Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much experience here, but just my take on those photos.
Looks like quite a major rebuild.
Looks like tidy clean work, in a clean organised environment.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear lord they used a lot of 574 on the cam housings (the orange stuff). About 3X more than necessary. Probably won't hurt anything, but still....
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksparrow

Just a quick question, what is the specific thought on the downside of the RTV? Is it a less good sealant or does it not withstand higher heat or? Just curious beyond it not being the original material specked... seems like lots of mods go on here and just currious to know the thinking on the downside of this sealant?

Thanks for all your great input!
well, since the bearing clearance is based on the case halves being fully together, it may be that this sealant is not the correct thickness when squeezed.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well, since the bearing clearance is based on the case halves being fully together, it may be that this sealant is not the correct thickness when squeezed.
Ok, understood, but nothing to do with the physical integrity of the sealant?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Question MORE DEALER INFO AND LSD QUESTION

Just got this in as well from Porsche dealer tech who checked car after PPI against their notes:

1.) Porsche has instructed our techs to use the black RTV, citing it is “better”. They are warranting this reseal for 2 years, at any authorized Porsche Service Center in the USA.

2.) No abnormal lifter noise with either a cold, or warm engine.

3.) The limited slip in the transmission is not ‘dead’ and is functioning correctly. The opposite wheel would spin in the reverse direction, like an ‘open’ differential, if the mechanism were not functioning. Brumos Porsche will guarantee this with our Brumos 90 day/1,000 mile power train warranty.

4.) There is no dry rotting or cracks on the fuel hose… it was cosmoline. We cleaned this off to avoid any further confusion.

5.) The left front fog light bulb has been replaced and this light is now functioning correctly.

6.) Yes, there are some wash swirls/stone chips/and minor scratches in the paint, but it is original and straight… as described.

The main thing I am hung up on at this point is the LSD... does this sound correct?

""The limited slip in the transmission is not ‘dead’ and is functioning correctly. The opposite wheel would spin in the reverse direction, like an ‘open’ differential, if the mechanism were not functioning.

This is converse to what the PPI mechanic said:

Option list indicates limited slip differential- either LSD is not present or clutch packs are worn out- only one wheel spins when turned- LSD even with low % slip ratio should see both wheels turn in direction of travel in tandem

Thoughts here guys?!?!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well now I know why we won't be able to buy any 574 for the next year or so......... (Yet another thing our recently departed friend Mr. Anderson clued me in on in 1980--don't overuse the 574. Even if you think you used too little, you probably used too much. And then it showed up in his books a few years later.)

Now onto the LSD. Anyone just try doing that other trick I was clued into back when I was a teen, and bought my first one, a 904 unit for my '68? Check the breakaway torque, and compare to the spec listed in the manual.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Exclamation SOME MORE PIX...

I somehow missed these... more of how it looked before teardown... look at the carbon in those SAI ports before they drilled them out!!!
Attached Images                
Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

That warranty sure is some piece of mind when buying a 18 year old car. She is pretty too.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts

Nothing you have mentioned so far would deter me if you like the car and the price

Last edited by 95_993; 02-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Exclamation LIMITED SLIP

So the one last thing holding me up on this, was the LSD, as they advertised the car with LSD as an option and offered a warranty on power train. But since I am out of state, I have no recourse once it leaves, as it is 90days/1000miles and I am on the other coast, so I wanted some proof that it worked or a credit.

To further the issue, the PPI said the limited slip was not working, but then after the dealer checked it, they said it was. Everything here on the site, sugested that the LSD might be shot and I was quite skeptical, so I sent many reference links about this issue to the dealer. A side note, they have done nothing but bend over backwards, surprised they didn't just tell me to take a hike, but I digress...

I asked them to check the differential, at the CV joints for the torque breakaway (specked between 30-57lbs as stated by Steve Weiner in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-wanted-2.html, which is stated as the correct way to conclusively test it.

They went one further, they tested the breakaway torque (which is currently at 50lbs) and pulled the diff so I could see pix, (even thought I am not 100% on exactly what I am looking at, I have a general understanding).

Here is the quote from dealer and pix,

"I met with our head tech this afternoon for an update. The mechanism checked out good, with breakaway for the limited slip measured at 50 ft/lbs. He has the differential removed from the vehicle and is physically breaking it down now to inspect the clutches for wear/debris. I will have photos over to you yet tonight/tomorrow."

I'm feeling pretty good as it seems well within spec... any thoughts about this from you guys who know more than me (which is most of you!!!)?

Thanks gents.
Attached Images              
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 277 Posts

Wow, bending over backward is an understatement!!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

You are seriously thinking of buying a used car from the State of Florida???

Just Kidding

You are one thorough buyer!

Despite all of the work done, non warranty things will pop up from time to time. Evidence the leaky timing chain cover, just no excuse for this after a rebuild....but it happens....still not a deal breaker IMHO.

Seems like they're saying the LSD is working fine but your PPI guy says it's not...perhaps you can pair the two techs up to compare notes and get a consensus. Might be a good $ drop point to close the deal.

Good luck and have fun driving it X-Country!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 AM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Academictech
You are seriously thinking of buying a used car from the State of Florida???

Just Kidding

You are one thorough buyer!

Despite all of the work done, non warranty things will pop up from time to time. Evidence the leaky timing chain cover, just no excuse for this after a rebuild....but it happens....still not a deal breaker IMHO.

Seems like they're saying the LSD is working fine but your PPI guy says it's not...perhaps you can pair the two techs up to compare notes and get a consensus. Might be a good $ drop point to close the deal.

Good luck and have fun driving it X-Country!

Haha, not as tough as moist guys on here seem to be when it comes to PPI, etc. And since it is at a dealer, I have taken the opportunity to vet the car as best I can.

Also, I am not sure I am completely confident in the PPI... I asked specifically for leak down and he gave me compression. Also, all he did was turn the rear wheels to check the LSD. I am more confident in the dealer assessment as they have been transparent and gone above and beyond to disclose the work done and how it was done. If the engine is in fact leaking from the timing chain, etc., which they say it is not, it is warranted buy Porsche for 2 years at any dealership and they will re-seal again.

If anyone has a response to the pix in regard to the differential, I would appreciate... otherwise I am working from the given torque numbers which seem to be at spec and therefor can only assume the LSD is working properly.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM
blacksparrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Academictech
Evidence the leaky timing chain cover, just no excuse for this after a rebuild....but it happens....still not a deal breaker IMHO.
And back to this point... the weeping the PPI noted, is residue left on cover prior to re-seal. They state no weeping, just poor cleaning of parts before re-assembly.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 AM
Rialas
Instructor

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Wow, bending over backward is an understatement!!
+1

Quick Reply: Pulling the trigger! Any thoughts?