Using two post lift as parking lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Using two post lift as parking lift

Can I use two post lift as parking lift for Porsche? The suspension will be in full drop positon. Will that cause any wear or damage?

I know this has been discussed before but I could not find it using search.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

You can but its the droop I'd worry about. I guess it depends on timeframe and if your lift mfg has an adapter to support by the wheels. I know Mohawk lifts have a kit, do t know about any others though
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I have seen this done without issue, but they have always removed the wheels.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked with Rotary and they do not have kit like the one you describe which is made by Mohawk.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a friend with a Mohawk and uses the kit to support the car at the tires. I personally would not let my suspension hang even with the wheels and tires off. I think it just leads to problems with the struts etc. as they were never engineered for that position/load.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be able to strap the suspension in a position where the shocks are not supporting the suspension weight. What I am thinking wouldn't be pretty, but it would take the weight...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Mark Harris> does he have any issue with his wheel size? Mohawk's site suggests it is works well for 13-16" tires. Or am I looking at the wrong thing.

I am toying with a lift as I have 16' ceiling in my garage If Mohawks 2 post with this kit gets good reviews it seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/consum...ging-adaptors/
Old 02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

last summer the shop we both used at the track was either buying or trying to buy these from utahrock.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-car-lift.html
I don't know the end result or if he's interested in making any more sets, rocky always seemed very busy.
but you could try and contact him.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I have a friend with a Mohawk and uses the kit to support the car at the tires. I personally would not let my suspension hang even with the wheels and tires off. I think it just leads to problems with the struts etc. as they were never engineered for that position/load.
I am not sure what evidence you have on this assumption about not being engineered for this? I am sure the engineers designed full-extension against the stops into the shock given they are at the position when the springs are mounted. I have not seen any statement from the shock manufacturers that this is a issue at all, but its possible, just have not seen it. I have also not seen anyone on the list report shock failure because they have been hanging at full extension for a time. If you have seen it, I would be interested in reading about it.

For the rear suspension, the shocks are not really "holding" the suspension in place, if you have ever removed them, the suspension holds itself pretty well in position, in fact you have to often compress the shock slightly to put the bottom pin in. The load on the rear shocks while suspended I think is minimal.

The front shocks have more of a load on them since the lower control arm can also swing lower than the shock and the shock is structurally part of the suspension, but the lower arm too has resistance since the swivel is on a locked rubber bushing. I suspect if there are issues, it would be on the front.

It is true though that the front and rear shocks would be a full extension because the coil-over springs will push the shock that way. That load is often more than the suspension itself will load the shock.

I would think there is no issue for storage on a lift for a weekly or monthly basis, although over longer periods not so sure. I can see that taking the wheels off would definitely take weight off the suspension and help with any loading issues, but you will still have some loading on the shocks due the springs - which just means the shock will be bottomed out or at its internal stops, not a big issue. You might have a long-term issue with the shock rods themselves, since will be exposed to the open air and perhaps prone to corrosion from the air-born moisture.

Just my opinion though...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use mine to park two. I release the lift down on to the safety brackets and have had no issues. It gets harder if your car above drips anything, but I can't imagine it would be to hard to construct a drip tray of some kind Ron.

I'd post a picture but it won't let me anymore
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

last summer the shop we both used at the track was either buying or trying to buy these from utahrock.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-car-lift.html
I don't know the end result or if he's interested in making any more sets, rocky always seemed very busy.
but you could try and contact him

I did send a PM to utahrock to see if he had any interest in making anymore of his wheel sets.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I have stored my former 993 on jack stands months at a time to save the tires from flat spotting. I don't see any issue in doing this.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
lburney
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Mark Harris> does he have any issue with his wheel size? Mohawk's site suggests it is works well for 13-16" tires. Or am I looking at the wrong thing.

I am toying with a lift as I have 16' ceiling in my garage If Mohawks 2 post with this kit gets good reviews it seems like it would be the best of both worlds.

[/url]
From my perspective it is the best of both worlds.

We routinely store/lift vehicles with 16-20" wheels and have never had any issues.ATTACH]701295[/ATTACH]

These pictures of our X5 (111" wheelbase) with winter tires 255/55-18 on the floor and in the air should answer your questions. The summer tires are 275/40-20 front and 315/35-20 rear. They also present no problems.
Am not sure about the 13-16" caution unless the target garage floor is so unlevel as to prevent the wheel adapters from resting on the floor?

Send me a PM if you have other questions.

V/R lin
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM
bostonbeast
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hellio,

I'm very interested, please provide make and model or what models does the wheel adapter supports?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I can see this solution as having just as many "issues" as just leaving the suspension hanging for long term storage - you now have two relatively "sharp shear loads" on each tire - BUT I can also see that this can be really useful for a two post lift if you want to lift the car with the suspension loaded, or increase head-room for underneath, but it still has long term storage risks.. neat product though!

I like this design a bit better since the engagement point on the wheels is flatter and more distributed.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Using two post lift as parking lift