Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?

So, I have a deposit down and price negotiated on a 95 993 C2. I have to decide if I am going all in on this one and wanted your thoughts and opinions before the final deed…

Thanks to everyone in advance for all I have gleened so far, I have enough info to be dangerous! Also, I just became a paid member, as I plan to use the resources here even more now that I am about to become a proud 993 owner...

Details
993 C2 1995 Late Build (6/95) - No Basket Handle Rear Brake
Black on Black – All original - 62,000 miles
Limited Slip and Comfort Seats, 17 inch cups, otherwise sparse
1995 is preferable to me for OBD1, as I am in CA (Hate to loose HP, but don’t want CA smog headaches down the road)
Yes, it has the immobilizer–bit of a bummer
(Is it possible that it has the newer rear end parts since it is late build? Trying to confirm this)

Car is at a Porsche dealer… 3 owner car, trade in from a long time customer. Here are the really interesting details, aside from correct year/color combo/options (for me) and not so high miles…

Recent service just done at Porsche dealership…
Top end has been gone thru
(states leakdown was done after top end work and all cyl are 1-3%, awaiting specific cyl #'s readings)
Drilled out SAI ports
New exhaust valve guides
All new engine seals
All new wires, plugs, cap/rotors
All new Belts
New Clutch
Rewired SAI pump
Front and Rear Brake Pads and Flush
New Rear Tires

ALL warranted Porsche dealer work, I have work order that I can post. Looking to get some perspective...

Interior
Looks very very clean
(minus ugly door speakers installed and crap head unit, would replace with stock grills, nice unit, etc.)

Exterior
Overall body looks good, no dings/dents, paint is ok - rate 8-9 on most,(never repainted, all original paint) BUT hood and bumper, wheel arches all have a fair amount of road chips, etc. - rate those areas 7 at best

Mechanical
Not sure what else it needs, they say it is solid and was completely gone through, see list of service. It does have original shocks.

I think overall it is a great find, but the down side to me is - Paint on hood and front bumper is rashed/chipped – Black really shows it and I'm hoping this can be addressed without a re-spray? I have seen some amazing restorative detail work documented online... costly, but maybe that would suffice if I could find someone really good and then I could keep all original paint. Love to hear thoughts on this, or if anyone has dealt with hood chips like this. See the attached pix of those problem areas.

Also, I know I may be frowned upon for this question, but I think I am in a grey area here… should I get a PPI from outside source before going forward? Since the car is a Porsche dealer and they just went through the car and did all this work, is it overkill? They are happy to have someone look at it, in fact encourage it… I just can not find any other Porsche mechanics in the immediate area, the car is in Jacksonville FL. If anyone has a lead for an independent air cooled PPI in that general area?

Any other insights or thoughts are much appreciated… look forward to more posting and hopefully driving soon!
Attached Images       
Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Did they use Porsche oem exhaust valve guides?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I would get a PPI . It is best to have another shop take a close look at things the dealer may be overlooking. The dealer does not see a lot of 993's but it is my guess an independent shop would be more familiar with problem areas.

Definitely pull both headlights, compare them - look and inspect for non matching hardware behind them. Look close at all light lenses, looking for some newer than the others.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

PPI, do it, period
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike Pezely
Did they use Porsche oem exhaust valve guides?
No idea, they sent the heads out... I will find out. Are the factory not as good? Attached is page of the work order for engine work...
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Always, always, always get a PPI from an impartial third party shop.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
PPI, do it, period
Agreed, just not sure where... on the hunt for a shop.

I almost bought another 6 months back and upon leak down test Cyl 1 was 25%, so passed.

I should know better...
Old 02-05-2013, 04:52 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by techman1
I would get a PPI . It is best to have another shop take a close look at things the dealer may be overlooking. The dealer does not see a lot of 993's but it is my guess an independent shop would be more familiar with problem areas.

Definitely pull both headlights, compare them - look and inspect for non matching hardware behind them. Look close at all light lenses, looking for some newer than the others.
Is your comment in regard to repair work?

Also, your in Orlando... any leads in FL, nearer to Jacksonville?

Thx
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

btw, i find it strange that they didn't replace both the intake and exhaust valve guides. The intakes were probably fine, but you'd think that when you had it apart, you'd do them all...especially if upgraded materials are used.

I used TRE in West hollywood. Wasn't the most detailed PPI I've ever seen, but it hit the key points.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I'm guessing this was done at Brumos Porsche?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

A little uncommon to do valve guides on a 1995 (no SAI CEL) at only 62k miles. Presumably you would only do it because oil consumption was high.

And also weird to sell it immediately afterwards.

Just get a PPI and hopefully you'll be fine. Make sure they know the engine was JUST rebuilt.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

UPDATE ON PPI

I just spoke to Seth at Technical-Dimensions, independent Porsche-Audi in Jacksonville, who I found on Pelican. Talked for a bit and he seems to know his stuff, I have scheduled a PPI with him... if anyone has any additional info on the shop or other thoughts?

http://www.technical-dimensions.com
(site seems to be down on my browser?)
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Make sure they know the engine was JUST rebuilt.
as i can see, the bottom end was not touched, so there may still be some leakage past the rings.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm guessing this was done at Brumos Porsche?
Brumos. Correct.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
A little uncommon to do valve guides on a 1995 (no SAI CEL) at only 62k miles. Presumably you would only do it because oil consumption was high.

And also weird to sell it immediately afterwards.

Just get a PPI and hopefully you'll be fine. Make sure they know the engine was JUST rebuilt.
That is what Seth at technical-dimension just said.

We will see.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice looking 993, GL with the purchase and PPI. If it doesn't work out, don't let the OBDII scare you away from the '96-98 993's, the issues are much overblown and as with all things 993 there is a fix for everything!

Quick Reply: Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?