parts, they still use pretty much the same parts including the 964RS flywheel, on the 997 GT3RS.

note the 993RS/CS(M003) and 993 Cup were the only ones that came w/ the single mass set up, all the others including 993RS M002 used dual mass.

when I order parts for mine I specified all 964RS parts but i think that they have been supersceded w/ 996 or 997 #s.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

I plan to buy a kit that is properly matched but was interested to hear from those that have done this install. Would like to know how much difference or stiffer the clutch pedal feels with the turbo pressure plate vs. the standard RS pressure plate.

After a little research I learned the turbo (the car, not the clutch) comes with a power assist to help ( I believe) with the increased pedal pressure, hence the desire to avoid putting in a pressure plate in my non-turbo car that requies high effort since the na cars don't have the power assist.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 964RS parts seem to work fine w/ my 3.8RS & again are still used on 997GT3RS w/ way more hp & torque

The turbo just uses a slightly different slave cylider is all.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last clutch in my car was a 996 GT3 unit. Worked a treat ... not worked hard either.

BTW: LWF and RS clutch is a great mod for those who didnt get it from new...
Old 03-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 320 Posts

The RS LWF and clutch is a fine package for the street. It's my understanding that that there are pressure plates and clutch disks that are better suited for track use such as the TT pressure plate and 996 Cup car clutch.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

My advice would be call Bob Brooks (aka: Viper Bob). He will get you all the right stuff for the job.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=viper+bob
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The 964RS parts seem to work fine w/ my 3.8RS & again are still used on 997GT3RS w/ way more hp & torque

The turbo just uses a slightly different slave cylider is all.
Finally found it, yes, the turbo uses the power steering pump to energize an assist on the clutch.

Das macht nichts, use the 964RS or 996GT3 or 997 GT3RS parts
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The RS LWF and clutch is a fine package for the street. It's my understanding that that there are pressure plates and clutch disks that are better suited for track use such as the TT pressure plate and 996 Cup car clutch.
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The 964RS parts seem to work fine w/ my 3.8RS & again are still used on 997GT3RS w/ way more hp & torque.
Thanks, that's what I was wanting to hear. Didn't want to miss the opportunity to upgrade but sometimes too much of good thing is just too much. I think the standard RS will be just fine.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob Brooks usually matches the rs flywheel with TT pressure plate for more clamping force.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

One should be careful about mixing & matching parts,...

If you don't need the extra clamping force for the street or with a mild engine, using a pressure plate with more clamping force puts more stress on the TOB and crankshaft thrust bearings. Remember, you depress the clutch to start the motor and guess what takes the pressure when the pedal is held down? the center crank bearings.

When some use a thin (0w-40) oil, thats not a recipe good for optimal engine life.

As always, parts selection should be matched to the "mission" as its NOT a one-size-fits-all world.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viper Bob at Vortex put in his light weight flywheel kit on my C4 with the higher clamping pressure plate. My understanding is the kit contains a RS flywheel and TT pressure plate. The change is awesome and does not require more force to shift than before. I also got a new slave cylinder in the process so maybe I don't know what an "easy" clutch should feel like. The upgrade is a vast improvement and my wife says the car is easier to drive now than it was before the upgrade - go figure. I couldn't be more pleased with the upgrade and Bob and his crew were a pleasure to work with. Good luck with the upgrade, you won't be disappointed.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
One should be careful about mixing & matching parts,...

If you don't need the extra clamping force for the street or with a mild engine, using a pressure plate with more clamping force puts more stress on the TOB and crankshaft thrust bearings. Remember, you depress the clutch to start the motor and guess what takes the pressure when the pedal is held down? the center crank bearings.

When some use a thin (0w-40) oil, thats not a recipe good for optimal engine life.

As always, parts selection should be matched to the "mission" as its NOT a one-size-fits-all world.
+ 1
Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

I am tempted to go with the tt pressure plate but my car, other than the RSR mufflers is stock hp and it seems based on what Bill and Steve are saying, it seems to make the most sense to go standard RS.

Quick Reply: LWF, which pressure plate, RS or turbo?