993 Forum 1995-1998

Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nice Post

I admire your patience and detail with this process. These 993 guys have a lot of knowledge and experience. I bought my 97 99374,000 miles last September and had a complete repaint. It was OK with quite a bit of chipds from track use, but it had been painted before at different times. Now I have one thickness and new front and rear bumpers. I love the car and you will also. Best of luck.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM
mdude
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksparrow
o Compression Engine compression numbers are very good- 225PSI ALL cylinders
Is it just me or is it odd that the compression figures are so close (224 to 225)? Those sound more like new engine tolerances and not something that is 16+ years old.

Disclaimer: I know zilch about technical issues so pardon if this is indeed normal...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Coyote
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is "almost" as fun as buying the car myself! The anticipation builds!!! Great thread!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by bella1
I admire your patience and detail with this process. These 993 guys have a lot of knowledge and experience. I bought my 97 99374,000 miles last September and had a complete repaint. It was OK with quite a bit of chipds from track use, but it had been painted before at different times. Now I have one thickness and new front and rear bumpers. I love the car and you will also. Best of luck.
Thanks, your car looks great... fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by mdude
Is it just me or is it odd that the compression figures are so close (224 to 225)? Those sound more like new engine tolerances and not something that is 16+ years old.

Disclaimer: I know zilch about technical issues so pardon if this is indeed normal...
No thats a good question, I personally do not know what is normal for this motor... that said remember the heads were off, the new guides installed and reseal done and correct me if I am wrong, but it seems this is more about wear than age of the car... thoughts anyone?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

As a data point to one of your original questions: My July '95 build, '95 model (#4088) has the updated rear suspension.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
As a data point to one of your original questions: My July '95 build, '95 model (#4088) has the updated rear suspension.
That is fantastic news... this is built a month earlier, this is number 3977, so 111 cars from yours... wish it was after! But that said, I hope it got the same treatment? I will have to figure out a way to confirm this. Also, do you use 96 specs when you align yours since it is technically a 96 rear end? I know that is even recommended for 95 in general from what I have read here.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

My car is set to the 993RS allignment specs published here and elsewhere. It transofrms the car into a go cart, and the transforms the tires into dust...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
My car is set to the 993RS allignment specs published here and elsewhere. It transofrms the car into a go cart, and the transforms the tires into dust...
I like
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Exclamation PIX OF ENGINE WORK

This is really interesting... I just got these pix from the dealer.

I will not profess to know anything about rebuilding a Porsche engine, I will leave that to you guys... last engine I touched was a Chevy V8 327, 25 years ago that I re-built for my 67 Camero in autoshop.

I see some basic things, like they did open up the bottom end, which I was not aware of... it looks like there might be new bearings, some new bolts, etc.; but beyond that, any thoughts from what you can see here and what the might mean are very appreciated!!!
Attached Images                
Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I'm surprised by their non liberal use of assembly lube. I'd also be a bit perturbed by the rtv, but we've discussed that.

doesn't look like they rebushed the rods. bolts look to be reused.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Exclamation MORE PIX

Some more...
Attached Images                
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm surprised by their non liberal use of assembly lube. I'd also be a bit perturbed by the rtv, but we've discussed that.

doesn't look like they rebushed the rods. bolts look to be reused.
Ok, thanks for the observations... appreciated.

Is there any upside to this work, considering it is meant to be a reseal only and not a full re-build... just trying to keep this framed correctly.

I know we all would have done it differently had it been out... that said, it is a refresh that is warranted for 2 years... by then maybe I can afford to get back into the motor!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Exclamation Last Few Pix

Last ones...
Attached Images      
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

honestly, it looks like the run of the mill reseal. As you noted, i would have done things different like cleaning up the ridge on the bore and the piston tops. Looks a little sloppy with sealant application as well, but i could be wrong.

Will it likely be just fine, yes. At some point you have to take a measured risk. I'd say go for it.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:07 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

honestly, it looks like the run of the mill reseal. As you noted, i would have done things different like cleaning up the ridge on the bore and the piston tops. Looks a little sloppy with sealant application as well, but i could be wrong.

Will it likely be just fine, yes. At some point you have to take a measured risk. I'd say go for it.
Understood... I agree, sealant looks a bit sloppy, but if it seals... I am hopping it will be fine, I plan to watch it closely and I will not hesitate to use the warranty for covered work... seems odd to say on a 17 year old car.

Just a quick question, what is the specific thought on the downside of the RTV? Is it a less good sealant or does it not withstand higher heat or? Just curious beyond it not being the original material specked... seems like lots of mods go on here and just currious to know the thinking on the downside of this sealant?

Thanks for all your great input!

Quick Reply: Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?